Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ti seatposts – worthwhile?
  • dicky
    Free Member

Is it worthwhile buying a Ti seatpost to take some of the ‘kick’ out of a hardtail? The Thomson post I have at present is pretty harsh. I don’t want to go down the suspension post route but I’d try a Ti seatpost if it took the edge of some of the clatter. Or would I not notice the difference…

The Eriksen seatposts look good (though expensive…)
    http://www.kenteriksen.com/comp_seatpost.html

Views from owners would be appreciated before I splash out a lot of cash. Thanks

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Van Nicholas

I have one of these, it’s great. I have it in a ti-frame and the difference I can feel on a long ride is amazing, normally I get sore lower back and bum, often making it uncomfortable to ride the next day. Instead of going for full-suss I thought about ti like you. It works, I don’t get any major aches at all. However, I did have a Chameleon with a Thomson post – not the most forgiving for long rides.

I normally bend posts which is why I stuck with Thomson for so long. Havent bent this yet, shall wait and see.

GW
    Free Member

try standing up over rough ground! 🙄

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I had the same problem and got a Van Nicholas Ti post SH of here, perhaps I am imagining the difference but it does seem to have taken the edge off the kick.

I’m fancying one of those Kent Eriksen posts when I can justify the cost to myself though.

Cheaper option would be a different none Ti post, Cy from Cotic has been on here a few times saying how he uses USE Aluminium posts I think on his BFe as it was less harsh than the Thomson he started with.

Cheers

Dave

whippersnapper
    Free Member

standing up, on a bicycle? Are you mad? 😉

singlespeedstu

What size is your post?

Try a shim and a smaller sized post for more flex.

TheGingerOne

I run an Airborne Ti seatpost in my Tinbred and it certainly adds even more to the comfort of the bike. My friends have noted it moving while following me, so it does do something!!

dicky
    Free Member

GW – Member
    try standing up over rough ground!

Thanks… I know what you’re saying and you’re right, but it’s the long rocky climbs kind of thing that cause the problems, the sit down and grind kind of stuff.

Singlespeedstu – it’s a 27.2 so I don’t have much option to shim it down. There is just zero flex in the Thomson posts so, much as I like it, it’s gotta go and be replaced with something more compliant.

julianwilson
    Free Member

errrr, nice flexy carbon post? works for me.

dicky
    Free Member

Whippersnapper, that Van Nicholas looks perfect and price is a bit more palatable than the Eriksen. What’s your experience with the clamp, does it hold the saddle with no slip?

TheGingerOne

The Van Nichols (was Airborne) is almost identical to the Moots post. Clamp is fine if done up properly!! Wel, mines never slipped in 4 years.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

no probs so far, I think getting the saddle in was a bit of a faff but when riding it’s been fine.

It took about 2-3 weeks to get to me from ordering which was good.

13thfloormonk

I think so, replaced an inline 27.2 aluminium post on my Charge with a layback, 27.2 Moots. I definitely noticed a difference in comfort.

In terms of strength, i’ve tested it in a slightly unfortunate way. the nasty cheap seatclamp that came with my charge actually clamped the seatpost, and not the frame, resulting in a slightly bent Ti post! 😥 i couldn’t afford to replace it with another so have kept running it avec bend, and it seems fine.

singlespeedstu

Ive got a Blacksheep layback Ti post on one bike and it’s loads stiffer than an Easton carbon post on another bike.

Both 27.2 BTW.

Oh and the Easton one was a boatload of cash cheaper.

househusband

I used to have one – an Airborne one. It did make longer rides more comfortable on a hardtail, and I’d get one again if a hardtail was all I had.

Tasso
    Free Member

Had a Ti Airborne Post on my Ti Airborne Lucky Strike. (Replaced a Roox S4) It did take the edge off trail buzz, but (and it’s a big but) I do not think it’s sufficient to warrant buying a new post on that alone.

It simply makes so little difference you may be better off getting a more suitable frame, suspension post or even bike if you really suffer that badly. Even a saddle change can make as much difference as the post.

Jumping off the Airborne with Ti post and trying both that the Roox and a Rock Shox suspension post on my Mrs Santa Cruz Juliana convinced me that having more forgiving stays/tyres will get you just the same effect and you need a suspension post for any substantial comfort increase when seated.

That’s all a bit anecdotal but I now use Bel Air saddles rather than the Flite I had and assorted Tompson, I beam and Race Face posts without a problem. The Mrs uses a Thudbuster having gone through Rock Shox and a USE (absolute carp) previously.

I sold the Airborne ages ago and have had numerous “unforgiving” ali frames since including a Cove Stiffee which I was perfectly happy riding the long Meridas on.

JamesD
    Free Member

I had the same problem and switched to a Bontrager carbon post – difference from the Thomson was amazing. Scary amounts of flex but very comfortable and it does have an alloy core if you’re still not 100% sure on carbon parts like me!

ken_shields
    Free Member

I had a steel hardtail with a thomson post and I felt like I’d been humped by the entire coldstream guards after a long ride.

Swapped the Selle Italia Ti Flite for a Fizik Gobi (older one with Ti rails) and a Van Nicholas Ti post and it was like a new bike from a comfort perspective.

I’ve still got the post but not the frame but I’m saving it in case I get another hardtail

titaniumlover
    Free Member

i have a u.s.e 27.2 post knocking about you can have for £15…

i also have a spare inline 420mm moots that needs a good polish – how much these worth used?

sorry to jump on with the whole sal-pitch thing!

i also use a moots layback on my ti bike, very sproingy indeed and highly recommended

stuey
    Free Member

What about one of these Cheap ebay Ti post ?

NZCol

Anyone know of a 30.9mm Ti Post with 15mm layback ?

mingsta
    Free Member

I used to have a Klein Attitude with Thomson seapost. Even with my soaked in vinegar roadies under carriage, I couldn’t really ride it for more than 2-3 hours.

Got an airborne seatpost and that transformed the comfort. You can actually feel it flex a little over slow, biggish bumps. People spend a wad on shiny stuff and bling, but of all my dubious “upgrades”, that was the one that made the biggest difference.

theflatboy
    Free Member

did someone say moots seatpost?

CountZero

I’ve got an old (’93) Moots post I bought in Vail for my old SuperVee. It got put to one side when I started riding h/tails again and needed something longer than 350mm, but it’s now on my Kona Sutra with a Ti-railed Brooks Swift, and it certainly takes the buzz out of a fairly stiff frame with high-pressure tyres on, especially on rough cycle paths and byways.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ti seatposts – worthwhile?’ is closed to new replies.