Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Ticket for doing 61mph!!!!!
  • acjim
    Free Member

I learnt the HC but was unaware of the Van limits, perhaps they are more relavent to passing since the theory test was introduced?

fisha
    Free Member

I dont remember the van limits in the HC when I did my driving test.

I know that HGV’s are meant to be down at 40mph on single roads, but had forgot about vans being at 50.

I think basically you’re going to have to stump up the fine mate. If it was just shy of 60, you may have gotten away with it, but over it and its an auto-ticket so to speak.

miketually
    Free Member

I dont remember the van limits in the HC when I did my driving test.

They were there 15 years ago when I failed my driving test twice and they were still there 5 years ago when I passed my theory test.

I think there’s a lot of evidence for compulsory retesting on here!

ransos
    Free Member

All this talk of speedo innaccuracy is a diversion. The offence is to break the speed limit, regardless of what your speedo says. In fact, you don’t even neeed a working speedo to pass your MOT!

HTTP404
    Free Member

I read this and thought it very apt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7967982.stm

sockpuppet

All this talk of speedo innaccuracy is a diversion. The offence is to break the speed limit, regardless of what your speedo says.

especially when your speedo was probably reading 66ish at the time, as discussed above, on a road where the op thought the limit was 60…

aracer
    Free Member

“All this talk of speedo innaccuracy is a diversion”

especially when your speedo was probably reading 66ish at the time
    You appear to have ignored part of what you were quoting!

vinnyeh

HTTP404 – Member

I read this and thought it very apt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7967982.stm

pheww, tough times there. I’d like to see that sort of punishment applied here a bit more though. Particularly to professions that should know better.

Mark

There are individuals on this thread who are being typically awkward and belligerent. Smee.. you are treading a fine line. Change your attitude or expect mod intervention in your posts. That’s not just for this thread but for your standard of posts in general. Others need to start playing nice or I’ll personally step in and suspend your accounts under the negativity rule.

WipeOut
    Free Member

I know you probably think it a bit boring, but doesn’t anybody keep a copy of the Highway Code and read from time to time any longer?

Doesn’t mean you’ve passed your test, that you can’t continue to learn as a driver.

I hear lots of complaining about driving standards, and yet rarely hear of people trying to improve or better there own standard of driving.

Advanced Institute of Motoring is very helpful.

aracer
    Free Member
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You are allowed by law to murder up to zero people without penalty. Go just one over and you’re in trouble 🙁

hugorune

So can anyone recomend me a reasonably cheap reliable radar detector?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not much point, radar is only used on Gatsos and they’re bloody obvious, its a laser detector you want, and they’re only any use if you’re on a busy road lol.

kennyNI
    Free Member

For all your speeding injustices, pepipoo is more useful than hearsay and conjecture on STW.
    http://www.pepipoo.com/

As for the GPS thing. GPS (certainly more recent, not sure how recent, so this is conjecture 😉 ) uses Doppler shift to calculate speed, not and average speed by using (distance travelled)/(time taken), as the distance travelled figure can have large inaccuracies in it.

molgrips
    Free Member

he speedometer must read at least 10% over the actual speed

They always seem to do that in my experience. Ever wondered why no matter how traffic free and consistent your drive at 70mph you always end up with an average speed in the low 60s?

In the US btw speedos read on the money. Another reason why the miles seem to fly by quicker.

I know you probably think it a bit boring, but doesn’t anybody keep a copy of the Highway Code and read from time to time any longer?

I’d not advise that since it changes all the time! When my wife took her test 3 years ago I was quite suprised as to how different it was. A lot of the things I’d been ranting at other drivers for doing are now no longer incorrect. Look at the bit about lane choice and signalling at roundabouts, for instance.

Smee
    Free Member

Mark – considering what I do for a job and the qualifications I have I think I am entitled to be to the point with my responses in this topic.

If you dont like it give me a life ban.

gonefishin
    Free Member

In the US btw speedos read on the money.

I seriously doubt that as there isn’t a measuring device in existance that doesn’t have different relative errors across its calibrated range.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Ticket for doing 61mph!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.