Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tickly Hacking cough…
  • Kryton57

Anyone else got it? I keep bumping into people who “…kenw a person who had it recently and it goes on for weeks…”. I’m hoping this isn’t true…

Paul-B

Yeah I’ve got one of those, currently on week 2.

Just been taking Robitussin cough meds at night which seems to help with sleep. Feel fine other than the incessant tickle at the back of my throat 😐

ebennett

Just had it, started about 17th March and the regular coughing only really went away last week, though it’s still lurking at the back if I try to push hard when I’m out on the bike. Still not feeling 100% either which could be post-viral fatigue.

It’s an annoying wee bugger, as Paul says you feel fine otherwise so you want to get out riding but know you shouldn’t! Hope you feel better!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

Exactly that – i start a serioud period of xc racing on Saturday so the timimg is terrible!

I appreciate it cant be cured but any over the counter ideas for reducing it temporarily?

blader1611
    Free Member

Nothing cures it other than time, i had it for 7 weeks and that seems to be about the average duration. Its really annoying as it never turns in to a hacking cough and it always feels like you cant quite cough up the phlegm.

ebennett

I tried a few things but none really worked. Mine mostly felt like I had gunk in my lungs that was irritating them so tried guaifenesin as it’s (allegedly) an expectorant. Jury is out on whether it did anything or not, felt a bit better with it but probably just placebo effect!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mate of mine has it. He’s had it for about 3 weeks and it sounds horrible when he coughs… makes him short of breath too. His Doc says other than letting it clear up itself there’s not a lot can be done, unless it turns into pneumonia..

Kryton57

That pretty much what was said to Jnr who also has it at the docs last night. He’s been salbutamol and i use it anyway for Eib so itll help with this.

Just bought some Boots all in one with guaifenesin to get me through my client meetings and races as best as possible!

dovebiker

Had it 4-5 weeks ago. Thought I was over it but a medical last week found my white cell count was still high and so having to take it easy a bit longer

landslide

I’ve had similar.
    After 3 weeks, I went to the GP, who established it was aggravating my (otherwise mild) asthma. She prescribed a steroid inhaler, which helped my lungs recover properly, rather than a vicious cycle of coughing causing irritation causing more coughing…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve had this for 3 weeks,I was hoping I’d be over it by now.
    Just my luck to be rough when it’s stopped raining…

shinton
    Free Member

it always feels like you cant quite cough up the phlegm.

That’s the one I’ve got and I’m 2 weeks in. I use a steam inhaler followed by a sinus rinse which seems to make a slight improvement and shifts a load of muck.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Ah, there seems to be a bad one going around at the moment. I know some one whose had it about 7 weeks now, doctor put him on antibiotics and steriods and he’s still hacking away. I’ve had it coming up to 5 weeks now. Makes my hearing a bit funny sometimes too, like I’ve got cups over my ears. Had 3 weeks off work, holiday, we had great weather and I only got out about 3 times on the bike but it made it worse, it’s ok now but just won’t go lingers on and on. Just want rid of it! 👿

pictonroad

Had it since Early February. Started as a cough, then cold, into an ear infection and for the main event, Bronchitis. Now it’s back to just a cough. A constant incessant bloody cough. I’ve been on the sofa for more nights than I can count.

Kids are the same, poor blighters, as soon as evening comes the house sounds like a Kenyan waterhole.

BORED of it now. 😐

globalti
    Free Member

Have you tried Ibuprofen? Inflamed bronchia make you cough; Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. Works for me as it breaks the cycle of coughing and irritation.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Had it in Nov – was really bad for 3 weeks, then sort of sat behind the scenes waiting for me to do something silly, like walk to the shop in the rain and then it would be back for another week.

In total I had it for 3.5 months, Doc sent me for x-rays which were thankfully clear as I had pneumonia 18 months back and they were worried about scaring.

Ultimately it’s a virus, so there’s not much you can do to shift it apart from rest.

Inde

My GP says there’s not such thing, my Hospital Doc said it’s just a particularly nasty ‘cold like’ virus.

jam-bo

Avoiding anything persistent this winter but the one before picked something up that started in November and didn’t fully clear until April.

Co-codamal before bed works for me, Codeine is a pretty effective cough suppressant. Means I get off to sleep rather than spend hours coughing once I lie down.

pat12
    Free Member

damn i’m on day 3 – this doesn’t sound promising 🙁

Kryton57

Quite. I start six weeks if weekly xc racing in Saturday, seems like im doomed with very exact imperfect timing…

Will try the ibruorofen and cocodemol options.

CountZero

Yeah, bloody irritating and seemed to last for several weeks, it gradually faded out, sucking packets of Jakeman’s Lemon Menthol sweets helped lubricate my throat and ease the symptoms, but only time does them trick.
    I take ibuprofen and codein/paracetamol tablets for the arthritis in my left knee, did bugger-all for the cough, though.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you have dry hacking cough out of a sudden with no phlegm or nose block like cold then chances are you guys have allergic … cold cough is different as you normally feel unwell and get block nose. This hacking cough has none of those cold associated symptoms.

ebennett – Member
    I tried a few things but none really worked. Mine mostly felt like I had gunk in my lungs that was irritating them so tried guaifenesin as it’s (allegedly) an expectorant. Jury is out on whether it did anything or not, felt a bit better with it but probably just placebo effect!

I have roughly the same cough like yours few weeks ago so I just took simple hay fever loratadine and within two days my cough disappeared.

Before that my cough was getting more and more … all dry cough like something irritating my lungs and throat.

I found out it was allergy because my sister had it too (she actually explained to me that it was allergy) and her doctor told her it was allergy and she had been coughing for many years, finally this doctor managed to diagnose her properly. A simple allergy medication and within three days no more cough for her.

scaredypants

salbutamol and nebulised fluimucil (unless you have access to i.v.)
    consider a steroid injection if you’re racing soon

spooky_b329

I had my turn October to December so hopefully I’ll miss it.

However OP…even though its a ‘tickly’ cough, if there is mucus its a chesty cough if you are buying cough syrup. I started taking this as I found if its more productive, especially in the morning, I was better for the day. If I was stuck in an office where I was trying to suppress the cough it would get worse during the day.

darrell
    Free Member

Had it for 6 weeks. Was grim. Fevers on and of for about 2 weeks in the middle
    The Missus had it for 5 week and it further developed into Pneumonia
    the 4yr old boy had it for about 4 weeks and felt a bit off for about a minute and then ignored it

Kryton57

if there is mucus its a chesty cough

. Yes I’m coughing up a bit especially in the mornings and after biking. After the gaufisenen wore off yesterday it was relatively ok, however I took beneadryl for hatyfever also so not sure what worked best.

I woke at 5am in a coughing fit and went for the Ibruprofen option, Seemed to work for a couple of hours. Now thats worn off I’m going for Benadryl only just to see if that made the difference yesterday morning.

nickc

Boss has it, he’s in for about 7-8 weeks now. His missus thinks it’s adult whooping cough, but it’s probs just a virus

deets

Got mine after a few big days on the bike last week. Went to the docs as I was waking up struggling to breathe and have now been diagnosed with Cough Variant Asthma and got given a steroid inhaler. Hopefully it will sort it out…

Kryton57

Timely.

I experimented with pills and discovered those that contain Gauifenesen were good for me.

Today is the first day in 10 I’ve woken up with my cough feeling slightly less worse that it did the day before. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tickly Hacking cough…’ is closed to new replies.