Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ti On-One 456…. racing….
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Who’s got one? How light is it?
    Thinking of ditching my FS and getting a hardtail for allday trail riding but also endurance events and maybe a spot of xc racing… suitability?
    Any other reccomendations?
    Ta.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve got one… weighs about 24/25 lbs. Good for all day riding and long distance but wouldn’t race xc on it. My Giant XTC rides much quicker.

Kev

schmiken

One of the guys in our club does that and seems to think it’s ok to race on with 100mm forks. He also uses it as an allday bike too.

(But bear in mind I live in the salt flats of Suffolk….)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers, sounds like I need to build up the XTC I’ve got, and buy a 456.
    Kev… what size XTC do you ride… how tall are you?

Kahurangi

Hi, this question must be for me 🙂

I’ve had a Ti 456 as my main bike for over a year now and I love it. I don’t have a massibe bike history to go with my gushing love of it (Alu Trek, Rock Lobster 853, Ti 456, the Alu Trek was my SS, now has a new frame but not ridden yet) and don’t have and FS riding experience to compare it to.

It’s been my real bike for all that time, I’ve had a SS as well.

I’ve taken it don day-long trips to the lakes, a few Trail Centres but mostly natural stuff.

I’ve raced it a little in that time, trying to do as much as I could local to me, so that’s most of the Kielder Marathon series (bought a carbon seat-post after the 1st of those!!), Kielder Calling 6hr Enduro and Kielder 100. Don’t know how much it weighs, but I settled on a 90 mm stem, post with a bit of layback and use my 140 mm revs for everything. Stans 355 rims and Mountain Kings. Changed to a Race King on the rear for the longer events this summer but a great all round bike that you can race.

I can’t complain it held me up at all though I do fancy a racier bike so that I can stop worrying about putting components on it an thinking “do I want to race it with this on it?”

It’s had a little swap around of bits. Some stuff has gone on the SS, I have some wider, lighter wheels, bigger proper UST tyres and a shorter stem to take it to Spain next week.

If you want some more info or some pics of how I built it up my email is in my profile.

ononeorange

Also use mine for big days out as well as xc racing on technical courses round us. I’m pretty rubbish at racing so what do I know but it’s light and manoeuverable – much faster than other bikes I’ve had. The only one that I find even more “chuckable” (note the use of racing terms there) is my Inbred, but that’s a s/s which I would never get up the hills on the xc course.

Good luck!

Keva
    Free Member

Yeti… Small… 5’5″ if I stretch a bit

16in Ti456 – feels big and comfy
    16in Giant XTC – always encourages me to ride fast
    15in Rock Lobster – small and nippy

Three very different bikes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was one at the gorrick 100, the same guy off here who’d bent the mech hanger right round.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ti On-One 456…. racing….’ is closed to new replies.