Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Ti 29er frame…advice on how to scratch the itch that wont go away…!
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Seriously thinking about scratching the Ti itch.

I scratched the 29er itch first and am a convert. I went for a Cotic Solaris and havent regretted the change from 26 to 29.

…and so to the second itch….

My ideal Ti frame would need to:

1. Accomodate a Rohloff so the frame would need to have either sliding dropouts or a EBB and have Rohloff cable routing along the underside of the downtube / chain stay.
    2. Share the same geometry as the Solaris (or as near as)
    3. Have a proven warranty back up.

Options thus far seem to be: Lynskey SL 29er, Van Nicholas, Moots and Pipedream.

Who am I missing…?

wwaswas

Enigma?

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I dont think they do Ti 29ers…steel…yes, but not Ti

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

VN should be able to do a custom Zion29er for you and the warranty doesn’t get any better.

Burls?

wwaswas

mmm, so they don’t.

how odd.

Clink

KOna Raijin

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Druidh..VN already do a Rohloff specific Zion29er but their site doesnt seem to have the details up yet…..not that I’m being impatient….much!

TooTall
    Free Member

Ti – not that much better than steel but costeth the earth.

I’m sure a custom steel frame that does what you want would be far more within reach.

haggis1978

What’s your budget? The fact you’re mentioning Moots means you could be willing to spend a pretty penny. Buying a Moots puts you into the same price bracket as Indy Fabs, Seven, Serotta, Black Sheep, Kent Eriksen (my fave) and a whole host of other fabricators. Check out the NAHBS or the Bristol Handmade bike show for a huge list of bike manufacturers

oldfart

I’ve just got a Kona Raijin built , goes like the proverbial and looks a bit special n all !

Raouligan
    Free Member

IF for me, I’ve had two steel frames from them now Road and MTB and the quality is just fantastic, bikes that I just love riding…

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bit scary how much some of these fabricators are…but if you’ve got an itch….it’s best scratching it properly. It’ll be a nice 40th pressie to myself!

c_klein87

Firefly bikes look to make very bespoke looking frames, with some neat touches but a very new company, despite most of them being ex IF bikes employees, or Kent Eriksen frames look great, i think most of them will do what you ask

bonesetter
    Free Member

oldfart – Member
    I’ve just got a Kona Raijin built , goes like the proverbial and looks a bit special n all !

Hey OF – Where did you get yours from? How much riding you got on it? Sounds like youre happy with the ride…?

haggis1978

Ive got a Raijin as well but as far as i know theyre sold out. They were supposed to only be making 250 of them but they are on the Kona website for 2013 and Kona have a habit of making it up as they go along with respect to their top quality steel and Ti hardtails over the years

bonesetter
    Free Member

How have you been finding yours Haggis? And how are running it? Cheers

tootallpaul

Burls…

You can choose the geometry, and all the Rohloff specific stuff as well.

Mine is copied from my Inbred 29er, and sorted for conversion from mtb to tourer. Inboard disk mounts, EBB, Rack and guard mounts, and crud catcher mounts.

Cost is similar, if not less than most off the shelf frames.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Russian made aren’t they?

Where was your Raijin from Haggis?

mcboo
    Free Member

Another Burls Ti29er owner. Had it a couple of months and very very happy. I looked at Kent Erikson etc for bespoke but couldnt justify the money. Couldnt get excited about Lynskey, stumbled upon Justin Burls……£1050 bespoke.

tootallpaul

Bonesetter- yep.

Justin is a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.burls.co.uk/titanium.php

mcboo
    Free Member

mcboo
    Free Member

Justin is a pleasure to deal with.

+1

He’s been building steel frames himself for years, listens to what you want then suggests some ideas. I gave him the geometry of my old 26″ bikes, he came up with 29er geometry for the type of riding I want. Couldnt be happier.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Burls looks very promising. Message duly left with Justin…

Any experiance with their warranty / service back up?

Thanks again for the recommendations. I can feel the itch getting stronger!

oldfart

Bonesetter , early days only ridden it 3 times so far still tweaking but overall very pleased .As Haggis said 2012s are supposedly all sold out , i was told 2013 models will be available from next February .

haggis1978

Only been out on one ride and that was today so i guess still fettling a bit as i’m not used to 29ers or SS really either. Was fantastic out today though and seemed dare i say it too fast for me in places lol Got it from my local Kona dealer a few months ago now but i was waiting a few months for it as well

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kona-raijin-ti-29er-what-do-you-think

Edit: Have to add though i do have a Kent Eriksen 26″ 140mm travel hardtail and it is an absolute dream machine. Welding on that far better than the Raijin and the Raijin is still very good quality welding. If you can, then go full custom sky’s the limit frame. Remember N+1 and get it whilst your young enough to give it the abuse it deserves 😈 I had my Eriksen built to take a bit of abuse and while it took me a few different builds to get it right and also a while to give it the use it deserves i am very very very happy with it

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Any advice on what type of chain length regulator to go for? If it’s going to be a custom frame then it’s obviously going to be between a EBB or sliding dropouts.

Both have good and bad points although it would appear that the Bushnell EBB gets rid of most of the faff associated with loosening BB’s?

Any thougts on these options would be appreciated

jameso

I have a ti frame with a Bushnell – if the BB shell is made to close tolerances it’s a great system. Mine’s been faultless over a year of heavy / regular use. Prefer the way it gives tesioning without disc brake forces acting on the sliders etc (a problem that nearly ended a friend’s ride during a recent 2-week bikepack trip). Just make sure it’s centred properly for the range of SS gears you may want to use.

Clink

Prefer the way it gives tesioning without disc brake forces acting on the sliders etc (a problem that nearly ended a friend’s ride during a recent 2-week bikepack trip). Just make sure it’s centred properly for the range of SS gears you may want to use.

Presume that’s a Jones?

Conversely I prefer sliding dropouts (like Paragon) as I find adjusting an EBB a pita.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yeah, I found Hustin/Burls very helpful. He couldn’t get CS’s under 17″ though, but certainly stands by his name

As for the Caijin, I’ll see for myself next week 🙂

clunker

Seven?

My Sola is currently set up as a singlespeed but with a change of drops can run Rohloff or a mech.

Steve Potts too but long waiting list 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m a bit tired with ordering from the US which is a big reason i went with the Raijin. I can order it from someone here in this country, pay via PP and have gaurentee’s etc if anything goes amisss, plus the price is right on this one as well a well sorted goe

Clink

I’m a bit tired with ordering from the US

Yep. Particularly the duty/20% VAT bit!

TiRed

I find adjusting an EBB a pita

Really? Two min job on my tandems. If anything I prefer it to my sliding dropout Kona.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Raijin guys – what BB have you gone for? I’m a bit lost on the BB30 thing…

haggis1978

It’s a PF30 not BB30.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oohh… so have I ordered the wrong part… here

haggis1978

No that’s the right part. PF30 is Pressfit30. You’ll be up and trucking shortly 😉 BB30 and PF30 use the same BB30 crank but a different bottom bracket. Where the press fit just presses into the frame a BB30 is basically just 2 bearings straight into the BB shell located with 2 circlips and away you go.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great, thanks for coming back there Haggis.

Frame shouldn’t be too long coming now 🙂 Been doing a bit of shopping… Truvativ AKA cranks, 30T Bling Ring (for tree climbing 🙂 ), Paul Chainkeeper

Thinking of some XT brakes to replace some old Formula’s, they’re a bit heavy, but I think will perform well…?

Plus a Eriksen Sweetpost 🙂

Clink

Plus a Eriksen Sweetpost

Nice!

haggis1978

You’re welcome bonesetter. So have you gone for the Raijin then? You won’t be disappointed 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Ti 29er frame…advice on how to scratch the itch that wont go away…!’ is closed to new replies.