Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Thule bars – is this correct?
  • stox
    Free Member

Just fitting my bars onto skoda estate that I had on a Renault a few years back.
    Can’t quite remember if I used to have this gap on the inside or not once I’d tightened them up …..

Thule 755 so correct foot pack … Just the roof rails are a wedge shape on the inside so the inside clamp isn’t going to meet it flush …bars feel solid but I’ve got a roof box to go on so I want to be sure I’m not missing something!

franksinatra

No, that is wrong, the inside needs to clamp onto the rails.

Your bars look too narrow for the car and certainly not safe

Jase
    Free Member

Undo, shove clamp across so inside is flush, do back up.

tonyd

+1 Jase.

Just undo the clamp, lift and wiggle a little bit as you tighten, it should pull in. The bars aren’t too short IMO, mine have less overhang than that and are the correct ones per the Thule website.

franksinatra

Agree, I suggested that the bars might be short as I assumed he had done the ‘lift and wiggle/shove’ action

stox
    Free Member

Not getting far with the lift and shuffle technique but I’ll persevere!
    Thanks for the replies …

tonyd

Try giving the part of the clamp that moves (the inside bit) a pinch as you lift, wiggle, and wind – it might need a little help.

stox
    Free Member

It just doesn’t look like the inside part is ever going to be in the right position to go flush up against the inside of the rail.
    Starting to pee me off now as it should have been a 5 min job! 🙂

Jase
    Free Member

Try raising the clamp up slightly as you tighten so that the lowest part ‘hooks’ underneath.

Cougar

Are you putting the back one on the front and the front one on the back? </randomguess>

P20

I’ve got the non aero set on my octavia which I bought 2nd hand. They had previously been used on a Laguna touring. They’ve been fine, can’t remember any problems fitting it

the-muffin-man

stox
    Free Member

Here’s another pic if it helps … You can see that the roof bars are not circular right round hence me having trouble getting the Inside clamp to come into the rail. At this point on the photo the bars are tight and won’t come in any further . I can’t alter the angle of the inside clamp any more than this either.

P20

Just checked. Mine are like that last photo. They’ve been fine. Rock solid with a loaded roof box last weekend over to the lakes

stox
    Free Member

P20 – Member
    Just checked. Mine are like that last photo. They’ve been fine. Rock solid with a loaded roof box last weekend over to the lakes

Thanks! Is that on an octavia?
    I was starting to wonder if its meant to be like that since the 755 pack covers a lot of different roof rails.

I’ll fit them up tmrw and see how they go. Just got a new roof box so that needs to go on.

P20

Yes mk2 estate

stox
    Free Member

Thanks very much. Put my mind at ease.

roofracks
    Free Member

On a Skoda Octavia with roof rails you can fit a Thule 755, 757 and 775 without any problems.

Sometimes due to the shape of the rails it might mislead you in thinking its not a good fit.

I must say that I have encountered a person that had this issue but on a different vehicle, we assured it was fine. He eventually just bought a 775.
    So if you feel more comfortable with a strapped version than I would say go for one.

Jase
    Free Member

I had a look at mine and my roof bars are a similar shape (Mondeo) but my clamp sits flush – I should have took a pic.

Not sure how likely it would be but if the clamp manages to move up surely the bars will be loose.

wallop

What year Octavia is it?

stox
    Free Member

It’s a 56 plate so mk2.
    I’ve had the bars on WITH the roof box now for 4 days and had no problems. I keep checking them and they are solid.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Thule bars – is this correct?’ is closed to new replies.