Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ti 456 + triple clamp fork (Spesh E150) – yay or nay?
  • psychle
    Free Member

I guess this is a question directed at Brant if he's around (seeing as he was the designer of this frame, right?) Do you reckon the Ti 456 headtube will be cool with this fork? It's certainly not a DH orientated fork (and the frame wouldn't be used as such), but it is perfect (to me anyway) in it's intended all-mountain/trail use environment, I reckon it'd be excellent on this frame (I love it on my Enduro that's for sure 😀 )

I have emailed On-one, and have received a one liner back from Podge: "I don't believe the frame has a warranty for use with triple clamp forks" but that isn't really a definitive answer is it (or is it)?

I'm not going to be doing huge drop-offs (not brave enough :roll), the bike is just going to be my fun hardtail to compliment the Enduro, it'll be used for all-day rides, trail centres etc, maybe a bit of air every now and then… nothing at all challenging (I wouldn't have thought). So, waddayareckon, will I be alright?

Thanks for your thoughts all 😀

brant
    Free Member

For discussion on warranty for on-one products, I'd have to direct you to on-one. I haven't worked there for over six months.

Of course you could ask me a question about the Ragley Ti if you want…

psychle
    Free Member

Yep… I know that 😀 But (warranty aside), what are your thoughts on this fork on this frame (it was your design wasn't it? so I guess you'd know, or have a bit of a recollection, as to what it could take?).

What about the Ragley btw? Would it take the E150?

cheers 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brant
    Free Member

I'm not commenting on an on-one product. I might well have worked there, but things change and you really are best talking to them about their product.

As far as the Ragley goes, I would strongly recommend against it. My biggest worry would be from crash damage – the fear of the stanchions whipping around and denting the tubes.

And besides, the hilariously technical riding that I enjoy on my bike would be hampered by a dual crown fork, and it'd be a right arse getting it in the car when I wanted to go further afield.

psychle
    Free Member

fear of the stanchions whipping around and denting the tubes.

doesn't seem to bother Spesh on a carbon frame? the stanchions have stoppers on them anyhow that protect from just this happening…

nickc

I would strongly recommend against it.

Says it all really, no?

psychle
    Free Member

fair enough (though that does relate to the Ragley…)

garethh
    Free Member

Sounds fairly clear to me, nothing to stop you doing it but don't expect any comeback if the frame breaks. You can't really expect Brant to comment on a product hes no longer connected with, after all can you imagine going back to on one and saying 'well Brant said it was alright' not really fair to put someone in that position.
    G

hora
    Free Member

Whats the actual fork length? Say compared to Pikes or Mazzorchi's?

Back in 2001 I used to run Pyslo's on a rocky mountain Vertex. LBS worried about ovalising/headtube snapping but it never did and the frame is still around today (after being ridden for two years with +20mm travel ontop of its max). Thing is, I knew the risk was all mine- if it snapped tough tats on me.

Check the fork length- thats the critical bit for you IMO. Plus- if you do have an off and the bars spin round worsecase you'll have a big crease in your downtube/seattube…the carbon frame is probably reinforced at that point (surely?)

Hmmmmmmmm, on second thoughts sell those forks on.

brant
    Free Member

doesn't seem to bother Spesh on a carbon frame?

Would that be the carbon frame that's designed to run with the E150 fork?
    I'd certainly hope they'd at least giving a passing thought to damage. Do you not think?

As I didn't design the Ragley Ti to run dual crowns, I didn't give any thought to it. It's not like it's not hard to do something to increase the strength to do that (cross drill the downtube/top tube, weld in a tube with some bumpers on the end) but I didn't so there we are.

I don't think a little rubber bumper would do much to stop a good smack from a stanction clamped at either end.

If you want to run a dual crown fork, shopping basket, drop bar, 650B wheels, a 26.8mm x 500mm seatpost – you can do what you like. We warranty for manufacturing defects. Not crash damage or wierd stuff.

psychle
    Free Member

fair enough… didn't mean to get anyone's back up 😀 chill folks…

I'm still not sure if I will run this fork, but as I have a spare one lying about it'd be nice to be able to run the same setup as my Enduro (swapping wheels around without faffing with adaptors would be good).

Check the fork length- thats the critical bit for you IMO

A little ignorant here, sorry. Probably a daft question but what do you mean by fork length? Is it simply (possible brain wave here 🙄 ) they length of the fork from dropout to top of steerer?

Re. warranty, if I crashed it I wouldn't expect a warranty (why would I?), but I'd hope that I'd still get access to the crash replacement deal? And if a weld fails due to a manufacturing fault, I'd expect that to be covered still?

hora
    Free Member

Crown (where the fork race sits) to the dropout

hora
    Free Member

Re. warranty, if I crashed it I wouldn't expect a warranty (why would I?), but I'd hope that I'd still get access to the crash replacement deal? And if a weld fails due to a manufacturing fault, I'd expect that to be covered still?

Not a chance, if the makers say no and you do run those forks they'll say NO WAY and we told you!! I wouldnt the frames expensive. If it was a cheapy steel or aluminum I'd say go for it. After all, I too like to mendle/play abit with kit/bikes 8)

Hairychested
    Free Member

Why would you want a cock-up of a fork on the bike?

psychle
    Free Member

I don't think it's a cock up of a fork tbh… it had some teething problems, which have been fixed. I like it on my Enduro, suits that bike well and I suspect it'd suit the 456 as well…

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I find mine runs best with Pikes set to about 130mm. You may find that a 150mm triple crown blunts the sharpness of this frame.

chvck
    Free Member

Just do it!

psychle
    Free Member

You may find that a 150mm triple crown blunts the sharpness of this frame

Mayhaps… maybe the revelations that come with the frame are the way to go… I can always use adaptors to change my 25mm hub down to 20mm I guess…

chvck
    Free Member

If you think it'll work then just do it! Take it steady and see how it feels, if it's totally wrong then change it, if not then it's all good!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The fork length is from the dropouts to the top of the crown, where the crown race sits. It varies from one fork to another. For 130mm of travel it might vary from 490mm to 520mm ish. I've can understand it knocking back the head angle a bit, but why it puts so much extra stress on the frame i'm not sure as its only a small %age difference compared to say, rider weight.

Anyway i'm with Brant on this one, unless a frames designed to run triple clamps i wouldn't do it. One crash could write off the frame a lot more easily than with single crown forks.

Plus, and possibly more importantly, it'll look stupid.

thepodge
    Free Member

Er… I also said I'd try and check when I got back to work on Monday what the exact warranty did say.

psychle
    Free Member

no worries Podge (I posted this before I'd received your second email, sorry!), wasn't implying anything, very happy to have received an email from On-one on a weekend 😀

'twas just posting on here as I thought Brant might have a thought on the suitability of the frame for this fork…

thepodge
    Free Member

its all good, i'm trying to compile questions and similar like this for the new website so that its clear and easy for people to find info.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Chances are you'd be fine- you can get away with 20mm more fork than a frame is designed to handle in pretty much all cases and frames are tougher than a lot of people think.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

more like rofl harris 🙂

Nico
    Free Member

Good grief, ask a question about On One on this forum at your peril.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Ralph- I might just change my name to that 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

would 30mm be ok luke?

Does anyone have real world experience of dual clamps damaging frames?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ti 456 + triple clamp fork (Spesh E150) – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.