Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • That Royal Marines advert.
  • zippykona

So the guy in the river comes across a bloke pointing a gun at him.
    Sure he’s got a lot of back up but that won’t stop him being shot ,so lowering his gun seems a bit silly.
    No doubt there’s people on here who know a lot more about it than I do.

taka
    Free Member

i never got why a white english looking guy would be in a jungle covered in mud with an AK47?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

De inemee kan spel. He winz.

😉

Seriously – I thought it was crap too. But its not targetted at me (the advertising that is).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

It reminds me of the film Southern Comfort.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I hate the way they make it look like you’re in a computer game. I bet the reality is pretty crap.

tazzymtb

zippy- how can you comment on anything, you posted that god awful musical equivalent of being forced to fellate a smug looking Robert Kilroy silk to a soundtrack of T’Pau. I can never forgive you that indiscretion and shall now mentally blank out anything you ever type again in case you cause mental scarring.

zippykona

Tazzy..does this help?

wrecker
    Free Member

I bet the reality is pretty crap.

Bang on. The jungle is gash.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and full of these bastards.

zippykona

The Marines advert in America shows you jumping out of the back of a helicopter and handing out food parcels to children.
    Then you drive off in your Humvee while goat herders wave at you.
    A lot more realistic me thinks.

inbred853

He’s a Marine fer **** sake, surprised he didn’t surrender 😉

mu3266
    Free Member

inbred, there were no soft matelots calling the shots this time 😉

chrismac

Why do these adverts never show anyone getting shot? It was being in the military is about isnt it?

TooTall
    Free Member

It was being in the military is about isnt it?

No. Shooting the other bloke and not getting shot yourself is what being in the military is all about.

🙄

obelix
    Free Member

Why do these adverts never show anyone getting shot? It was being in the military is about isnt it?

Ignorant much?

poly
    Free Member

“Sure he’s got a lot of back up but that won’t stop him being shot ,so lowering his gun seems a bit silly.”

not my area of knowledge – but is it not implying that being aggressive / confrontational is likely to get him shot by a panicy enemy with a twitchy trigger finger but ‘body language’ and trust in his mates to back him up might save his ass. No idea how realistic that is or if that is the message they trying to send.

johnellison
    Free Member

not my area of knowledge – but is it not implying that being aggressive / confrontational is likely to get him shot by a panicy enemy with a twitchy trigger finger but ‘body language’ and trust in his mates to back him up might save his ass.

^This. It’s called de-escalation – potentially it can throw an agressor off guard and buy vital seconds, either to come up with a cunning plan or for backup to arrive.

zippykona

If that’s how its done ^^ they are a lot braver than me.
    Surely the “baddie” is still in a position to fire at the back up so shooting him is best.
    Ps i run a gift shop so not really a qualified military strategist.

easygirl

Don’t run yourself down zippy
    Bet it can get scary in a gift shop during Xmas and sale periods 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

they make it look like you’re in a computer game

to appeal to future soldiers I suspect?

johnellison
    Free Member

If that’s how its done ^^ they are a lot braver than me.
    Surely the “baddie” is still in a position to fire at the back up so shooting him is best.

It’s a calculated risk. It might work, it might not.

One thing that the advert cannot get across is the emotions that both parties are feeling; neither does it explain why either party is in that situation in the first place.

How do we know that the “baddie” is potentially wanting to surrender, and his first reaction when faced with an armed professional is to panic slightly and offer (albeit limited) resistance/defiance as an act of bravado?

In the split second that he realises that said professional might not be “all bad” and that to offer continued resistance would be utterly futile, he backs down.

I know that US doctrine preaches the “Three D’s” – deterrence, de-escalation and disarmament, wherever possible. This potentially increases survivability and the likelihood of a peaceful outcome.

samuri
    Free Member

I had a question about that for the gun people actually.
    When he lowers his gun it drops into the water. Now my understanding was if your weapon got water in it, it totally messed it up. Now obviously a quick dunking probably won’t do it too much harm but what’s the deal?

The lucky thing is we seem to spend most of our time fighting people who live in deserts so the problem is more around sand.

wrecker
    Free Member

The idea is to keep your weapon dry whenever possible.
    Following “endurance” at Lympestone (the one with the smartie tubes and submerged tunnels) you go directly to the range to fire. You are permitted to pull the barrel through and do no more than that. All weapons (on my course) fired and I think we had the substandard A1 rather than the improved A2 L85.

Duffer
    Free Member

The advert in question is overtly suggesting that discipline and training will win the day. By rights, if you feel your life (or anyone elses, for that matter) is in danger, you are entitled to use the minimum possible force to defend yourself (which could be lethal force). The protagonist could legitimately have used force in this case, but chose not to.

I would suggest this advert is aimed at a slightly more educated audience than usual.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ignorant much?

Whose military forces are so bad they dont kill anyone?

They never show the arena of war as they want people to have simplistic views rather than the reality of it
    I doubt picking your mate up off the road in pieces as a an unknown/unseen enemy shoots at you is not the best recruitment poster….though I dont work in advertising [ nor run a gift shop]

I though the message was your mates will have your back

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I would suggest this advert is aimed at a slightly more educated audience than usual.

“By Strength and Guile”…

woody2000

[video]http://vimeo.com/7015914[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

“By Strength and Guile”…

I was told recently that that particular outfit (or at least some of it) were/have moved a little further afield from your neck of the woods.

pjm84
    Free Member

Cool… some sneakies on here?

Worked on their place and actually played there as well a few years beforehand. Benefit of being a rubber.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^ this is in code? Look out MI-5 might turn up 😐

CountZero

how can you comment on anything, you posted that god awful musical equivalent of being forced to fellate a smug looking Robert Kilroy silk to a soundtrack of T’Pau.

I don’t think Zippy’s ever going to be allowed to forget that! 😆

zippykona

My subliminal attempt at giving exposure to an up and coming singer didn’t really work too well.

D0NK

same reason you don’t suggest a lakeland epic to your mates by sending them a link to a 3hour video of someone pushing their bike up a hill

it might be called disincentivism

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I bet the reality is pretty crap.

Yup, not a place I want to go back to in a hurry… 😐

TooTall
    Free Member

The lucky thing is we seem to spend most of our time fighting people who live in deserts so the problem is more around sand.

However, most people live near the coast, so best we can do water and land in close proximity.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yup, not a place I want to go back to in a hurry…

Funny isnt it? I know a lot who loved it, I hated it – bloody wet all the time! Give me cold & dry anytime!

somouk
    Free Member

The idea is to keep your weapon dry whenever possible.
    Following “endurance” at Lympestone (the one with the smartie tubes and submerged tunnels) you go directly to the range to fire. You are permitted to pull the barrel through and do no more than that. All weapons (on my course) fired and I think we had the substandard A1 rather than the improved A2 L85.

That’s spot on. They make you pull the barrels through as the water expanding under the heat/pressure of the round down the barrel could make it bulge which isn’t great for it’s service life.

L85s generally need A LOT of oil on them to work reliably so most of the water that goes in would run out of the working parts etc. Some people also fit the shoot off caps to the end to stop huge glugs of water going in the barrel but the best approach is to keep it high and dry if at all possible.

TooTall
    Free Member

I know a lot who loved it

A friend of mine was the Chief Instructor in Belize for a while – he can’t get enough of it even today. He is as mad as a bucket of spiders tho.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

sure some love it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘That Royal Marines advert.’ is closed to new replies.