Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thru axles and front forks; help!
  • m1kea
    Free Member

People keep telling me I need thru axles (and clown wheels, but that’s another conversation) but I can’t get my head around the eleventyten different ‘standards’.

9mm QR – simple, job done
    15mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, QR thru axle, maxle? WTF?

Now I only have 9mm forks in my 3 bikes but one set of my Roval wheels has adapters for 20 and 25mm. 15mm thru axles appear to be popular when looking at XC forks so I’m presuming I’d need 15mm adapters for said wheels?

Is there a nice easy reference guide somewhere for all the different combos?

TIA

LoCo
    Free Member

Most of the manufacturers are speccing 15 axle for thru axle XC forks or Qr for 2013, so just fit the 15 spacers.

mactheknife

Yep, also if u get a wheelset with Hope pro2 evo hubs there are adapters for all types. I have 2 forks both 15mm and 20mm bolt through. Easiest thing in the world to change over.

Why do you want to change? Now i do like the more solid and direct feeling with bolt through but u really dont NEED it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Do they tell you any reason for you to ‘need’ a through axle? Just a proper gnar rider? 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

So what’s the difference between ‘bolt through’ and QR, when discussing these axles?

I do have a set of Hope Pro 2 but they’re pretty heavy and dead so don’t get much usage. T’other Rovals won’t take adapters nor will the Easton EA70s I recently got with a new bike.

I’ll have to email Spesh to see if they do 15mm adapters for the Traversees that came with 9, 20 and 25mm adapters.

nicko74

So what’s the difference between ‘bolt through’ and QR, when discussing these axles?

Broadly, one’s supposed to be quick release, generally with a cam, while the other actually involves bolts, of either the allen or hex variety.

In practice, though, the Maxle is designed to be a quick-ish release system, to give you the strength of a 20mm through-bolt in a package that you can actually access on the trail.

Personally I settled for a 9mm through-bolt. On a standard 9mm QR you’ll notice the actual ‘bolt’ is really skinny, and doesn’t fill the axle, hence can flex quite easily. 9mm through-axle, like RWS or Superstar’s versions, swaps that relatively skinny bolt for one that fills the dropouts – and is 9mm thick. It’s probably not as good at resisting twang as something 20mm or 15mm thick, but it’s a start, and it fits my existing forks.
    As for 20mm vs 15mm, it seems to be just a competing standards thing – Rockshox started with 20mm, Fox with 15, although I think they’ve kinda settled on 15mm now.

m1kea
    Free Member

legend
    Do they tell you any reason for you to ‘need’ a through axle? Just a proper gnar rider?

Stiffer, but laterally compliant, oh hang on…… 😉

Nicko, ta for the explanation and it has confirmed my suspicion that sticking with what I’ve been using since year dot is the easiest course here.

I’ve been eyeing up complete bikes and a lot have been speced with 15mm forks. – I don’t want ‘upgrade’ and loose backwards compatibility with my existing kit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thru axles and front forks; help!’ is closed to new replies.