Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Ti Fatbike
  • nickf
    Free Member

7hz, I’m not upset, I’m taking the piss/pricking the bubble of nicheness. Seems I’ve touched a nerve with you. Emperor’s new clothes, perhaps?

I ride in natural terrain, haven’t been to a trail centre in years, and mostly use a steel hardtail. Irrelevant really; other people I ride with use full suspension bikes, other people ride rigid. Each to their own. But I’ll agree that I am a bit of a cynic.

Oh, and as one person appears to use a fatbike for the purpose intended, I’ve just eaten the head of a jelly baby. Who may have been wearing a hat.

singlespeedstu

chainslapp – Member

Hey Stu, you are being remarkably restrained today my friend, have you a temperature or are you as sick as the rest of us of all the whining??

No i’m just too busy enjoying riding all kinds of different bikes* to care what people i’ve never met think about bikes they’ve never tried.

*apart from road bikes because they are wrong. 😉

7hz
    Free Member

nickf – No nerve has been touched other than I think that the negativity and cynicism is unnecessary. I ride an aluminium 26″ hardtail, albeit with no front derailleur.

I’m not sure what you are referencing regarding ‘Emperor’s new clothes’, that saying doesn’t seem to fit with this conversation. That saying is used in the context of pointing out the failings of people in power.

Live and let live.

chainslapp
    Free Member

No i’m just too busy enjoying riding all kinds of different bikes* to care what people i’ve never met think about bikes they’ve never tried

Couldn’t have put it better myself and it looks as if Gary (RD) has gone to empty his net due to his absence?? 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

I’m out on my road bike, just so Stu can tut and shake his head….it’s got 29″wheels though and cable brakes

chainslapp
    Free Member

RD…….. be prepared to be forum abused for having such ultra niche components….. how very…very…very…. dare you??? 😆

epicyclo

nickf – Member
    I’ve no problem with whatever someone wants to ride…

You obviously do or you wouldn’t have posted

“But it’s for riding on snow….” We get snow for a couple of weeks a year.

Live way down south do you? 4 months up here. My first snow ride of winter was in November, and the last a week ago. They are also good on soft tracks, deep gravel, and are a brilliant skills compensator on rocky technical terrain.

if any of the fatbikes being lusted over on this forum get ridden seriously on a beach for any length on time, I’ll eat a substantial proportion of a hat.

I think you should eat a whole helmet because there’s quite a few beach riders.

I don’t feel the need to buy a new bike every ten minutes to fit a micro-niche that I’ve somehow persuaded myself (a) actually exists (b) I must be part of to be at the cutting edge of cool (c) I need to post pictures of.

It’s unfortunate that you think like this. It must restrict you in many ways in life, never trying anything new in case the peer group disapproves. Truly sad.

Well done RD, any more interesting pics? 😆

singlespeedstu

I’m out on my road bike

Freak.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bought a fat bike recently and guess what: I don’t care what nickf thinks about it!

mollski
    Free Member

hi can you please tell me what sort of handle bars are on the bike,make model please thank you

GW
    Free Member

I bought a fat bike recently

Have you? 😯
    I thought you’d made your own out of old bed frame and washing machines scalvaged from Macmerry and some vintage Gazalodi hucking tyres.

nickf
    Free Member

Epicyclo, your bike almost exactly agrees to my ticklist, though to be fair you have gears. Still looks like a singlespeed though….

Anyway, given that more than one person rides a fatbike at the beach, I’ve eaten some more jelly babies, and their hats as well. This is at great personal cost; I don’t like the yellow ones, but I forced myself to eat them anyway as penance.

epicyclo

nickf – Member
    Epicyclo, your bike almost exactly agrees to my ticklist, though to be fair you have gears. Still looks like a singlespeed though….

Anyway, given that more than one person rides a fatbike at the beach, I’ve eaten some more jelly babies, and their hats as well. This is at great personal cost; I don’t like the yellow ones, but I forced myself to eat them anyway as penance.

My bike has gears for when the snow is deep, but is SS the rest of the time, so you can add it to your ticklist. 🙂

I’m not sure you’re doing adequate penance. You should just eat the yellow jelly babies and send the rest to Rocket Dog who should do penance for starting this.
    😆

BTW Specially for you, I’ll be posting a fatbike photo tomorrow which is so niche that it may have missed a niche altogether…

rOcKeTdOg

What like “uber” niche, that’s like the holy grail of nichedom, can’t wait!

coastkid
    Free Member

How did your hat taste then? 😆
    just popped out to the man cave to check and mines still not rusted in half and done approx 3500 miles now 😉
    Theres 5 of em around here now, makes sense with fantastic coastline to ride all year round and miles of soft sandy singletrack 😮
    Hydro brakes will seize there pistons in no time if exposed to salt water,hence the BB7s on many of them…
    Uni cycling offroad is still more niche 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

Coastkid, at last a rational explanation of why you use those horrible brakes! Makes sense now, though I still think they’re rubbish.

D’you not end up destroying, well, everything with the grinding paste effect of the sand? Either that or you must have a hidous job of cleaning after every ride…

epicyclo

nickf, I’ve taken onboard what you said about “those horrible brakes” and ditched them.

Here’s the improved braking system (S-A XL-FD 90mm drum)

Now when I do this, I won’t have to listen to disk brakes complaining for the next half mile

mollski
    Free Member

Awesome machine dude looks the dogs

brakes
    Free Member

wwaswas

well, you certainly win the ‘most novel bar end position of the day’ prize.

I like that actually, it may look like a 20’s motorbike someone’s nicked the negine from but it kindof works.

It does look only one step away from requiring electric motor assistance now so I’d stop there 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

nickf, my brakes have been reliable but being cable are a bit vague compared to Hydro brakes but on the beach pin point braking isnt really needed and with 4″ low pressure tyres your not riding like a regular bike so its not so much an issue,
    strangely this bike costs less to run than a full susser (Heckler) that used to get thrashed around trail centers, it used to eat brake pads,drive chains,tyres and suspension servicing every year…
    Yes that was fun riding too… this is just a differant type of fun, but for me and living in the middle of 45-50 miles coast and 3 times that on sandy coastline trails on my doorstep i now dont do a 2 hour round trip drive,
    so i can go for a couple of pints on the way home 😮
    interestingly, another pugsley owner friend was just saying how most UK riders use of these bikes is not like American and Canadian riders on the US MTBR Fatbike Forum who treat them as sports bikes and high spec them-Ti frames,expensive 170 rear hubs and rims etc…
    a lot of them look on the pugsley as a poor mans fatbike..
    here its mostly cheap and cheerfull and ride till it breaks,
    i wouldnt spend 4 grand on a bike to ride through salt water with! 😮
    heres how i keep my bike rolling; Blog

epicyclo

wwaswas – Member
    well, you certainly win the ‘most novel bar end position of the day’ prize.

Not used as bar-ends. They’re so I can turn the bike upside down trailside if I have to work on it. (The Shimano shifter window sticks up and would get broken)

cozz
    Free Member

i love my fatbike, use it a lot on sandy singletrack, and had blast in this years snow

I cant explain why they make sense but they do and are so much fun to ride

bb7’s on mine work great

so if you see one doing a lap or two of rutland water tomorrow thet’ll be me

cynic-al
    Free Member

*Coastkid slamdunks nickf*

GW – Member
    I bought a fat bike recently
    Have you?
    I thought you’d made your own out of old bed frame and washing machines scalvaged from Macmerry and some vintage Gazalodi hucking tyres.

I’d slap you if you weren’t my senior.

mollski
    Free Member

what are the make and model of the handle bars on the first bike photo please

cozz
    Free Member

titec h bars – ive got them on my pugsley

moose2008
    Free Member

A previous post is correct, about me anyway, I’ve never taken my fat bike in snow or sand. My wife has a 4×4 car and has never done proper off roading in it, my friend has a sports car and has never been around a race track or raced it and another friend has an all mountain bike that he will never take where it’s designed to go. So what. None of these people would change what they drive / ride because what they have is perfect for what they like.

bundokbiker
    Free Member

The bike is fat, the bike was fun, and it don’t much care that you think it’s ridiculous 😉

Sure, it’s probably bandwagonesque, but my buddy’s fatbike was so enjoyable that I’m getting my own. Feel free to laugh and jeer when it comes in.

rOcKeTdOg

HeyBundobiker, hope you don’t mind me starting this thread about your pic, it was to admire the bike and I reckon those who like it would love to know more details of the build

bundokbiker
    Free Member

Mind? Not at all. Here’s what I remember from the build:

Pride frame
    King hubs, 160mm rear.
    Trial Tech rims
    Race Face 170mm cranks
    100mm BB, but I forget which brand
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    Titec Jones J Bar
    Selle Italia SLR
    Oury Grips
    Surly Pugsley 100mm fork with canti mounts cut off
    Avid BB-7 brakes
    Avid Ultimate levers

chainslapp
    Free Member

RD, your intentions were spot on by making people who are interested aware that a recent image of a Fat Bike had been posted on Flickr. The problem lies with the minority of STW members that feel it necessary to add negativity to posts that have no interest. Its been said before, if you are not interested, as with the TV, move along.

And please, everyone, don’t respond with “its an internet forum, freedom of speech” etc blah blah.

nickf
    Free Member

Its been said before, if you aren’t thick skinned enough to have the piss taken out of you, don’t post on a public forum

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

mikey3
    Free Member

They look like fun,which is what its all about right.

rOcKeTdOg

mikey3 – Member
    They look like fun,which is what its all about right.

ahmen to that

GW
    Free Member

and are a brilliant skills compensator on rocky technical terrain.

skill undercompensator more like! 😀
    Proper (ie. not sculpted trail centre crazy paving) rockgardens at speed must be **** mental on one if the uncontrolled rebound felt hitting a kerb at medium speed on CKs Pug is anything to go by.

moose2008
    Free Member

If you can’t get over a kerb without rebound you shouldn’t be doing rock gardens, my daughter can get up the kerb on her Barby bike without the wheels hitting the kerb, she is a good rider mind. 😆

epicyclo

GW – Member
    “and are a brilliant skills compensator on rocky technical terrain.”
    skill undercompensator more like!

Works for me. Stuff that has those annoying groobly bits that stop me dead on my 29er just get steamrollered on the Pug. Straight over the top rather than pick a line.

I’m used to riding rigid, so I’m used to bounding and rebounding all over the place. I don’t care what the bike is doing under me so long as the front wheel is pointing in the right direction.

Speed is relative of course.

GW
    Free Member

Works for me. Stuff that has those annoying groobly bits that stop me dead on my 29er just get steamrollered on the Pug. Straight over the top rather than pick a line.

I take it you’re only talking about low speed then because stopping dead on a DH rockgarden would result in ejection, most likely severe pain, possibly hospitalisation. 😉

Just for clarification I’m talking about square edge hits here, not hopping onto kerbs, or rolling through gobbly bits.

I ride BMX and rigid mtb too so do know how to ride a rigid bike but I also ride DH (on DH bikes and hardtails) and for me the combination of a rigid fork and huge low pressure balloon tyre felt horrible in comparison to either.
    unfortunately I doubt I’ll ever get to ride a fatbike through a proper rockgarden at speed to know for sure how it feels. (pity, ’cause I still have an urge to try and roll a tyre off CKs Pug.)

epicyclo

GW – Member
    I take it you’re only talking about low speed then because stopping dead on a DH rockgarden would result in ejection, most likely severe pain, possibly hospitalisation…

I’m talking about uphill stuff, so yes, low speed.

I don’t do DH, no appeal to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Ti Fatbike’ is closed to new replies.