Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Thule aero bars and 591 bike carrier – help please!
  • cinnamon_girl

I have just fitted the 591 bike carrier to the aero bars but am a little concerned with the fittings.

Have previously used the square bars with a 591 but with aero bars, there are some different fittings namely 3 x square-ended bolts. Have attached these to the fittings, one of which has a key, but they don't actually seem to secure to anything 😯

Cycle carrier does seem to feel secure on the roof bars but am naturally terrified of putting a bike up there.

Anyone have experience of this please? Suggestions would be gratefully received 🙂

Thank you so much.

CG
    (trying to lose the bimbo tag)

cinnamon_girl

Before anyone suggests that I should RTFM, I did so there 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Not too sure if the model is the same as mine but the aero bars should have a slot running all the way along the top. This may be covered with a rubber strip which you need to pull up & out. At either end of the bars there are a clip/door that you open. The square bolt then goes in there with the threaded part upwards.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you. Yes, I have done that and everything else in the manual. If anyone has a manual, it's (3) that I'm referring to with aero bars.

It's the way that the parts attach to the bolt that concerns me, ie they are not actually fixed to anything.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ok. Next step (for the first time anyway) is position the carrier over the threaded bolts in the bars. You should find the holes easy enough. The plastic levers have small metal cirular "nuts" inside. These may need rotated to see the hole for the bolt and get it lined up. You then screw these on.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Oh – and dont screw the levers all the way in – they work just like quick releases for wheels where the last bit of tightening is done with the cam action.

And a handy hint – keep the one with the key nearest the side of the car youre mounting it on so you can unlock it easier.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again. Yep, done all that. Just don't feel it's that secure. When I used square bars, the fitting was different, ie it was secured underneath the bar and clamped. With the aero bar, the plastic just doesn't seem to grip anything although it's taut.

I'm probably just being neurotic. 🙄

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Can you move it about when the plastic levers are locked down? Youre sure the levers are about as tight as a wheel QR?

The strenght comes from the lever pulling the top of the bar up against the bottom the carrier ie squeezing the carrier onto the bar. Or put another way I doubt that you could pull those square bolts straight up out of the bars with all your might!

cinnamon_girl

No, it doesn't move. I could only turn the plastic lever so far otherwise it would not have pushed down.

I'm sorry, I am being neurotic but a few years ago had a Thule product fail on me and it's not something you forget 😯

Thanks very much for your help though 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Is this your setup?

so the three bolts slide into the tracks then the lever you rotatate onto the bolt and screw down until tight enough to lower the lever to clamp down and then it will be clamped. If to easy to lower each lever then you haven't twisted down onto the thread enough so give it a few more rotations. Thats all there is to it – if your bolts are too short then obviously you can't tighten anything?

Do you need an adapter pack?

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Car-Products/Thule-Rack-Accessories/Thule-T-Track-Adapters-For-Aero-Bars/00098c.aspx

cinnamon_girl

Yes Foxy, thank you. Will see if the levers can rotate a wee bit more as there was only a miniscule amount of thread showing.

As I said earlier, for square bars the fixing just seemed more reassuring.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have the square bar setup and I agree but I think your bolts may not be long enough and you might have to get another bolt adapter pack no?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I've got square on one car and aero on the other and agree that the sqaure setup is more intuitive. But in use the aero one seems just as sturdy to me.

Foxy has a point about the bolts. If you pop one of the levers up can you see some bolt thread coming out the top of the metal circular nut inside the lever? If the top of the bolt is still inside the nut it is too short.

geoffj

If you are putting genuine Thule 591s onto genuine Thule Aero bars then you shouldn't need any longer bolts than are supplied.

The 2 T bolts for the front of the rack are longer (61mm) than the one at the back (35mm).

Start off by checking they are the correct length.

The next thing to check is that the lever is in the open position as you screw it onto the bolt.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, glad you agree with my comments re square bars 🙂

No, thread doesn't show through nut. Just not much showing t'other side.

Thanks again!

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.thulespareparts.co.uk/products/bike-roof-mount-parts/thule-tour-bike-carrier-510

This chap really knows his onions give him a call and I'm sure he will be able to help, sounds as though the bolts are too short which is weird.

J

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Elaine, if you're having stress with it, bring it round my place tonight and we can have a proper look at it. I'll be home about 6pm.

I don't mind, or I wouldn't offer. 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Please post results if you have any to see if any of us were in the right ball park 😉

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Pete, that's very kind of you but I will have a look tomorrow with fresh eyes, as it were. I'm just a bit neurotic where my bikes are concerned 😳

To everyone else, thank you for helping 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Thule aero bars and 591 bike carrier – help please!’ is closed to new replies.