• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tick bite on a two year old. Advice please.
  • v9gss

We were at Dalby yesterday (to meet the Gruffalo) and have tonight found a tick still biting my 2 year old son just under his nipple.

I’ve removed it with tweezers as per NHS advice.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips on anything else to treat/look out for. Or any ideas what Lyme disease infection rates are around Dalby Forest?

Thanks
    Gary

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I got ‘Nippled’ by a tick. My Mrs used a Tom ‘O’ Twister to get it off.

May as well have used a blowtorch as I reckon the pain would be the same.

Good luck!

Rockape63
    Free Member

A friend got bitten and had to go on a course of antibiotics. It was very sore and painful so get to the docs ASAP.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You shouldn’t use tweezers. Surprised nhs website says this.

piemonster

Another source of info

Symptoms

I’ve been bitten by dozens of the blighters but usually remove them pretty quickly(I carry a tool with me pretty much everywhere there are Ticks). I would worry too much, but just keep an eye out for symptoms. Did you extract the Tick without damaging it?

muggomagic

You shouldn’t use tweezers. Surprised nhs website says this

You can use tweezers if they are thin long ones. You just place them under the tick and lever it off.

muggomagic

Anyway. Isn’t there no such thing as a gruffal….ohhhh

v9gss

Tick came out in one piece as best I could tell. But was damaged soon after.

Will keep an eye on him and nip to the docs if anything seems amiss.

rene59
    Free Member

The bacteria that causes the disease is only carried by about 10% of ticks. Keep an eye out for rash developing over the next 4 weeks or so and go to GP if it does.

muggomagic

Oh and you should keep the tick.

ajc
    Free Member

As above if you are worried bag tick & keep it in freezer. Your gp/local vet will know if you are in a Lyme disease area.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Having had Lymes disease from a tick bite I can tell you it can be a bugger to shift so if the area around the bite shows any sign of a rash or discolouration get straight to the docs for some antibiotics. The earlier you catch it the better.

I don’t think it makes a difference if it came out whole or not as to the chances of infection.

spooky_b329

If you leave the head in, or squeeze the body with tweezers and empty the tick back into the human then it’ll increase chances of infection.

Last few I’ve had I’ve just gently held with tweezers and just pulled very gently and within a few seconds its let go. No need for yanking it or twisting in either direction.

botanybay
    Free Member

Give it a right ticking off.

Drac

Ticks

If you have been bitten by a tick (a small arachnid), remove it as soon as possible to reduce the risk of getting a tick-borne infection, such as Lyme disease (a bacterial infection that causes a rash).
    To remove the tick:
    Use tweezers, wear gloves or cover your fingers with tissue to avoid touching the tick.
    Grab the tick as close to the skin as you can, and gently pull straight up until all parts are removed.
    Do not twist or jerk the tick as you are removing it because this may cause the mouthparts to break off and remain in your skin once the tick has been removed.
    Wash your hands with soap and water.
    Using petroleum jelly, alcohol or a lit match to remove a tick does not work.
    After the tick has been removed, clean the tick bite with soap and water or an antiseptic, such as an iodine scrub.
    Do not scratch the bite because this will cause further swelling and increase the chance of infection. Most tick bites will heal within three weeks. See your GP if you develop:
    a rash
    a temperature of 38C (100.4F) or over (fever)
    You may need antibiotics to prevent Lyme disease.

From here.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-insect/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Ticks

Tick on skin and tick sucking blood
    Strictly speaking, these small spider-like creatures aren’t insects, but ticks are increasingly becoming an unpleasant feature of strolls through UK woods, moors or thick grass. Once they’ve latched onto you, ticks cling to your skin and suck your blood. The bite doesn’t really hurt, but certain types of tick can transmit a condition called Lyme disease. Therefore, remove a tick as soon as you spot one on your skin.
    Prevent tick bites: Wear long sleeves and trousers when you’re walking in forested, overgrown areas and use a tick repellent.
    See a doctor if: you get a circular rash spreading out from where you were bitten or you develop the symptoms of Lyme disease.
    Send any ticks you collect to the Health Protection Agency and they’ll identify them for you. Find out more about the HPA’s Tick Recording Scheme.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/bites-and-stings/Pages/insects-bugs-that-bite-sting.aspx

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tick bite on a two year old. Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.