Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Three Peaks CX and pinch flats / tyre pressures / set up.
  • Spin
    Free Member

Obviously this is a bit late for this year but…

I’ve done it thrice and not flatted. I run Schwalbe Smart Sams with tubes at 85psi and weigh about 10.5 stones.

Who’s flatted or not flatted and what set up were you using? Also interested in those who have run tubeless.

Just curious really as I’m likely to stick with what has worked so far.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Landcruisers at 70psi – 80kg.

Didn’t have any issues. Can’t say I would have wanted 85psi especially at your weight!

Saw one bloke going up Simons Fell changing a tube, all I can think is that he had the pressure too high and it blew off the rim

Spin
    Free Member

Can’t say I would have wanted 85psi especially at your weight!

They’re rated to 85 and I’ve never had any problems with grip etc. I think now that if I went with less I’d get paranoid!

stever
    Free Member

Maxxis Locusts at around 80psi for me, 11.5st fully camelback-ed. Only things I’ve ever ridden after they were recommended. They are at least a cx tyre – don’t really get the Landcruiser thing, it’s become a sort of internet meme …other tyres are available. I’ll have to commit to something at some point because they’re wearing out and you can’t buy them any more. Good sized tubes are at least as important as tyres I reckon.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The only thing about land cruisers are that they are almost impossible to puncture with thick tubes and good pressure. most other tyres have too thin a sidewall to deflect impact punctures from the pointy rocks and water bars. They also roll quite well on the road, you don’t really need tread grip tbh for the peaks.

Paul Oldham road a dirt cheap Kenda tyre this weekend set up tubeless on Stans Alpha 400 rims at 60psi. he did flat it though on whernside however but gassed it up and it held 30psi. daren’t change bikes as the one he was riding was the lightest and had lowest gearing so went up and down pen y gent with 30 psi in his tyre.

Spin
    Free Member

up and down pen y gent with 30 psi in his tyre.

Maybe not an issue for sponsored riders but surely you risk dinging the rim running lower pressures on tubeless? edit – obviously he wasn’t at 30psi by choice.

boxelder

I’ve done it once on LCs and twice on Panaracer Cindercross, pumped up so you can just push them in a bit with your thumb. Always tubed on Open Pro rims.13.5-14 stone, riding the Whernside Flags etc.
    Was that the first sub 3hr time?

Spin
    Free Member

Was that the first sub 3hr time?

There have been a few.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

2hr 52 mins is course record.

jonba
    Free Member

WHatever cross tyres I’m running with thickish tubes at 60psi. Pressure is more important than tyre – as is not riding like a sack of potatoes and trying not to hit the big rocks at speed*. About 75kg kitted out.

*Both hard on Pen y gent when your knackered.

Edric64
    Free Member

I had a thorn through a Land cruiser this year but have never pinched one even with 16 stone on board .I totally get them you don’t need loads of grip as if its that boggy get off and run/walk

bikebouy
    Free Member

Griffo’s, 45psi rear, 40psi front… Lasted about 1.5hrs before disaster struck 🙄

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Schwalbe Smart Sam performance 35mm.
    60psi rear, 55 psi front
    Schwalbe 19a tubes (I think)
    64kg

No flats.
    Good grip, not too heavy, fast on the road – I’d recommend them.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

On the flipside, I tried smart sam’s once and punctured 3 times so guess it comes down to luck as much as anything.

Spin
    Free Member

guess it comes down to luck as much as anything.

That and riding style too I think.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

possibly. i’m always in a rush downhill trying to make up the time I’ve lost uphill. came unstuck this time though and wrote off a frame, crashed on Whernside and tore the head tube off it!

stever
    Free Member

…oof, I’m guessing that’s a DNF? 🙂
    I’ve just ridden back from dropping car at garage – bike sounds like a bag of spanners. New BB needed and rear mech out of sorts.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Three Peaks CX and pinch flats / tyre pressures / set up.’ is closed to new replies.