Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Thule 591 clamp – very stiff
  • DickBarton

I think my Thule 591 Clamp is on the way out – it no longer springs open…it closes and locks and still holds the bike, but it now requires serious effort to open the clamp to get a bike in. I’ve tried soaking it in oil and I think something has finally given up the ghost.

It hasn’t opened by itself but I’m kind of thinking it will break properly at some stage and I’d prefer not to have to rescue my bike from the side of the road!

Looking at this website – Thule ProRide 591 Spares – it looks like I need a Tightening Mechanism Support Arm (Part no. 33591).

A very daft question (before I fork out for this new part) – has anyone else suffered this issue and is it fixable? Am I assuming it is dying when it actually might just need a rejig to reset something?

Cheers.

geoffj

I’ve never had one go like that, but I wouldn’t pay £55 for that part alone. New ones can be had for not much more cash

e.g. http://www.sandicliffeshop.co.uk/product/Thule_591_Cycle_Carrier_%7C_Bike_Carrier_Roof_Mounted_ProRide_%7C_Upright_QKE73880010-2116

Stu_N

I’ve got an old one that is like that. I think it’s friction between the fixed and moving parts of the clamp arm, as it telescopes there’s a large surface area so probably doesn’t take much for it to become sticky.

Rarely use the carrier, it’s in the middle of the roof bars so can get a third bike on if necessary) and the ratchet/ clamp works so I can live with it. If there’s an easy solution I’d like to know though!

DickBarton

Gt85 down the spout temporarily helps. Maybe some spray grease might help it for longer…

Martin.B
    Free Member

Judicial use of some coppaslip on the metal parts will make it much smoother

DickBarton

Aye, but that involves a strip down to get to those parts…and it doesn’t look obvious…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Thule 591 clamp – very stiff’ is closed to new replies.