• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thule 598 and crabon fribe.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clamping a carbon frame with the above. Will I my frame die?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Mine hasn’t so far…

shortyj15

Just put some helitape where it clamps, also be careful of clamping it too tight.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

The 598 has a torque limiter that prevents overtightening. It’s also possible to buy a carbon frame protector from Thule for about £15, but I haven’t bothered.

warns74
    Free Member

I’ve never had an issue with clamping a carbon frame in a thule 591 in over 9 years and this new 598 is a great evolution. Not only is the contact area very soft and pliable against the frame it also has a torque setting on the clamp ratchet so you can’t overtightened it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All of the above makes me happy.

Thank you, one and all. Excellent real world experience as ever.

matther01
    Free Member

Try purelyoutdoor. I signed up to their newsletter and got £10 off mine. Be warned that the 598 only comes with Thule bar adapters. I had to buy a separate set for my square bars.

My Capra has never been happier 🙂

scotroutes

We have six of those on top of each van and it’s the carbon bikes that typically end up there (it’s a long way up to lift a LHT). We never have any issues.

geoffj

The jaw on the 598 is a lot squishier than on a 591. Add this feature to the torque limiting ratchet and it’s a decent bit of kit. I’ve got a couple with the fat bike wheel trays and I’ve been mightily impressed. Just need to order another now that Miss J has got her own fatty 😀
    Edit: and it looks better in black IMHO

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack but where is cheapest for one?

I can get the 591 for £65, the cheapest I’ve seen 598 is £85?

orangespyderman

I have a 591 that I use regularly. Even with that I can’t believe you can tighten it up enough to damage a frame unless you’re the Hulk or using some kind of lever. Some obviously have, hence the change on the 598, but if you’re used to anything like mechanical sympathy it shouldn’t be an issue. If you regularly strip threads when maintaining your bike and use your tap and die set more than any other tool, maybe steer clear of it but otherwise, just go for it.

warns74
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack but where is cheapest for one?
    I can get the 591 for £65, the cheapest I’ve seen 598 is £85?

Dunc, where are the 598’s for £85, (I’m after another one) and does this include delivery?

Cheapest I’ve seen 591 is Sandcliffe for £63.48 (incl delivery)

andyl
    Free Member

jaw looks much nicer on the 598, don’t think I would even consider the 591 for only £20 difference.

The lower jaw on the 591 is quite shallow and the rubber hard but the extra lip on the 598 looks like it will better at preventing the bike being forcibly removed and the extra squish make it a bit more snug. Wheel trays also look wider and wheel straps more robust.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Warns – I saw them in my local Halfords at the weekend for that much. Wiggle say they are that much but out of stock.

I also found another place, but their prices were from £85… if you were buying x 2…

I also found this place in Selby doing the black one for £85, but just rung them and they don’t do delivery, pick up only.

https://www.harlandfletcher.co.uk/product/thule/thule-proride-598-black/

Edit – I have just ordered from Purely Outdoors. Using their £5 discount code. £10 discount if you spend > £100

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks Dunc, do you happen to know if any of them do lock matching so I can get the right numbered barrel with the 598?

momo

Out of interest, is the 598 longer than the 591? finding that my front wheel tray is almost hanging off the end of the rack.

iainc

^^^ just undo the clamp bolts and move it back a bit on the tray surely ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thule 598 and crabon fribe.’ is closed to new replies.