Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • ticket touts – twickenham – six nations
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

me an a mate are desperate to see england v wales in this years six nations but have had no luck sourcing tickets through our usual routes (unless we want to pay silly money – £500+), so the only option we have left is to try and get some form touts on the day. never bought off touts for twickeham, do you get many down there on match day? match is a sell out, so they won’t be cheap, but what sort of multiple of face value do you think we’d be looking at? assuming it’s best to buy them as near to k/o or just after when the touts could get stuck with tickets they don’t need? the obvious pitfall is getting fakes – anyone got any pointers on how to avoid? fully aware it’s a risky plan, but if we can’t get any we’ll just go to the pubs to watch it in twickenham

fadda

I have ginger nuts and hobnobs, can someone bring some milk…?

slimjim78
    Free Member

used to live next to the ground, loads of touts on match day. dirty sweaty scrotes they are.

When I was a lad there was a match on 5th November so we made a ‘Guy’ and effectively begged for money. Gary Lineker chucked me a quid, I asked for his autograph but neither of us had a pen..

Yep.

Found £20 in the car park after a match once too. how I rejoiced.

True story

jimdubleyou

Loads of em, from right outside the station (even by the Patch) on the walk from the Station to the ground, outside the ground, right by the turnstile.

I’ll send you a picture of my ticket if you like and you can see if yours matches (if I get one in the ballot).

Never bought of them though as it’s better just to get a good spot in a pub than risk paying for a ticket then finding out at the turnstile that you’ve bought a dud.

If they keep it the same as previous 6N matches, there’s a giant screen o/s the ground where you can buy overpriced beer if that’s your thing.

slimjim78
    Free Member

If in doubt they are usually happy to watch one of you enter on a ticket before your mate purchases the second..

Just saying.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I **** hate touts! Stub hub and the like are legalising it further as far as I see it.

scuttler

I used to hate touts but they’re far more legitimate than the secondary ticket markets run by the primary ticket market.

fionap

You need the chap off this programme the other day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06ygkk3/barely-legal-grafters

It’s illegal to sell tickets for sporting events so they’re quite shifty people. I wouldn’t trust them personally but you might get a good deal if you’re prepared to wait until just after kick-off.

CountZero

I used to hate touts but they’re far more legitimate than the secondary ticket markets run by the primary ticket market.

I’m afraid I have to agree with this. Only ever bought a ticket from someone, and I suppose they could be called a tout; back when you either had to trust to the post office, or queue at the box office for hours, I went down to Bristol to buy tickets for Yes at the Hippodrome, very long queue, getting later and later as I got closer to the box office, and three blokes came towards me from the venue, asking if anyone wanted a ticket. I asked how much, and it was a quid over face value, so £3.50 instead of £2.50; (yes, I know). Agreed to the price, got the ticket, while everyone around laughed at me. Two minutes later the signs went out to say sold out, box office closed. I laughed! Pretty good seat, too.
    I have sold a spare ticket, too, but I wouldn’t buy these days, if I can’t get a ticket from the main agencies or the box office, I won’t bother. I’ve looked at the secondary markets, and the prices are frankly obscene.

hammerite
    Free Member

Try Gumtree. Although I’m guessing everyone will be asking silly money. I have bought and sold tickets off there before for the NFL matches at Wembley, but bought and sold at face value.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do you not have any sources at rugby clubs, tickets freely change hands for anan additional donation to club funds (illegal to sell above face), plenty of other sources inc online. Finally yes many touts. IMO interest in the 6N will be well down after our rwc non-performance so prices should be relatively reasonable. I sold at face my 2 tickets to a mate.

OP England are playing some kind of friendly against Wales in May – lots of tickets for sale

sofaboy73
    Free Member

If in doubt they are usually happy to watch one of you enter on a ticket before your mate purchases the second..

good idea, would never of thought of that – top tip

Do you not have any sources at rugby clubs

my club contacts are in wales, so i’m usually ok when we (wales) play at home for the england game, but limited tickets available for the travelling fans and the day trip to twickenham is always very popular, especially so this year as the general feeling (misguided or not) is it will be another good day for the boys in red when visiting HQ. on all other open sales sites they’re going for ludicrous cash

jambalaya
    Free Member

Best of luck with the search. Touts on the day or even in pubs early there are spare tickets from clubs, usually just in singles.

mefty
    Free Member

There was a big clamp down in the World Cup – firms offering unofficial hospitality were having their clients refused entry – whether this will be continued into six nations I have no idea but I understand it was an RFU initiative rather than one of the separate World Cup organisation.

IHN

I don’t get the animosity towards touts. They’re just buying and selling a commodity, and a completely non-essential one at that.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I was astounded at how many touts were selling tickets at the RWC matches I was at. They were quite openly selling them outside the station and the stadium and the Police weren’t bothered in the slightest.

It was quite funny to see a couple of them outside the stadium at one of the Quarter Finals who were initially trying to get £500 or so for tickets then the price dropped as kick-off approached. About 10 or 15 minutes after kick-off this guy and a few others were just desperate to get rid of tickets and there was folk buying them for half face-value 😆
    I hope they lost a fortune!

taxi25
    Free Member

Have to agree with IHN touts aren’t profiteering from sick or starving people. If your a real fan and attend club matches or are a member of a club you’ll have a fair chance of a ticket. There’s always going to be some that come on the secondary market, it gives the more casual supporter a chance for that perhaps once in a lifetime experience.

aP
    Free Member

This has reminded me to find out when they’re playing at Twickenham – only twice, thank god. The RWC was an immense pain in the arse for most people in west London, I’ll need to find out if they’re still closing the A316 for 4 hours during every game…..

mefty
    Free Member

I’ll need to find out if they’re still closing the A316 for 4 hours during every game…..

I am pretty sure that was just for World Cup

agent007
    Free Member

Mates had tickets to a six nations game 2 years ago, a couple of us went to Twickenham to drink with them outside the ground before the match. they left to take their seats just before kick off and were heading out of the ground going to walk to a local pub and watch on the big screen where’ we’d all meet up later. Just then we passed a forlorn looking tout also making his way off from the ground. He still had tickets, so we asked him if he’d take £20 for two? Deal done and we’re in, missed the first 5 mins of the game so yes it is possible. Guys we sat next to had sold the same tickets to the tout an hour or so earlier, for £20. Good all round I’d say.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

thanks for the input guys & girls, will give it a whirl and see how we get on

If your a real fan and attend club matches or are a member of a club you’ll have a fair chance of a ticket

not sure this is the case so much these days for the big matches, especially with the rise of the online secondary ticket markets and the primary markets artificially inflating the prices through this channel – its easy for people to get the tickets from the clubs and then get 3 or 4 times face value (if not more) via a secondary sites and make a few hundred quid.

case in point, i would consider myself a real fan (20 years of misery watching wales in the 80’s and 90’s) and couldn’t get near any this year. of course, it could just be that i don’t know enough people!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ticket touts – twickenham – six nations’ is closed to new replies.