Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tiagra or 105?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Only comparing mechs and levers/shifters

Both 10 speed

Is there much difference?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Not really. 105 is a bit nicer. All depends how much you want to spend.

soundninjauk

I like 105 because the gear cables run underneath the bar tape, instead of sticking out of the shifters at 90 degree angles.

njee20
    Free Member

But the 10 speed 105 with the concealed cables is a bit shit. 11 speed 105 is vastly better, and still not crazy expensive. Otherwise I’d probably go Tiagra frankly.

soundninjauk

I have the 10 speed 105 on my commuter and it seems fine to me. That said I’ve never used anything like Ultegra or Dura Ace so I don’t know what I’m missing.

jimc101
    Free Member

Which Tiagra vs which 105, if 5800 vs 4700, there is no difference (feel wise) between the shifters, both use the same hoods, just the speed, which is the same for the derailuers,

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got 5700 105 on my cx bike and had it on a road bike previously and never had an issue with it.

Plus it looks a bit nicer than the 10spd Tiagra

njee20
    Free Member

All the first gen groupsets with concealed cables felt rough IMO – 7900/6700/5700. The newer ones are much better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

All the first gen groupsets with concealed cables felt rough IMO

Correct. And the 10sp 105 with the concealed cables give problems down the line. The shifters wear and the shifting goes vague and heavy. I wouldn’t buy 10sp 105.
    11sp is a different beast altogether. Lots better.
    The new 10sp Tiagra is also good, it’s the same cable pull and design as 11sp stuff.
    That’s what I’d go for.

julians
    Free Member

got 2013 10 speed tiagra on my road bike, seems ok, a bit clunky and not the smoothest shifting , but does the job.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

4600 vs. 5700

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Check wether you can mix and match those Tiagra and 105 if you considering, say, Tiagra shifters and 105 rear mech – I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that 4600 Tiagra might have a different cable pull.

andyv
    Free Member

I went tiagra triple to 105 5700 double after I put the rear mech into the wheel (my fault).
    Both work faultlessly, 105 looks a little slimmer and the concealed cables are nicer. I’ve noticed no increase in cable drag between the two groupsets. I initially missed the larger hood’horn’of the tiagra shifter and gear indicators but used to being without now.

The difference in price at the time was £60 through merlin and I felt it was worth it. Am thinking that 105 being the higher spec group set then longevity should be good too.

Andy

mboy
    Free Member

The new 10sp Tiagra is also good, it’s the same cable pull and design as 11sp stuff.
    That’s what I’d go for.

New 4700 Tiagra is a bit of a winner to be fair. All the best bits of the higher end groupsets, but 10spd for much cheapness on cassettes and chains and compatibility with older wheels etc.

My only issue is that all Shimano feels vague in comparison to SRAM or Campag, doesn’t matter whether it’s Claris or Dura Ace, I prefer a much more positive action. Have had 4600 Tiagra on my outgoing winter bike though, and it’s been faultless, if a little weighty, shifts more positively than 5700 105 anyway!

Actually, that’s not quite fair… I’ve setup 7900/6700/5700 groupsets on various bikes over the last few years, and on those with a very clean cable run (preferably external) they have all shifted pretty sweetly with decent (Teflon coated) inner cables and Shimano SP41 outer. On any bike with convoluted cable routing (certain brands are nightmares, but most internally routed bikes aren’t fantastic in this respect) it has been very difficult to get a positive shift, even when new on said groupsets.

SRAM Red on my main road bike though, with clean cable routing, top quality cables and it’s VERY slick!

TiRed

Tiagra shifts better (because of those sticky-out cables). The windows look awful and can’t be covered up. 105 says I’m “serious”. But seriously, there is nothing in it. Nine speed Tiagra had even nicer shifters.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m really impressed with the 10spd Tiagra. I’ve got the current stuff on my commuter and in terms of shifting feel and accuracy it’s really nice, honestly no different to the 10spd Ultegra I’ve got on my road bike. Of course it’s a bit heavier, the cables don’t look as neat, and the shifter windows are mildly annoying but none of that really matters. Of course it depends on the price difference but the improvements in 105 are going to be largely aesthetic.

ransos
    Free Member

11 speed 105 is vastly better, and still not crazy expensive.

It’s slicker than the 6700 Ultegra I had before, and £300 for a complete groupset. Total bargain, really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

new 10sp Tiagra … the same cable pull and design as 11sp stuff.

Eh?

Mister-P
    Free Member

New Tiagra 4700 does indeed share design cues with current 11 speed Shimano road groupsets.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tiagra or 105?’ is closed to new replies.