Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Three dead wild geese in a roadside ditch. Worth reporting?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Looked like they were shot and dumped. One greylag and two canada geese.
    Not sure why anyone would want to shoot them even if it is legal. Is it legal?

nealy
    Free Member

You know you want to

plop_pants
    Free Member

I think they were a little too ripe 😐

Drac

In season and can be shot, people shoot them for food.

bigjim

worth reporting anyway, seems weird to shoot them for the hell of it.

Drac

I’m not sure what you’re reporting?

plop_pants
    Free Member

OK they’re not a protected species. Still seems senseless to shoot then dump them.

Drac

True.

tang
    Free Member

I found 3 dumped geese also on the edge of some woodland near an access track. What’s the deal with dumping?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Any sugar beet nearby? Geese love it and it might be a farmer shooting them on it. Odd that they were dumped, as that’s quite a bit of meat that someone might want.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Wild goose meat is a little to tough for eating really.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I believe Canada geese taste fowl.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

What are you talking aboot?

MrSmith
    Free Member

worth reporting anyway, seems weird to shoot them for the hell of it.

Tell that to a farmer with a huge flock working it’s way through winter wheat or good grazing.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How did they die? Car strike? Or lead strike? acyually if shot by shotgun it should be anything but lead. Birds can be dozy.

Coyote
    Free Member

Rather than dumped maybe they were either surplus or, as MrSmith says, shot as vermin and left to the local ecology to deal with. You know, circle of life and all that.

nwallace
    Free Member

Conveniently sited in a ditch at the road side?
    Why have a dog retrieve if not wanting to hang onto them?
    Chances of having landed in the ditch seems low.
    Could have been put in the ditch out of general sight for picking up later if there was no storage butt/box nearby.

BurnBob
    Free Member

What’s would you report and who to exactly? I’m pretty sure they are effectively classed as vermin in that they cause destruction to farmers land/crops.

Scapegoat

Canadas are a pest species now, due to massive numbers, huge flocks eating and fouling grazing and leisure spaces. The meat on a Canada is tough and poor flavoured. Recipes for Canada involve stuffing the body cavity with a housebrick, then cooking in a low oven for 18 hours. Once the cooking time has elapsed, remove the goose and discard, serving the brick on a bed of roasted root vegetables.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Canadas are a pest species now, due to massive numbers, huge flocks eating and fouling grazing and leisure spaces. The meat on a Canada is tough and poor flavoured. Recipes for Canada involve stuffing the body cavity with a housebrick, then cooking in a low oven for 18 hours. Once the cooking time has elapsed, remove the goose and discard, serving the brick on a bed of roasted root vegetables.

hehehhe love it 🙂

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Just read that scapegoat quote to my wife, and even she laughed…

Scapegoat

I did have a similar recipe for grouse, involving a brace of hung grouse, a 2 stone sack of heather and a bottle of malt whisky….. 😀

orangina
    Free Member

If they were geese from Canada then they would be sleeping in the ditch, what with them being Jetlag and everything……

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Three dead wild geese in a roadside ditch. Worth reporting?’ is closed to new replies.