Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Thule 591 pro ride bike carrier
  • kirky72
    Free Member

I’ve been forewarned that some of te Thule carriers cannot reach the top tubes on larger bikes, and that they may not fit he longer wheelbase of a 29er.

Does anybody know if there is a max wheelbase for the 591 their site doesn’t show one. I’ve heard of some people using for dh bikes so don’t expect to have a problem but just want to check in case anybody knows.

My bikes wheelbase is 1188mm

Cheers

fadda

My Cube 29er has a wheelbase of 1141mm, and fits in a 591 very easily. Tbh, it’s difficult to imagine a “normal” bike that wouldn’t fit.

Just for the record, you do mean the down tube for the clamp?

midlifecrashes

I use one for an XL Fargo, I can go measure the wheelbase at half time in the footy. It’s big though, but not slack angled.

tor5
    Free Member

My bike has the same wheelbase and fits OK, it’s a 26″ though.

kirky72
    Free Member

Great thanks, I did men the down tube. A riding al me his Thule. I think the 532, wouldn’t hod his down tube.

midlifecrashes

Wheelbase only about 1090, but looking at the Thule, there’s another 170mm ish of capacity on there judging by where the plates are now.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My medium Covert wheelbase is 1133mm and fits fine on a 591, so 1188mm should fit fine. It would have to be a real big ass bike to not fit.

honourablegeorge

No issues with an 1180 Nicolai

drovercycles
    Free Member

We’ve had slack, full-sus 29ers on there (Commencal Meta AM 29er) with no problems. Can’t see you having any issues at all to be honest. Wheelbase is 1182mm according to the geometry charts.

Superficial
    Free Member

I think whoever suggested that didn’t really understand the rack. The key is to put the down-tube clamp on first, and THEN strap the wheels in (you can adjust the length of the wheel slot to suit). Unless the downtube is 3 feet off the floor at its lowest then there’s no issue.

I’m sure there are bikes that don’t fit easily – Perhaps if there’s a weird downtube-mounted shock it might not like that. E.g. The old Giants with the ‘Glory Hole’ in the downtube. But bog-standard 29ers? No problems.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

I’m just about to buy 2 of these.

I will from time to time carry my Nomad C.
    Now I’ve heard weird stories of carrying carbon bikes on these type of racks but surely if I make sure that I wrap something around the down tube for added protection I should be ok?

Pridds

Mine’s taken my nomad c no issues. Not put extra protection as I’d rather take my chance with a bit of scratching then have something between the bike and the clamp that might fall out and mean its not clamped in properly

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well if a carbon SC can withstand being smashed against the corner of a concrete block I’m sure the clamp of the 591 will not even touch it. You can’t really over tighten the clamp around the tube anyway. Use helitape on the contact point to prevent the paint surface becoming abraded /dulled. But use thicker stuff than I did which just wore through after a few trips.

cp

The standard clamp material is surprisingly resilient to scratching, and as has been said, I’d rather not have something extra with between clamp and bike.

Ignore carbon scares, lightweight alu bikes are thinner wall.sextion and more liable to crushing for the most part.

warns74
    Free Member

Use my 591’s with an XL Orange Clockwork 29, and an XL stumpy FSR 29er (carbon) with 1210 mm wheelbase. No issues at all with size, fit, clamping on carbon etc.
    Prior to this I used the 591’s for 5 years with my carbon enduro, not a single problem.

The only thing I do is to put a strip of thicker helitape at the point where the clamps touch the frame, just to stop it getting scratched up when its muddy.

benp1

Same here

Wheelbase of my XL framed Spesh Hardrock is 1122mm. Fits on my Thule 591 no probs. Wheel clamps move forwards and backwards

warns74
    Free Member

Also worth noting that the clamp part of the 591 (where it attaches to the roof bar), can be slid forwards or backwards along the main gutter (or whatever its called) to ensure a good fit and that you get the wheel clamps evenly spaced front and rear. Its just held in by a couple of allen key headed bolts. This also helps you adapt it for different frame shapes on the down tube.

bigrich

road bikes fit on.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I think the only issue I have had with mine is if your roof bars are really far apart because if you move the main clamp thing with the arm attached too far forward the front wheel won’t fit on the rack.

Scott Ransoms don’t fit either.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Thule 591 pro ride bike carrier’ is closed to new replies.