Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ti Springs… worth it?
  • Kryton57

250g saving on a Fox Van R for £184?

Thoughts? Any other justification?

Liftman

looks pimp as ****

clubber
    Free Member

Someone will be along in a sec to tell you that they’re more sensitive/perform better 🙂

I reckon £184 would be better spent elsewhere unless your current spring is wrong and you don’t mind forking out extra for Ti.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…250g saving…

i sincerely doubt that.

a well known suspension servicing website claims that i can buy a replacement Ti spring that weighs 318 grams.

let’s be honest, a bike toy with a claimed weight of 318 grams will probably weigh at least 350 grams.

my steel spring weighs 450ish grams (yes, i’ve weighed it, yes i’ve checked the scales)

so, if i’m happy spending £199 to save 130* grams, then yes, a Ti spring would be worth it.

(*let’s be generous, and give them the benefit of the doubt 🙂 )

…looks pimp as **** …

do they? – they just look grey to me…

as for weight saving; i just bought some Nukeproof pedals, which have saved me 200grams, for £35.

messiah
    Free Member

A 400# 2.5″ steel spring weighs 500-450g

A 400# Ti spring weighs 300-330g

If you can track down a Progressive Suspension Ti spring like the 350# 2.5″ I just sold it weighed 180g!!!

Weight savings can be substantial, but normally it’s better to lose the weight elsewhere first… and if your really a weight weenie at heart you would be running an air shock anyway 🙄

Kryton57

I won’t go into the reasons why I’m running a coil – lets leave at at the fact my main bike is a Tracer… I’m sure you understand given the ‘net history re Tracers.

Seems like I’d be better off just leaving my mobile at home. The bike is Thompson/Easton/Mavic/Hope/XT/Rev Dual Air at 30.7lbs. Not much else to change.

I’m not a weight weenie but I’m using it for racing soon and just thought…

jimjam
    Free Member

Not as worth it in pound per gram terms as other upgrades but assuming you’ve got your bike how you like it and can afford it, and you’re not planning to change the shock anytime soon then go for it.

The weight and weight saving varies greatly between spring sizes and even brands. They look “pro” and don’t deaden over time as steel springs seem to do.

Gooner
    Free Member

probably not but they look better (imo) which is why i have just bought one!

GW
    Free Member

If you can track down a Progressive Suspension Ti spring like the 350# 2.5″ I just sold it weighed 180g!!!

Strange 🙄 my Progressive suspension 375lb x 2.5″ stroke Ti spring is closer to 300g.
    The best thing about Ti springs is their availability in smaller weight increments and their more accurate spring rates.
    Steel springs can be wildly out.

for reference here’s a Progressive 2.75 x 350

here’s a list of quite a few Ti spring weights if you want a true idea of weights rather than internet BS and boasting!

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/rear-spring/

Kryton57

To divert slightly;

Can anyone tell me if the Nuke proof Ti springs (£129) although they state the will fit a DHX air – will they vit a 2010 Van R (with piggyback?) Will save me £60 over Mojo’s offering….

Emailed Nukeproof a week ago no response….

rs
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the Nuke proof Ti springs (£129) although they state the will fit a DHX air –

Ti spring will fit a DHX air???

Kryton57

I meant coil of course, sorry…. 😳

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the Nuke proof Ti springs (£129) although they state the will fit a DHX air – will they vit a 2010 Van R (with piggyback?) Will save me £60 over Mojo’s offering….

Yes it will fit, but Nukeproof Ti springs are a chunk heavier than the Fox (RCS) ones. When i priced it up for a 400lb x 2.8, £/g saved, the Fox was actually better value (I use the word “value” loosely).

In my case I’ll save ~100g by spending £200+ on an RCS spring over my existing Fox steel one . Funnily enough, its fairly low on the list or priority

oliverd1981
    Free Member

On a bike where you think you “need” a coil shock a ti spring may be one of the only places you can save that sort of weight without sacrificing crash resistance.

Kryton57

100g’s!! Not sure that I’ll bother….. 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ti Springs… worth it?’ is closed to new replies.