Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tibetan Terriers: tell me about them please
  • injuredflanker
    Free Member

Hi,
    After 10 dogless years, we are contemplating getting another – mainly for 7 yr old son.
    We have been offered a 1 yr old Tibetan Terrier from a re-homing centre close by – unfortunately due to a family split.
    Anyone got one or had experience of them?
    Thanks,

amplebrew

We’ve had Oli now for 6 years and he’s a fantastic dog.

He’s very affectionate and wants to be cuddled or perched on your knee pretty much all the time. We haven’t got children, but our friends do and there is never a problem. They are certainly not a snappy or aggressive dog.

He’s always up for going out, is really playful and will happily go for long walks and days out without getting to tired. Oli hasn’t quite got the endurance of our Springer, but he’s not far off.

He’s definitely a much more relaxed character than our 9 year old Springer and quite often goes outside and sits in the garden at night and gazes up at the stars; it’s really funny to watch.

They can be very stubborn dogs though and it can be a battle of wills to get him to do something he’s not keen on. They also don’t like being left alone and some suffer from separation anxiety. We’ve been ok because he is always in the company of our Springer and between my wife, my parents and myself he is never left for longer than an hour anyway. Oli however does not cope very well with being separated from our Springer and will cry like a baby. So if our Springer needs to go to the vets, we have to take Oli as well.

They can have a habit of barking when excited or to warn if they think something is wrong. They were originally alarm dogs to warn of danger, so it’s quite a common character trait.

They also have a double coat which can mat easily. We keep Oli’s coat quite short and give him a quick brush him every day; it’s certainly no chore.

We wouldn’t hesitate to get another TT as Oli’s a complete pleasure to own and has a really lovable character.

PICT1818 by Ample Brew, on Flickr

eyerideit
    Free Member

ahhhhh cute. Post a pic when you get one.

dannybgoode

The only question I’d have and this is generic dog and not breed specific is has it been around children in its current home.

It not I’d say definitely no. Too much change and trauma for it and all terriers can be snappy little buggers. Not worth the risk…

Cheers

Danny B

amplebrew

A Tibetan Terrier is not a ‘Terrier breed’ and was given that title due to it’s size. They do not have the usual Terrier characteristics and are really gentle and affectionate dogs, ideal for families.

dannybgoode

Ah, I see.

Still wouldn’t re-home a dog with children that hadn’t been brought up with them – regardless of breed…

Cheers

Danny B

amplebrew

The ‘Terrier’ title catch’s a few out, but as you’ve said Danny; any dog not used to children can be an issue.

TT’s generally are very laid back and well natured dogs that adapt very quickly to new surroundings so I wouldn’t see a problem with the dog getting used to a new family environment.

They can initially be shy around strangers, but they don’t take long to build up a bond.

Is it possible for the dog to stay with you for a few days to try out?

konadad
    Free Member

[/url]
    Untitled by konadad, on Flickr[/img]

agree with amplebrew

this is poppy. we’ve had her three years now and the best dog ever. she loves the kids, daft as a brush but so loyal. will follow us along the canal when riding, loves people a little too much. she doesn’t lose hair which is good for the lads asthma.

downsides are she loves water, even stagnant puddles which means her coat gets pretty matted after a while so we have her clipped every so often.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hi mate

I’ve got one and he’s a right good lad, 8 now, spends all day asleep on his back with a boner, goes nuts as soon as he hears his lead being jangled, and is louder than middle aged hen do in Blackpool when the postman comes.

Not over excitable and demanding with multiple walks per day, and he doesnt come with me on bike cus he stops to sniff things every 10 meters. He’s happy to be left alone all day, byt then he’s then mad keen to come for big walks and is also playful and fun. Coat matts easily, and his is quite long just because I make such a mess every time I do it… Mrs shows dogs at Crufts and it horrifies her.

Great with little kids, struggles with other dogs, if there was a series of the undatables for pets mine would be on it.

Get one.

Don’t know how to put a pic in I’m sorry

injuredflanker
    Free Member

Many thanks all for your comments.
    Very pleased with your answers to be honest.
    The dog has come from a family environment with 2/3 children.
    The re-homing centre say that he is a family dog and ideally want to re-home into a similar environment relatively quickly. Saying that they firstly want to visit us without the dog to establish suitability, which I think is pleasing – they seem to be doing it the right way.

amplebrew

injured flanker – Member
    Many thanks all for your comments.
    Very pleased with your answers to be honest.
    The dog has come from a family environment with 2/3 children.
    The re-homing centre say that he is a family dog and ideally want to re-home into a similar environment relatively quickly. Saying that they firstly want to visit us without the dog to establish suitability, which I think is pleasing – they seem to be doing it the right way.

Sounds great.

They’re lovely fun dogs who are an absolute pleasure to own.

If the re-homing centre give you the all clear, then I don’t think you’ll regret it.

PICT1074 by Ample Brew, on Flickr

hughjengin
    Free Member

My Mum has Tibetan poodle cross and he’s ace, so much personality on one hand but gentle and affectionate at the same time. He’s a total star, wish I had the time in our lives to have a dog (bone of contention in our house, no pun intended 🙂
    My mums put a deposit on a pure breed Tibetan as well as a friend for Digby.
    I’d definitely get one

hughjengin
    Free Member

Sorry double post

bruk

Great dogs. Very few breed specific problems. They do like the sound of heir own voice though. Not yappy but a proper bark. got 1 for my MIL when she had loads of problems with her last poodle. Great dog and we got her 1/2 sister when we wanted a dog.

Have it clipped every 6-8 weeks for about £30 a pop. Otherwise she is happy to laze around all day taking it easyoro for a 2-3 hour walk. Tried taking her with the bike but she just loves to stop and sniff stuff and then you have to stop and wait for you.

Go and see it. I’m sure you will love it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tibetan Terriers: tell me about them please’ is closed to new replies.