Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thule 561. Its a bit poor/crap
  • hora
    Free Member

I don’t understand, the 591 carrier is amazing. Well design, quality v weight etc whereas the 561 is terrible. Where are you supposed to rest your forks? On the roof of your car? High risk of damage IMO. It needs a ‘restin/catch plate’ under the bolt through assembly. Plus ONE small bolt to hold two big pieces together???? It flexes at that joint when you test shake the bars. Anyone else?

si69jc
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Hard to explain but youve got to hold the bikes weight 6ft in the air (balancing) the front whilst trying to thread your own 20mm axle through. That link shows the std qr assembly. The 20mm conversion does away with that and uses a machined piece of steel tubing. Luckily I pre guessed and put a wheelbag on the car roof to protect/for the inevitable

flatfish
    Free Member

I use the 15mm version without any problems, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18596

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Er, I had a 20mm converter that you fitted on the ground and then lowered that into the QR…..

Once the back wheel is in the tray you should be able to hold the fork leg. You’re not exactly short Hora.

hora
    Free Member

Canr do this on mine. The 20mm sleave needs to be already in place. If they added a simple tray ot lip underneath itd really help with the risk of ‘dropping’ the forks whilst fiddling.

darrell
    Free Member

i find all Thule roof bike racks to be a LOT crap.

So badly designed

hora
    Free Member

Flatfish. Your adaptor has a raised height/arc of fork movement though which makes it easier? The risk (and its going to happen on a cold wet day) is thousands to repair a gash or dent in the roof properly IMO. So thats the wheelbag for the foreseable future then as a safety net/impact cushion. The 591 is brilliantly simple compared.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thule 561. Its a bit poor/crap’ is closed to new replies.