Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thule 591 query
  • rascal
    Free Member

This might seem like a really dumbass question, but does each one of these have it’s own unique key/lock?
    Surely they must, or anyone who has one could unlock/nick bikes on someone else’s.
    Let it be so….

pdw
    Free Member

Not unique, but there are lots of different keys. I think they’re identified by a 3 digit number so perhaps 999 different ones? Most places selling them will match the locks so you can have one key for everything.

sc-xc

^ and a letter, for example N154

This would suggest (perhaps – I’m guessing) A-Z 1-999 ??

26 x 999 = 25974 combinations?

Dunno though.

rascal
    Free Member

Hmmm…if some scumbag had a key for one there’s a chance it could fit yours and nab your pride and joy?
    It’s not inconceivable.
    Does anyone know if a Commencal Meta fits with no problem?

asterix
    Free Member

think a scumbag with a big screwdriver might be more worth worrying about

mattstreet

I suspect there’s a few combinations of keys, but I only consider them a deterrent against the opportunist – anyone pre-armed with a long screwdriver (edit: beaten to it!) will easily prise the jaws of a clamp apart.

I’ve got an old Orange ST4, which is similar to the Meta, and that fits into my 591s no problem – just have to be careful about protecting frame/cables on the downtube.

leffeboy

think a scumbag with a big screwdriver might be more worth worrying about

That. This locks break amazingly easily. I consider them just a way of preventing the clamp accidentally opening

rascal
    Free Member

Still the best roof mounted option though?
    Anyone got/used Mont Blanc or good ol’ Halfords?
    So many questions…. 😉

mattstreet

Still the best roof mounted option though?

Yes. 🙂

captain-slow
    Free Member

591 fits my 2006 Meta 5.20 fine and I have no concerns about key combinations, but don’t rely on the locks if leaving the car anywhere out of line of sight…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thule 591 query’ is closed to new replies.