Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thru axles for QR dropouts – worth it?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m very behind the times (26″ wheels, 3×9 drivetrain etc. etc.) and still running QRs on both my frame and rigid carbon fork.

It’s been suggested that I could buy bolt thru end caps for my Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and use the DT Swiss 9mm (front) and 10mm (rear) Thru axles. Would this be something worth doing?

Also, how do you torque these ratchet jobbies up properly? With QRs I’ve always tensioned them so the the lever starts to meet resistant at about 50%; is there a similar rule of thumb for the ratchets?

warpcow
    Free Member

I’d say yes if it was a flexy old FS, as I did on an old Heckler, but probably not worth it otherwise.

shakers97
    Free Member

The main benefits are anti theft and a cleaner look. if you’re worried about the correct tension use a torque wrench.

cerberus
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll feel any difference after upgrade…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The main benefits are anti theft and a cleaner look

Not with the DT RWS skewers…

I have done that change.

The RWS skwers do stiffen things up a bit because they do up a lot tighter.

In fact they pulled the misaligned legs of some SIDs straight and therefore showed up their casting error, which the superstar 9mm skewers didn’t do.

For the back end it is probably only worth it if it is a flexy FS, as already stated.

For the front end probably with those forks.

And definitely better than Hope QRs as you know they are not going to come open on you.

iffoverload
    Free Member

the superstar or any clones with the QR levers are fine and not so fragile

and yes you will notice a difference on a qr fork in particular, assuming that the wheels are tensioned up.

Northwind

TBH it’s a very small difference, I did it with a set of 130mm QR Revelations and I did notice the difference but it wasn’t gamechanging or IMO worth spending money on.

Rear end depends more on the frame- I ended up going back to standard after a while, it wasn’t adding anything at all but on a less stiff frame maybe it’d be more worthwhile.

Different people care different amounts about flex but for me it was a bit of a waste of time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the superstar or any clones with the QR levers are fine and not so fragile

don’t compare to the RWS in my opinion, but still better than Hopes as they won’t come open

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thru axles for QR dropouts – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.