Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tidying up after ourselves
  • Harry_the_Spider

Why is the car park at Philips Park awash with litter?

The fact that it is in the car park implies that the people dropping it arrived by car. A car big enough to carry the bottles and wrappers there in the first place is big enough to take them home again afterwards.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

because most people are self-absorbed idiots who don’t even give stuff like this a second thought.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

“someone else will clean it up”. 🙁 ^^^^

mikewsmith
    Free Member

people are dicks

beamends
    Free Member

dropping litter, espically in the countryside is one of my pet hates,!!! i usually end up picking up other peoples junk b#stards!

timb34
    Free Member

On a recent road ride, I stopped to pick up three used CO2 cartridges.

I was a bit puzzled as to who could have had the kind of puncture-geddon that required three, and who would have been carrying three anyway.

Later, a friend informed me that the local youth have taken to doing “balloons” where they fill up a balloon from a CO2 cartridge, then breath it in…

People are both weird and stupid.

annebr
    Free Member

I would say that often rubbish bins provided in carparks are inadequate and/or poorly designed. If they aren’t emptied many people will neatly place their litter beside the bin expecting it to be cleaned up soon but usually the wind will just blow it around and make the place look untidy and dirty.

Or the bin just doesn’t keep the rubbish in it. Open topped bins just get rubbish sucked out the top of them by the wind.

People do need to take everything they take in away with them when they leave. Regardless of bins.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Agreed. One of the few things that makes me really angry. No reason for it at all.

I was riding home the other week when I saw someone fly-tipping on one of the country lanes. I cut off the lane and go through a park before rejoining the road on the estate where I live, as I rejoined the road I saw the car that had been fly-tipping pulling into his driveway. I put the bike in the shed at home, walked the 5 minutes back to where his crap was and carried it back to his drive. 2 rubbish bags and the inner cardboard tube from a roll of carpet (or similar). It’s a shame the bags split when I put them on his drive, really made a mess of his front garden.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

It seems to be becoming even more of a problem, but it seems to be a societal problem. When I used to work as a teacher I was infuriated on a number of occasions by students dropping litter in the playground or on the field. When confronted about it they would often say: “That bloke who goes around picking it up gets paid to do it so it doesn’t matter if I drop stuff”. To which I would have to point out all of the more desirable or useful things that a groundskeeper in a school could be spending his time doing.

I’m all for litter sweeps of car parks by participants after events.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes I agree. My mate and I did a beach clean last week.
    1 hour and 5 bin bags later.
    Enjoyed it next time we will have more help.

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw a rider at the Dragon Ride on Sunday pull an empty gel packet out of his jersey, register he’d already used it – and deliberately throw it on the grass verge.

Too gobsmacked and knackered to distribute vigilante justice at the time, but if you’re reading this rider 5134 – you should’ve got a phone call from the organisers by now.

beamends
    Free Member

PocketShepherd – Member

Agreed. One of the few things that makes me really angry. No reason for it at all.

I was riding home the other week when I saw someone fly-tipping on one of the country lanes. I cut off the lane and go through a park before rejoining the road on the estate where I live, as I rejoined the road I saw the car that had been fly-tipping pulling into his driveway. I put the bike in the shed at home, walked the 5 minutes back to where his crap was and carried it back to his drive. 2 rubbish bags and the inner cardboard tube from a roll of carpet (or similar). It’s a shame the bags split when I put them on his drive, really made a mess of his front garden.
    Posted 56 minutes ago # Report-Post

id love to see his face when he saw all that in garden! however this would be one of the only officences id bother to call the razzers about, im sure a few grand fine would have worked as a better insentive,

do these people not know about the tip?!?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tidying up after ourselves’ is closed to new replies.