Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ti frame – custom built or off the peg?
  • ibnchris

So…I am in the market for a new frame. A mile munching ti 29er. Maybe even 29+ but not sure about that.

I do the odd bit of trail centre type stuff, but my full sus still serves that purpose well so I don’t think I need loads of travel etc. Was thinking max 120mm.

Question is – do I custom build (I don’t know much about geometry and exactly what I want…) or will I end up getting a better quality build for the ame price if I go ‘off the peg’. Budget is probably around £1500…

scotroutes

A good designer will be able to put some numbers together based on your requirements and you’ll get a frame for less than £1500. Try Pact Bikes for a start.

I have a Pact B+/29er with both rigid and 120mm suspension forks. It would be right up your street.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I don’t know much about geometry and exactly what I want

Speak to Brant at PACT

ibnchris

But do you generally get a better quality and more bang for your buck if you go custom made? Or will I find something that is actually a little bit better etc because it’s been designed and stress tested if I go off the peg?

scotroutes

I’ve seen quite a few Ti frames over the years, even sold a few. The only ones I’ve regularly seen quality issues with have been made by Lynskey (though sometimes badged differently). The ability to specify geometry, cable routing, cage mounts etc wins it for me.

dovebiker

I’ve been designing and commissioning my own ti frames for over 12 years for myself and friends direct from factories in China. For your money £1500 will get you a stock frame from the likes of Lynskey or Kinesis or a custom frame from a UK brand from a handful of factories in Taiwan or China. Some ‘brands’ will offer you full custom for the same price than larger brands offer stock. IME it’s the details that make the difference – not only does custom get you your preferred geometry, but you can also select tube sizes to suit you. My experience is that bigger-brands are more inclined to cut corners that compromise strength/fatigue resistance to meet price-points – I don’t like the manipulated chainstay on the Kinesis for example.

oldfart

I’ll probably regret saying this but if the price was right I MIGHT be persuaded to sell my Kona Raijin 🙁

ibnchris

Thanks oldfart – tempting but I’ve decided it’s finally time to treat myself to something new. Have never bought a new bike and my very generous wife has been making noises about buying me a frame for a while now. And with my 40th looming in a few months time the stars are somewhat aligned…

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Have a word with Traver’s bikes.
    Discussing something similiar with him myself.
    Has got a few off the peg frames but will do custom things for not much more.
    Seems very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Max

qwerty
    Free Member

Reynolds 953 stainless is rather yummy.

howarthp

I have or have had ti bikes from Litespeed, Merlin, Cotic, Lynskey, On One and Seven. The only one that was custom was the Seven. It’s 13 years old, fits perfectly and is an absolute joy to ride. I personally think it’s worth the extra to go custom.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Try http://www.kingdombike.com and Chris will be able to do something to suit you. Their Vendetta Boost is a spin off from what I asked them to do for me.

cookeaa

If you don’t mind OP, why does it need to be Titanium?

You seem quite set on the material but everything else is a bit fuzzy, geometry whether to go stock or custom fabrication… Shirley material comes last once you decide on the rest…

1500 squids is a significant sum for a frame, but throwing it at Ti won’t necessarily guarantee you don’t end up with a dog…£1500 spent on steel from a UK based frame designer/builder might be a better bet if you are looking for dialed geometry…

kimi
    Free Member

there’s a cracking thread on here somewhere about custom ti frames… by a certain bartyp if memory serves.

ibnchris

Tbh, it’s just something I’ve always wanted. Recognise irrational but just decided like the idea of ti. Stainless could tempt me though!

jonnyrockymountain

Sync, I run it rigid and with 100mm or 120mm forks bloody lovely

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Stop posting that Sync Jonny!
    Sickens me as I had one in my hands a week or so ago!
    Lovely looking but the Large was too small!
    I wish they did an XL!
    Spose that’s a good excuse to go custom!
    Max

hummerlicious
    Free Member

plus 1 for the Sync and the Travers!!

I’ve just got a Travers Russ Ti 29plus and although I stuck with his standard geometry I had some custom changes, mine has external cable routing for all cables, 2 x anything cage mounts and a direct mount front mech. I’m doing the Tour Divide this June and I wanted those changes to make it perfect for the job.

Travers Rusty by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hmm.
    Taking a shine to those Travers.
    Seems quite accommodating with custom options.
    And they can do an XL!
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Double post!

ibnchris

That travers rust ti looks ace! And planning the same ride in a couple of years. What kind of travel is it optimised for?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Not sure as I was always planning on running the rigid fork. I think it’s 120mm iirc. Geometry is very similar to my Sync so I feel very at home on it, just a bit wider and comfier for long days in the saddle!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but going on looks alone, this pisses all over any of Brants’ designs… Ever.

scotroutes

Don’t like the finish
    Hate curved seat tubes

Reminds me of an old Marin with the matched anodising though (this is a good thing).

somafunk

Reminds me of my old early 90’s Marin Eldrige grade

edit – doh! …beaten to it

bol

Still loving my Sync. I’ve had a few ti bikes including a custom Litespeed a couple built by Lynskey. The Kinesis looks and feels a lot closer to the Litespeed in quality than the Lynskeys and rides really well. I’d be anxious about a custom frame for similar money, but I guess it comes down to the designer and the features you want. My feeling is let someone who knows what they’re talking about do the r&d.

bigblackshed

That Triton is lovely. And I don’t normally go for matt blasted finishes.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Yeah I love those Triton’s, the bike he made for his kiddie was lush! If money was no object it would be a firefly or a Moots for me.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Tbh, it’s just something I’ve always wanted. Recognise irrational but just decided like the idea of ti. Stainless could tempt me though!

I was like that but have to say I found the idea of having a Ti bike better than actually owning one (Moots) nothing wrong with it and a very nice frame but didn’t ride any better (or worse) than any of my other bikes. I stupidly made the same mistake a few years later with a road frame.

I don’t spend as much as I used to on bikes these days. Partly due to family, not as much time to ride etc but mainly because I’ve realised that much of the hype about frame materials is exactly that. Good old fashioned steel for me these days.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Because looks alone really define how a bike rides, Anyone else remember cheap Russian titanium from the 90s?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Because looks alone really define how a bike rides,

Like I said ‘on looks alone’…
    I have no first hand experience of how it rides..

oldfart

Cheap Russki Ti ? Wasn’t that a company called DNA ? AFAIR MBUK found out the top tube was off cuts all joined together !
    I’ve got a Cove Hummer and a Kona Raijin , Litespeed and Lynskey in that order . The Hummer has more Ti “feel” and “pop” ? Than the Raijin but whether a lot of that is that ones a 26 and the others a 29 ? Hummer definetly has more character though .

brant
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but going on looks alone, this pisses all over any of Brants’ designs… Ever.

Thanks for your lovely words.That is indeed a great looking bike and Triton do some great work.

I do quite like this one we did but several people here seemed confused about why the saddle was too low.

kimi
    Free Member

[sorry to hijack] any noice road+ frames to show us yet Brant?

Rik
    Free Member

Brant – looks awesome but how much for the same thing in boost rather than the dh rear hub?

3.0 tyre compatible, short stays, 44mm etc etc

brant
    Free Member

I did a 650B monstercross for my cousin last summer. That started out as Road+ but we just kept getting bigger.

Some stuff about it here

My girlfriend has been running Road+ since before last summer. I was riding it at the beginning of last year. Proposed it to some clients in February, told WTB about what I was doing last March. Road+ is basically what Jan at Compass has been doing for ages, with a bit more volume, and harks back to Porteur bikes in Paris, and is at the root of what 650B comes from. It’s cool.

brant
    Free Member

Brant – looks awesome but how much for the same thing in boost rather than the dh rear hub?

3.0 tyre compatible, short stays, 44mm etc etc

£1200 whatever the rear hub.

The width of the rear hub determines how short you can pull the back end with 3in tyres though.

I just did a 420mm back end one with a 157mm hub with 3in tyres.

Rik
    Free Member

Brant – sounds awesome and that battlecat at looks ace!!

If it was a bolt through 12×148 boost rear hub with 1x 34t (or 32t oval) chainring on a 73mm bottom bracket – how short can you get the chainstays and still fit a 27.5 x 3.0 tyre in?

Guessing the curved seat tube helps, as does the chainstay plate?

brant
    Free Member

Rik – depends on which 3.0in tyre, what clearance you want. 440mm is perfectly doable even at 3.25in. I reckon 435 or 430mm with 3.0in WTB Bridgers, say.

Drop me an email (in profile) and we can have a look in detail.

scotroutes

Rik

Boost 12×148, 73mm BB, 3.5″ FatBNimbles on Scraper i45 rims (actual measurement 75mm), 440mm chainstays. Running an XT Boost double crankset – 36/26.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/B1TTXf]DSC_0332[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/DZLhJi]2016-03-06_08-36-12[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

There’s certainly some room to go shorter than 440mm with that spec.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ti frame – custom built or off the peg?’ is closed to new replies.