Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Thule: 532 or 591?
  • bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Hello,
    Looking at getting some roofrack carriers.
    Anyone have any experience of both? Is the 591 worth the extra money? Or are the 532’s perfectly good racks?

Cheers

TiRed

591 are worth the extra. You can’t overclamp a thin tube using excess leverage. Also you won’t have to reach up as high to clamp the bike once it is in place on the car. I’ve had both.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Just got a pair of 532 from leisure lakes for £68 delivered as they have 10% off and there is a code for a extra 5% on voucher codes website Im Chuffed with the quality and holds the bikes rock steady and with locks etc I think it was a bargin

Paul-S
    Free Member

With anything, if your going to use, then yes.

If it is only for the family holiday twice a year, get the cheaper ones, but if you will be using them regularly, I think that it is worth splashing the cash.

I got a pair from here a year or so ago ( http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/2x_Thule_591_Proride_Cycle_Carrier_-_1698518_591X2 £119 for a pair ) and I am happy even though I don’t use them as much as I should.

P.

benp1

100%, without a shadow of a doubt worth the extra

I can get my bike loaded on top of my car in well under a minute, its that easy

honourablegeorge

592 is excellent. Only gripe is some frame designs are tricky yo clamp because of shock placement – looking at a 561 to take my Makulu

endurokid
    Free Member

561 fork mounted.

Head & shoulders above the rest, holds the bike better, looks better, more aerodynamic, no contact with the frame so you don’t get nasty frame rub from dirt.

After using both of the above I’d never go back to a frame mounted rack.

Takes a little longer to mount as you have to remove your wheel, but it only takes a few minutes, if that.

Only downside is if your using a 15mm/20mm adaptor you can’t lock your bike on, but would you really leave your pride and joy on the roof of your car unattended? I certainly don’t!

Oh, the supplied 20mm adaptor is rubbish, I bought a Hurricane Fork Up on here, couldn’t be happier with the set up.

I also use a Thule wheel bag to keep the crap out my car and protect my wheel.

But that’s just my opinion.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

561’s were on sale at Towequipe £120 a pair delivered. Check it out,t hey may still be doing it. Not ad wobbly as 591

endurokid
    Free Member

£120 a pair delivered, wow!

I paid £90 for one!

Absolute bargain at that price!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thule 591’s will be the only bike rack you’ll ever buy. They’re great and I don’t find them wobbly at all and have found myself comfortably cruising on the motorway with three bikes on the roof at very decent, if not somewhat naughty, motorway speeds. I’ve not had the 532 model, but have had similar non-Thule racks in the past. They work ok, but not so good with oversized or odd shaped down tubes and are definitely not as secure, maybe the Thule ones are better (probably are, Thule is damn good gear). The 591 is rock solid whatever the downtube shape or size. Fork mounted ones work, but you have to remove a wheel, which is a faff when your bike is muddy. With a 591 you ride upto your car and within 10 seconds it’s on your roof and you’re ready to go.

I guess it boils down to how much you’re going to use them. If it’s frequent, I’d say go with the 591’s, if once in a blue moon then the 532’s will be fine.

neilpass
    Free Member

I’ve been carrying bikes on the roof of my cars for the last 25 years, using all sorts of cheap carriers, I even tried a rear mounted carrier ONCE, never again. The cheap carriers have always done the job but are fiddly to use, especially with the oversized tubes on the FS bikes.

However recently I’ve picked up some 2nd hand Thule wing bars and three 591’s and I won’t be going back, they look and work great.

superfli
    Free Member

We had a mix of both on our previous car. 532 on outsides and 591 on inside (as you can operate it lower down).
    Both as good as each other in terms of reliability and stability IMO.
    A mix of both allows you to clamp most bikes.
    When people say

100%, without a shadow of a doubt worth the extra

they havent used 532’s.

velocipede
    Free Member

Has to be 591’s – I run four of them on my car and find them great – previously had a Pendle towbar mounted rack and they are even better than that……I got a set of four on ebay for about £230 – if you search for Thule 591 x 4 or whatever, you’ll find all the deals…. 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You can get new 591s for £60 including postage, they are excellent and the only rack I’ll use now.

benp1

Superfli – I have mate. My mate has them and loading the bike on his rack was more hassle – it’s a stretch and it takes longer, plus the lock is higher

Check ebay prices, they’re just over £60 delivered

superfli
    Free Member

The 591s are good, but so are the 532s, just not as good. They are perfectly adequate at what they do, just slightly more awkward to adjust and clamp (you are talking seconds here).
    If you can, get a mix of both and cater for all bikes (well nearly!).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Thule: 532 or 591?’ is closed to new replies.