Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • *THUD*. Cranked Mountain Bike Magazine has arrived
  • nbt

YOu;re missing something – the incentive to sign up for a year’s subscription. My kickstarter subscription cost me £36 and gets me FIVE issues

130 pages. There are a few ads but not many.

Podge yes, it’s like privateer, but not run by rapha. AIUI Privateer was getting good feedback and finding its feet but Rapha pulled it so it looks like Seb (who was a contributor to Privateer remember) decided to fill the gap in the market, and hes done a splendid job.

Hora – yes, get one

thepodge
    Free Member

I didn’t realise Rapha were involved in Privateer

I’ve ordered my copy of this

sebcranked

Will Cranked be available in usual outlets – WH Smiths etc?

Short answer: no 🙂

Longer answer

bigblackshed

😳

Oh yeah………………

Walks away whistling, hoping no one noticed……,…,

🙄

tang
    Free Member

Got mine last Friday! Cheers Shaggy.
    Great mag which will appeal to men of a certain age, but the Chris Porter interview was about 8 (9 in total with pics) pages too long!

deluded
    Free Member

It’s quite weighty. Interesting articles that avoid being reheated tropes seen time and time again. The features are well laid-out and the photography is excellent, as you might have anticipated.

An impressive launch.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Mine arrived today.

So far so good, I had a quick flick through ti and it looks good. Hopefully it’ll be as good as Privateer was.

milky1980
    Free Member

Actually saw a copy of it sat in a customer’s staff room so had a cheeky flick through. Looks damn good so I’ve ordered a copy.

The 4 issues a year should keep it fresh 🙂

IdleJon

tang – Member
    Got mine last Friday! Cheers Shaggy.
    Great mag which will appeal to men of a certain age, but the Chris Porter interview was about 8 (9 in total with pics) pages too long

I thought it was the right length but a strange start to a brand new mag.

However, the 11 pages of portraits was 11 pages too long. I have no interest at all in looking at other peoples’ faces regardless of how far they have ridden.

Good mag so far though.

Bunnyhop

Now the question is where to pop the free stickers. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Now the question is where to pop the free stickers

how many free stickers for £12? 😉

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

No stickers for me, must have been a bad boy.

kimbers

Over a tenner and features fat biking in Peru, im not sure I’m the target demographic

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I done a 🙁 when I seen there was a fat biking article but thought they were some of the best pics I’ve seen in a while, not read the article but enjoyed the pics. I can forgive the fat bike, seemed like the the best bike for the job [shudder]!

Metasequoia

I liked the portraits; a good start; needs to build on this. I still
    don’t like e bikes! Keep going!

IdleJon

Just about to read the ebike article..

Small point – ‘bridleway’ spelled as ‘bridelway’ on the spine. That is very, very poor and would put me off buying the mag if I picked it up in a shop.

nickc

That is very, very poor and would put me off buying the mag if I picked it up in a shop.

Really? very very poor?

harsh audience

hora
    Free Member

That is very, very poor and would put me off buying the mag if I picked it up in a shop.

Hey they’ve got a fair fair fair way to go before they even got to the same country as Dirt on that score 😉 😀

sebcranked

No stickers for me, must have been a bad boy.

Sorry about that. Email me your address at seb at cranked dot c c and I’ll pop some in the post 😀

jameso

fat biking in Peru, im not sure I’m the target demographic

I done a when I seen there was a fat biking article

Surely content that’s different to our own sometimes small sphere of interest is good to read, it’s all bikes after all? A good article from the right perspective is worth the time to read. Bikes should just be the common link, the rest can be much more wide-ranging.

sebcranked

‘bridleway’ spelled as ‘bridelway’ on the spine

The Cranked team member responsible has been keel-hauled, given fifty lashes and put on short rations 🙄

Joking aside, we’re gutted. Most mags have the odd typo here and there – it’s just highly unfortunate that this appears on the spine. Lessons have been learned.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Surely content that’s different to our own sometimes small sphere of interest is good to read, it’s all bikes after all? A good article from the right perspective is worth the time to read. Bikes should just be the common link, the rest can be much more wide-ranging.

Thanks for the selective quote. Like I said I enjoyed the article, I seen in the email there was going to be a fat bike article and based on past ones I’ve seen and the spaffing on here I figured it’d be a bullshit beach ride or some niche attention seeker telling us how many grinz® he done ‘cos they’re so teh funziez.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Sorry about that. Email me your address at seb at cranked dot c c and I’ll pop some in the post

Ta!

IdleJon

nickc – Member

Really? very very poor?

harsh audience

I don’t think so. I wouldn’t buy a newspaper with the word ‘eleaction’on the front page. I wouldn’t spend a tenner on a book with spelling mistakes on the cover.

I think Seb gets it.

ninfan
    Free Member

More than made up for by the best and most detailed article on rights of way law and history I’ve read in a magazine ever.

kimbers

couldve been Bridalway

infact make it a feature

a misspelling on every spine

angeldust
    Free Member

Small point – ‘bridleway’ spelled as ‘bridelway’ on the spine. That is very, very poor and would put me off buying the mag if I picked it up in a shop.

I suggest getting out of the house more. You must be great fun at parties. 😀

nbt

It wouldn’t put me off buying the mag but it would make my heart sink if I were involved in the magazine (I’m not, I just know some of the people and am very impressed so far). As Seb says it’s inevtiable there will be typos., it’s just shame this is so prominent.

IdleJon

angeldust – Member
    I suggest getting out of the house more. You must be great fun at parties

What parties should I go to where I could get grumpy about spelling? 👿

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m obsessed by the money side, but Singletrack is £5.95 for 116 pages of good articles and great photographs.

How much better are the pictures / writing to justify being over twice the price?

I’m sensing that as this is issue 1 and many of the posts on here are from people who received it by post, then they must have known about its impending launch and possibly invested in the venture beforehand (i probably missed the earlier thread). Consequently no one on here will be judging it as if they had just spent their hard earned in WH Smiths. Was there some sort of incentive for signing up early to help with the launch?

kayla1
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, but please, please, please for the love of all things muddy and knobbly, keep it as ad-free as it is 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I’m planning my wedding, picked this up especially for the bridal way feature, disappointed

nbt

Can’t recall where I saw it first – possibly on facebook, maybe on here. It’s been mentioned on here certainly. There was a kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the startup, a five issue subscription cost me £36. That package sold out in about four hours. A four issue (annual) subscription now costs £40, for comparison.

the price difference is not just about the content, it’s also about the physical product. The paper is much better quality than STW mag (which itself is good quality in fairness, much better than many magazines)

rOcKeTdOg

The paper is much better quality than STW mag

does the quality of the paper make the words more interesting?

nbt

no, but it is indicative of the ethos. quality from start to finish*.

*Apart from the tagline on the spine. And the other typos 😀

sebcranked

please, please for the love of all things muddy and knobbly, keep it as ad-free as it is

Ads are pegged at 15% of pagination. If we sell more ads, we add more pages (this actually happened with issue one, but having started with 128 pages we’re not going back). We’re only limited by weight – we’re perilously close to the 750g ‘large letter’ weight limit imposed by Royal Mail.

Singletrack is £5.95 for 116 pages

if you don’t mind waiting, back issues are actually £1.27 (plus £1.78 postage) in the online shop.

sebcranked

I’m planning my wedding, picked this up especially for the bridal way feature

Tsk. We couldn’t even spell that right. Bridel. I dunno, you just can’t get the sub editors 😉

nbt

Is that the sub-ed that was sacked for the typo on facebook? 😆

sebcranked

Is that the sub-ed that was sacked for the typo on facebook?

Yeah, he’s outta here 😀

postierich
    Free Member

hope they have used decent font size I,m struggling with STW!! might give it a gander fat biking in Peru you say!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘*THUD*. Cranked Mountain Bike Magazine has arrived’ is closed to new replies.