Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ti456 as a rigid SS?
  • Wally

I want to convert the Ti456 to a rigid SS. What is the "right" way to do this?
    Any experiences?

br
    Free Member

There is no "right way"

higgo
    Free Member

Others may have different views but I'd question whether it's the right frame for a rigid fork.

I've had two 456s (steel and carbon) and both seem to have a sweet spot somewhere between 130 and 140mm of fork. Someone with more brain/time than me can work out what the a-c of a typical sagged 130mm fork is but I bet it's a fair bit longer than you'll find in a rigid fork.

Wally

But this is hardly a novel thought and I am sure this is a path trodden before.
    Current thoughts are an on-one carbon 29fork and 29"wheel up front.

higgo
    Free Member

Current thoughts are an on-one carbon 29fork and 29"wheel up front.

Makes a bit more sense.

Then one "right way" to do it would be to:
    take off suspension fork
    fit rigid 29er fork and wheel
    take off derailleurs, cables and shifters
    take off granny and big ring
    change cassette for a ss converter sprocket
    either fit a tensioner or fanny about trying to find a magic ratio
    buy sandals
    fit shorter chain
    grow beard.

vinnyeh

You could always send it back to Lynskey and ask for horizontal dropouts to be welded on.
    Otherwise it's the same as converting any other vertical dropout frame. I've got a singulator on mine, works fine.

Exotic forks do reasonably priced carbon jobs- see discobrakes, 465mm a-c is the best compromise imo, though you can go shorter, or stick a 29er wheel up front for a 69er, and some of the rolling benefits of bigger wheels. see the article here.

vinnyeh

29er fork will be too long if you go the big wheel route- 445mm is a better length.

gamo
    Free Member

A 29" wheel fits nicely in the 26" wheel sized on one carbon fork(440 axel-crown), i found it ended up about the same as a sagged 120mm
    suspension fork! only did it to see what it was like and quickly stuck
    140mm fox's back on!

donks
    Free Member

I ran a 456 (admittedly not the Ti!! just plain ol steel)with their carbon 440mm fork and it was champion, I assume that the Ti frame has the same angles etc as the steel brother? This is why is was called the 456!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have a steel 456 with a 29er fork and wheel. Works perfectly…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Why not go for an Endomorph up front 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I'm loving my steel 456 with an Orange F8 450mm steel fork.. so much soo that the U-turn Revs that I originaly specced are gathering dust in the cupboard..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ti456 as a rigid SS?’ is closed to new replies.