Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tiagra STI repair
  • zilog6128

My LH (double) Tiagra shifter is busted, lever operates but the ratchet does not engage so it is stuck on the small ring. I’m assuming the ratchet is physically broken somehow – haven’t taken it apart yet to check as I’m a road noob and haven’t a clue when it comes to STIs. The manual talks about needing a special tool to disassemble the bracket/lever assembly anyway.

Does anyone actually sell spare parts e.g. whatever is in the ratchet that is broken? Or am I looking at a whole new lever assembly? Was going to upgrade to 105 at some point anyway but they are bloody dear new so keeping an eye on eBay!

rootes1

look on the german parts places as they tend to be cheaper for STI’s

coatesy
    Free Member

Shifter assembly’s normally available seperately, but still not cheap. The special tools are just for hooking out, and re-fitting the E-clip to the pivot shaft.

zilog6128

look on the german parts places as they tend to be cheaper for STI’s

good shout, thanks. If I go down the “new” route they are quite a bit cheaper!

Shifter assembly’s normally available seperately, but still not cheap.

Might as well replace the whole unit then? If only Hope made STIs!

Speshpaul

merlin had some LH sti’s

also just to be clear, you have taken the cable off the front mech?
    Sometimes sti’s can over shift and lock, although normally they go the other way

rootes1

you know really you wnat 105 or above to get the nice under tape cables..

one thing i hate about my Tiagra shifts is the exposed gear cables – 105 work better as well as you do not have to move the lever as much

zilog6128

Sometimes sti’s can over shift and lock, although normally they go the other way

Nope, haven’t touched the cable. Not quite sure what you mean, could you clarify please? The shifter isn’t jammed, the lever (and the front mech) moves the full way across only the ratchet doesn’t engage so they just go right back again after the lever is released!

you know really you wnat 105 or above to get the nice under tape cables..

yes! Although one guy I spoke to at a LBS said this could be a bad thing as too tightly wrapped bar tape could impede the shifting… but I agree, looks much neater!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If the shifters are under 3 years old get your LBS to send the non-working one back to Madison. There’s a three year warranty on them. If you take them apart yourself they really are a challenge to get back together.

zilog6128

right, just done this and the shifter works fine with no cable connected. Looks like a new cable will sort the problem then. Thanks! (and d’oh!)

If the shifters are under 3 years old get your LBS to send the non-working one back to Madison. There’s a three year warranty on them.

Good to know, thanks!

If you take them apart yourself they really are a challenge to get back together.

Yeah, I figured that, what with the “special tool” and all!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tiagra STI repair’ is closed to new replies.