Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Thule 598 vs. 591
  • iainc

I have an opportunity to replace my 4 yr old 591’s with 598’s at a decent price. Are they noticeably better, easier, more secure ?

Thanks

winston
    Free Member

The differences are:

Torque lock on the click wheel – useful for carbon frames as you can’t over tighten

ratchet on the wheel straps – much easier to use than old style

Bigger hook on the frame holder – bike isn’t as likely to fall out when you are mounting

Are they better? Yes
    Are they worth upgrading perfectly good 591s? Not unless you have money to burn.

ratherbeintobago

On this thread it suggests the big difference is that 598s have got a torque limiter and 591s don’t, otherwise they’re much the same.

I’ve got 598s that I’m happy enough with, but it depends what I can find when I need another two for the kids’ bikes whether I go with the same again or 591s.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I agree with the above, definitely better but I wouldn’t bother upgrading.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My 591’s are about 4 years old and have been on the roof of my Smax pretty much all that time and apart from a bit of accumulated muck they’re as good as new. I can’t see the point in upgrading.

iainc

OK, thanks all, will probably stick with what I have

timmys

As other said. Defiantly worth the money for 598 over 591 if starting from scratch but not worth upgrading.

geoffj

And you can’t get the wider wheel trays for the 591s

vincienup
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    And you can’t get the wider wheel trays for the 591s

This would be the reason I’d swap a 591 for a 598 unless the 591 was broken.

You might maybe just to say get a 275plus wheel clamped in a 591 but you definitely won’t get a 4″ fatty strapped down, and as I’ve demonstrated in the past – if you swap out the standard strap for something longer and try to strap down a 4″ fatty that way, eventually you find a wind strong enough to turn the front wheel as the tray isn’t wide enough to support it – and then the bike probably goes over sideways. You *can* modify the existing trays with bits of plastic drainpipe and pop rivets, but now that you can buy ready made and warranted adapters for the 598 that you insurance will be ok with, is there really any point?

tillydog
    Free Member

The later 591s have ‘L’ shaped wheel trays, rather than ‘U’ shaped. My 591 holds a 4.7″ fat tyre plenty securely (with longer straps).

vincienup
    Free Member

… I thought my 591’s were holding a fatty perfectly well with cut down ratchet straps too, until it didn’t las Christmas Eve around Wetherby while I was driving home for Christmas …

I haven’t swapped yet, but I plan to change out one 592 for a 598 with wide trays for peace of mind..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Thule 598 vs. 591’ is closed to new replies.