• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Three Peaks/Snowdon – Footwear.
  • willard

My little sister is planning on doing the three peaks this year and wants me to go do it with her. I don’t have a problem with this but, as the name of the game is fast, I have started thinking about what I should be wearing on my feet for both the training and the actual event.

Most of the other hillwalking I have done has been in boots, but as speed is the game here (and I’m not likely to be carrying weight like every time I’ve been up Pen-Y-Fan) I can see the advantages of going lightweight and trail shoe instead.

Would the more experienced forum-dwellers agree with this approach and, if so, recommend something like a Salomon Speedcross or Inov-8 Roclite, or should I be sticking to an issue boot?

globalti
    Free Member

I would go for a lightweight fabric mountain boot; my son has some for Duchess of Cambridge award and they are light, waterproof and comfortable – he didn’t have any blisters or discomfort from day 1.

jfletch
    Free Member

Depends donnit.

Are you going to run them fell running style? The some fell running shoes
    Are you going to walk them briskly? Then any hiking boots will do.
    Is it an excuse to by some sexy new kit? In that case a lighter weight hiking boot or running shoe depending on planned pace.

There will be snow at the top of Ben Nevis

None of the walks are particulalry taxing

willard

Well, the chance to buy shiny is always welcome, but I’m always tempted to go light and fast on these things. The only decent boots I have are my issue ones and they are not really decent. However, they are enough for everything I do with them. I’d rather not wear them for this unless I have to.

I know several people that do things like the Fan Dance in the light category that swear by Speedcross and was thinking about following their example here.

slowoldman

I would agree with fabric boots if you are moving quickly but not running – or stiffish approach shoes, though you won’t get any ankle support.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’ve not worn the speedcross but I think they would be ideal in the dry, in fact I think a shoe like that is ideal for almost all UK hill walking if the weather is good.

Only consideration is that when I did the 3 peaks it rained from the base of Ben Nevis to the car park of snowdon. I was grateful for my waterproof gore tex boots and gaiters.

Bear in mind that people are very unlikley to get to Wales and not attempt snowden because the weather is awful so you need to be prepared for all conditions.

But in the summer with nice weather you could do it in some Green Flash if you wanted to.

dragon
    Free Member

Depends how fast really. Done Munros in standard trainers, but hey offer no protection when you hit a rock. Thought i’d bust my toe after getting it wrong and hitting a rock running down Lochnagar. If it’s a little less quick (e.g. fast walk) then some Salomon X Ultra or XA Pro 3D would be perfect IMO.

globalti
    Free Member

What is this twaddle about ankle support? I’ve had all kinds of walking and climbing boots in my life and none has prevented me from turning over my ankles, frequently. The only boots that prevent this are ski boots.

slowoldman

Well we’ll have to disagree on that one.

martinhutch

Name of the game in 3 peaks isn’t speed, TBH. It’s not a race.

Ascending and descending SP in the dark makes it much easier to bodge a foot placement and knacker your ankle, so yes, I would go for one with a bit more ankle support, although it’s no guarantee.

PS. Don’t wake the up the locals at Wasdale Head or crap behind the walls in the village.

willard

Martin, damn right. When I was doing the driving for a team ten years ago I made a point of driving as quietly as I could through the village. By the time our lot got back down the place we were parked had become a circus though.

martinhutch

Are you sure you want to put yourself through all that mileage again?

andyfla
    Free Member

I spoke to some manufacturers a while back when I was in the industry and their main reason behind big boots was to not twist the ankle, although they all said that all it does is transfer the load onto you knees – so which do you like less ?

I have worn my haglof goretex shoes up everything you will encounter and whilst i own a pair of their boots I rarely wear them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Buy a faster car, then you can enjoy the walking?

jonba
    Free Member

Light weight boots would be good. I’ve had some berghause trail light gtx that were comfortable like trainers and much lighter than my full leather winter boots. Made such a difference. Spent ten days walking in Iceland and the same again in Ethiopia and they held up fine in proper mountain terrain.

I agree with globalti though there was a scientific study on it somewhere and the incidents of ankle injury was pretty similar in boots and trainers.

willard

My original plan was to take a week to do the three, staying in places with nice food and a good wine list and generally being relaxed about things, but my little sis wants to do the proper thing. The driving will be split between five of us too, so it should be ok.

Really considering a pair of Speedcross trainers now… Maybe the GTX ones, maybe not.

Spin
    Free Member

Here’s my 2 cents:

1. Think about whether you really want to do the three peaks: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/three-peaks-challenge-controlling-the-chaos-in-wasdale

2: If you’re used to boots then go with boots but fell running shoes of some description will be just fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Three Peaks/Snowdon – Footwear.’ is closed to new replies.