Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thule 591 and Derby rims
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Right I’m picking up a 591 second hand and am now wondering whether the straps and wheel holders will do the trick. I’ve had the towbar carriers before but always had difficulty with the straps and them being long enough to get round the fairly deep section of Derby rims and magic Mary’s. Has anyone tried this combo or thinks it’ll be okay from experience with other combos

momo

Not tried that combo, but they fit fine around my superstar carbon rims with HDs.

wwaswas

I’ve had problems with my fat bike and Thule straps on a tow bar mounted bike rack.

I just use the shortest versions of these now to hold them on.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/straps/fasty_straps_range.php

they’re slightly wider than the Thule ones which with a carbon rim makes me feel a little more comfortable as well.

[edit] The tyres still sit ‘in’ the tyre well due to their shape, it’s just the straps that aren’t long enough’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GolfChick
    Free Member

Okay cool might pick up a set of those straps just in case there are issues.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have had my light bicycle rim with magic Mary on mine and there is probably 3″ of strap left to spare.

wwaswas

Oh, you can cut the straps to the length you want to, just heat the cut end over a flame to stop it fraying and also cut at a 45 degree angle to make it easier to thread through the clip.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

I have this combo, it’s no issue at all. I’ll just leave it there and not give a big explanation, because it reall is not an issue there is loads of adjustment, it’s more of a concern the tyres are wider than the gap with some tyres, but again not an issue in reality

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thule 591 and Derby rims’ is closed to new replies.