Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ticks
  • wallace1492
    Free Member

Out on the Corrie Grogain route yesterday, round from Arrochar. Superb circuit, great track down Glen Loin. But today found a nasty wee passenger….. tick on the back of my leg. Second one of the year…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve had a bout 5 this year so far. All nymphs, given the time of year thats not surprising. I can’t tell them apart from the mud/dust until I’ve showered and done the ‘tick inspection’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Away walking last month we got around 20 between 4 of us. are they getting worse? I only got one as a kid in total now they seem to be loads every time we go wild camping

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I just spend more time off the beaten track than I did.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Never had a tick despite riding on Dartmoor – My mate however gets them all 😉

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Its a good idea to tumble dry or put on a spin cycle your gear. Assuming you dont want a tick crawling off your camelback into the house.

stevious

Quite a few nymphs for me this year, but only 2 adults.

Second the cleaning of gear – my climbing trousers were housing a few after a recent trip to Torridon.

wallace1492
    Free Member

First one was a nymph, but one found this morning was an adult. Didnt stop to check its sex before crushing it between my fingernails.

ampthill

First time inScotland this year for ages (7 Stanes). I got my first tick (a nymph). Kids knocked them off before being bitte. the dog was alive with them

Maybe the wet start to the Scottish year?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Ticks have been on the increase for years, but apparently the last winter has been especially kind to ticks, midges etc because the snow covering on the ground duing much of the winter acted like a blanket to protect them from frost so this year is likely to be the worst ever.

One of my riding mates is a tick magnet and will pick up 4 or 5 on a ride when I get none. Skin So Soft, which we put on for the midges also seems to stop him picking up ticks so worth trying. It’s cheap so can’t harm, and you’ll have lovely soft legs and arms 🙂

richc
    Free Member

Lots of them in the Southwest this year, by dog was getting two a day in Leigh Woods in Bristol. The one on his lower eyelid was particularly nasty.

Definitely lots more about this year, than last.

lowey

Picked up my 1st one in the lakes this year. Orrible things.

matt_outandabout

Second one of the year…..

I manage about 2 a week….

piha
    Free Member

Friggin disgusting wee beasties.

I picked up a tick yesterday, my first one ever (that I’m aware of). I felt something tickling my back, so I gave it a bit of a rub and when I looked at my hand I discovered I had a tick on my finger. I’m a bit concerned that I might have broken the mouth parts off in my skin though. I had changed my clothes and was sitting in the pub after a particularly wet ride. I guess there was a chance the wee critter had been brought in a somebody’s clothes then scampered onto me. ‘Orrible.

richc
    Free Member

Do worry about leaving bits in you after rubbing them. As the **** take a lot more than a scratch to get out, you have to pinch there heads and twist to get them out and they seem to bury about 1/4 of their body into you when they first take hold.

charliedontsurf

here is a lovely song about ticks…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFt15NnrHOc[/video]

charliedontsurf

GaryLake
    Free Member

Saw my first one at Bristol Bikefest while I was filming. Little bugger crawling around on my tripod – got him before he’d found his way onto me. Judging by that finger nail diagram an adult male I’d guess. Did check myself over but now looking at the Nymph size I wonder if I’d be thorough enough… awful things.

pistola
    Free Member

Ticks have been getting worse (well, here to the north of Glasgow). i was speaking to a Gamekeeper about this and he reickons it’s due to two reasons: 1) less potent sheep dip is allowed nowadays (something to do with organo-phosphates or something; and 2) the local deer population has exploded and they are hosts and move the little critters around. Picked up my first tick of the year in mid-May, having put Autan on my legs but still he got me. i have found that only a Deet product works.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ticks’ is closed to new replies.