• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dlr.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thyroid, anybody had it removed? ( sorry wrong forum)
  • samcamsdad

Been told I’ve got Graves’ disease, and that I need my thyroid romoving.
    Now, I’m not to keen on the idea, so I’m hoping to hear some positive storeys by any one who may have had it done.

samcamsdad

Any one this evening?

djflexure

Easy job then pop a pill for life. You will be back on your bike in no time.

sheck

My Mum had hers removed when I was a kid… She was most worried about scarring on her neck, but the work was discreet and she has had no negative effects at all. Op was 15-20 years ago

leythervegas
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same position mate. People who I have spoken to who have had it done say it can take a long time to get the meds right after the op. Some have told me they don’t have the same energy after but feel generally better. I’m not convinced having it took out I’d the best thing and although the op is supposed to be straight forward I’m not exactly thrilled to be having my throat cut open! I’ve been told I have to have it out as yours not supposed to stay in carbimazole for too long.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Dad had the op about 40 years ago, part removal and big scar across neck. The problem reoccurred 4 years ago, he took some type of radiation pill, couldn’t be near people for a couple of weeks, and now takes a pill a day. Still rides his bike, even sometimes wears a helmet 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I would highly recommend the following UK thyroid support websites. May I dispel the myth that you pop a pill and you’re sorted, it doesn’t work like that for everyone.

http://www.thyroiduk.org
    Forum:
    www.https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk
    http://tpauk.com/main/

Edit: Presumably you’re under the care of an Endocronologist? I would advise that you seek personal recommendations as not all are equal.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

I had mine removed as a teenager. Post-op you’re going to feel like your head might come off if you move to fast but its not too bad other than some discomfort with swallowing. I was lucky in that sorting out the levels afterwards was pretty straight forward and other than a couple of pills every morning I’m fine and active 20yrs later. I’ve never paid any attention to the Internet or others when it comes to thyroids but do understand some people really struggle with the meds. Don’t know if it’s the same for you but I had to take a course of iodine orally before the op, and the taste of that was definately the worst bit!

samcamsdad

Thanks for the replies everyone, and Thanks for the links CG, already looked through a couple of stories, not many people happy after removal!
    The thing I’m struggling to get my head around, is getting rid of my thyroid and not doing something for the graves, which is causing the problem in the first place!
    I Had 18 months on carbimazole 3 years ago, and it worked. My t4 and t3 were great for a year, but now my t4 is back up , so I’m back on the carbazole.
    I’m thinking something must have triggered it, but not sure what!
    Seeing the endo every 6 weeks, he seems decent, but is pushing for surgery, radioactive iodine is really an option, as I have three young kids.

djflexure

Forums often attract the worst cases so keep that in mind
    Just like STW

jobro
    Free Member

As someone who worked as a chemical pathologist for nearly 40 years I would thoroughly endorse CG’s comments above.
    The thyroiduk website is particularly good (much more so than American counterparts).

Best of luck with it.Absolutely no reason why you wont feel better after treatment and a settled period of medication.

cinnamon_girl

I’m non-straight forward hypo so I really don’t know anything about Graves. The Forums I’ve linked to do have users with Graves although many users will be hypo.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself as much as possible and certainly ensuring that your vitamins and minerals are at optimal level will definitely help.

You’ll need to sign up to those Forums to be able to post, there’s loads of support on them.

Wally

Wife had hers removed. Be aware parathyroids ( calcium regulation) are very close by and often removed by accident. So wife has calcium and thyroxine daily.

cinnamon_girl

Forums often attract the worst cases so keep that in mind
    Just like STW

Worst cases?

djflexure

Forums are not always representative might be better
    They can be a great source of advice and support
    They can also provide a platform for more theatrical expression
    Worth bearing in mind – broad brush stokes – not read the links

dlr

Thanks for the link cinnamon girl, going to read up to see if any useful info for me, been on the meds for a very underactive one for a couple of years but despite the blood tests apparently showing levels are ok, I still suffer from everything in the main image on the Thyroid UK site! 🙁

cinnamon_girl

dlr – I would highly recommend obtaining a copy of all your blood test results. Never believe a doctor when they tell you that your levels are ‘normal’, we’re all individuals and if you’re still not feeling good then it needs to be investigated. Learn as much as you can as the only person who’s genuinely motivated in seeing you get better is yourself.

dlr

Good idea, will ask for them after my next test, cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thyroid, anybody had it removed? ( sorry wrong forum)’ is closed to new replies.