Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 'three' sim only plans
  • sadexpunk

im looking at trying a cheapish sim to see what the data speed is like. presently happyish with giffgaff, its just the slow internet that bugs me a bit. looking at their site, id try the £13, 1 month contract, 1Gb data, 600 mins, all you can eat data. 1 month contract so i can bin it if its no better.

before i go ahead, i just wanted to ask if anyone understands the bit im about to copy and paste below. if i get the above data/mins/unlimited texts, then why are they splitting everything into ‘units’ at silly figures such as 0.074p per text for example? if theres unlimited texts then how can there be a cost per text?

Your plan includes allowances of voice, text and data units. You can convert each voice
    unit to one minute of a phone call, each text unit to one text sent, and each data unit
    to a specified amount of data. A unit means either one minute of calls, one text or one
    megabyte of data. To help you understand the value you’re getting from your plan, you’ll
    see a breakdown of the exact cost of the units included within your package’s allowances
    on page 2 of your monthly bill in the ‘Answering your questions’ section titled ‘About your
    allowance’s unit costs’. The total number of units each plan is comprised of is also set
    out on page 2 of this Price Guide. 1 unit = 1 minute, 1 text or 1MB of data (1GB of data is
    treated here as 1000 data units).
    An example of the unit costs for a tariff such as the 2GB Data, 600 Minute Plan is as
    follows: 3.070p per minute, 0.0.074p per text and 0.0.050p per megabyte. These aren’t
    charges for going over your allowance: these units are included in your plan. They also don’t
    include any one-off reductions, discounts or any Add-on allowances – the unit costs for
    Add-on allowances are shown in the table on page 6.

am i missing something or is it really as simple as the 1Gb data/600 mins/u/l texts?

thanks

jet26
    Free Member

Do the prices multiplied by the allowance not add up to the monthly cost so all straightforward?

I may have not explained that very well!

James

PS Virgin sim only also good – unlimited everything on 30 day contract is 16 quid a month.

prawny

My Three contract it pretty simple, can’t say I’d noticed that wording but I’m sure it must be there. Mine simply is 600 mins 5000 texts and unlimited internet, no crazy add ons or owt.

sadexpunk

Do the prices multiplied by the allowance not add up to the monthly cost so all straightforward?

cant see how it can if theres unlimited something?

PS Virgin sim only also good – unlimited everything on 30 day contract is 16 quid a month.

might look into that but wanted to stay as close to original tenner per month. do they allow tethering? (giffgaff and three do)

My Three contract it pretty simple, can’t say I’d noticed that wording but I’m sure it must be there. Mine simply is 600 mins 5000 texts and unlimited internet, no crazy add ons or owt.

how much is that per month and is it 1 month contract?

thanks

muggomagic

Isn’t it just saying that you’ll see that breakdown on your bill and for each unit used it’ll show how much value you’re getting from your plan?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I got a Three wifi dongle and it is fantastic. Much much faster than O2 / EE. I will be getting a Three sim only contract as soon as EE give me the unlock code for my iPhone (it’s been a month now and £20 paid and they are stalling stalling stalling, it should only take 3-4 days) I cannot get away soon enough

thecaptain
    Free Member

don’t ask me about the numbers, but three has worked well for me. Apart from the interminable cross-examination when I cancelled (even though I was actually swapping to a different three contract). But I think all of them are like that. The actual service has been good. I’ve had (in turn) a wifi dongle, monthly contract and now payg which i often get a monthly add-on for when I need mobile internet for a period of time. FWIW I can tether, its against the rules but it works.

sadexpunk

Want to use your data allowance as a personal hotspot?
    With these plans, we’re happy for your to use your plan allowance of data units as a personal
    hotspot (also known as tethering) within the UK, up to the limits set out in the Price Guide.
    This means you can connect your phone to other devices via USB or wirelessly to connect to
    the internet. Your data units or Add Personal Hotspot Add-on cannot be used in Feel At Home
    destinations.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yeah, with some plans tethering is fine, which is partly why I first started using them. But on payg, even with an add-on that allows unlimited internet, tethering is against their T&C but works.

“Our Pay As You Go plans don’t allow tethering. See our Pay As You Go Terms and Conditions for more information.”

prawny

Sorry for the reply, mine was a 2 year contract and it £20 pm with a galaxy s3, not long left now, and I’ll most likely be going sim only but staying with three, service has been very good.

PePPeR

I’ve got seven 3 sims 2 on contract, 5 on monthly contract, (got 5 kids, they love it, better faster Internet than all the other providers (we live in the country so 4G doesn’t count).

Unlimited internetz, my lad used 6gb last month with no strangulation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just went for the, I think, “One” plan. More minutes than I need, unlimited texts and internet, and unlimited tethering. It works pretty well most of the time. They’re the least shit of any networks I’ve tried, not that that’s saying much. I think there’s no such thing as literal unlimited though – everything seems to be subject to some kind of “fair use” policy. The only problem I’ve had with 3 is that when there’s no 3G, that’s it, there’s nothing – no GPRS to fall back on to even make a call. To be fair, it’s been an absolute breeze compared to the previous few years of hardly ever seeing 3G with Vodafone.

loddrik
    Free Member

Pay 15.90 a month with three. Data speeds are outstanding compared to giffgaff. Unlimited 4g, great coverage here in Liverpool. Even the 3G is about three times as fast as giffgaff was. Also looking forward to being able to use my phone as normal next time I go abroad too.

scruff9252

I am on the one plan with three. Essentially unlimited calls, texts, internet & tethering for £15 p/m. Also free roaming within Europe and when I buy a new phone I will be upgraded to 4g automatically and at no extra cost.

I often stream internet radio when at work, watch films on my tablet (not at work, but when travelling) so guzzle a lot of data and never been charged extra.

I cannot fault it.

sadexpunk

i googled the one plan but it looked like it was £23. id be very interested in whether £15 is still available for unlimited everything!!

in the end i rang em and ive gone for the 1 month contract, £13 per month for 600 mins, u/l texts and 1Gb data (can tether that if i so desire).

if that £23 jobby really is available tho im sure i could upgrade, altho i dont really use it any more than the £13 tariff limits anyway. would just be handy for unlimited tethering i spose.

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘'three' sim only plans’ is closed to new replies.