Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • thule clip on bike rack, didnt go too well
  • andybrad

Ive just purchased a thule bike rack the clip on one 9103. And the fitting kit for a golf. Now I went to fit this last night. It didn’t go too well.
    Its this one
    https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-clipon-9103-_-910301

I imagined that I would just hook it over the top of the boot, adjust the lower hooks / clips and be ready to go. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. The top hooks wont drop into the gap between the boot and the roof. So as per the instructions I slid them on from the side (a little fiddly and it kind of defeats the clip ons fix it and go idea but hey ho) and to do this I had to have the boot fully open. Then on closing the boot the clips got trapped between the boot and rood taking the paint off the roof.

Im using the 9115 clips and these have a different profile to the original ones and have a slight double step in them. Ive checked these vs others and they are correct for the kit.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

matt_outandabout

Nothing.

In my experience clip on racks (and I owned a very similar one to the one you have) will all do minor damage to a vehicle.

We applied protective tape to the car where the rack ‘grips’, I had to bend the end of the metal clip to stop it protruding as far when you close or open the boot.

andybrad

oh ****

kiwijohn

I Heli-taped where it sat on my Fiesta. Even then, I had to hook 1 side on & jiggle it across to hook the other.
    Panel gaps are a bit tighter these days.

d00m
    Free Member

I had a Thule clip on rack on my old focus, scratched the boot to bits top and bottom. Never again

uberscott

You may want to have a look at these:

https://www.saris.com/product/hatch-huggers

They’re designed for boot hatches with glass edges, but they may be useful in your situation. I’ve got a pair that have been sat in my garage for years, they’re yours if you want them. Email me your address and I’ll pop em in the post to you – my email’s in my profile.

spooky_b329

I used to use the Halfords version of those Saris donut things, preferred them as they are trapped inside the boot rather than being able to come unclipped. No good for the OP’s rack though as it looks like the top straps are metal.

(I also dumped the bottom hooks and use to pass the straps through bumper supports so they tightened up as a noose and couldn’t fall off)

mooman
    Free Member

Never had problem with mine.

Beagleboy

We had that same rack for my wife’s old style Micra. It eventually took the paint off the top and bottom of the boot. It’s also lethal to cars that have wee spoiler thingys at the top of the boot, (sorry Shazz).

We’ve got a roof rack now.

C.

andybrad

yup, i think im going to look for a roof rack for future.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I had a bit of heli tape where I attached my Thule boot rack so I knew where to locate it every time I installed it and to protect the paint a bit.

Don’t install it when those areas are filthy, that’ll accelerate wear, and also be careful when installing it. You don’t have to treat it like a baby child but I’ve seen people throwing them on then complaining about damage – well duh!

Never had damage with a boot rack.

I did with a roof rack!

andybrad

how did you damage with a roof rack?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Hoisting a bike above my head isn’t always going to go 100%. Scratched car installing rack a couple of times despite being very careful – don’t want to leave it on all the time.

I now have a towball rack which is by far the best option but it is expensive, the only rack I’d never have again is a roof one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘thule clip on bike rack, didnt go too well’ is closed to new replies.