• This topic has 40 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Merak.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Merak

What an utterly excellent way to spend an afternoon. Francis McDormand was excellent.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I watched it a few weeks ago …woody harrelsons letter once he was dead had me pissing myself

Dickyboy

Just got back from the cinema – well worth the outing 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Poopscoop

mickmcd – Member
    I watched it a few weeks ago …woody harrelsons letter once he was dead had me pissing myself

Spoiler! Lol

carlos
    Free Member

Saw it last week. Thought it was Brilliant. Bit dark in places but bloody funny

Beer can/car scene made me wince and laugh out loud

Merak

Dentist scene for me!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Spoiler! Lol

What else would you expect from A BIG hitter?

sadexpunk

just seen it, thought it was superb. laugh out loud funny in places, bit sad in places, cracking film.

Spoiler:
    ……. dont like those endings tho…..
    pirahna
    Free Member

Saw it this evening. Best film I’ve watched in ages.

atlaz
    Free Member

Excellent film. Lots of interesting stuff to think about, truly touching moments, lots laughing out loud and some laughing at stuff you’re not entirely sure you should laugh at. Almost the entire cast did an amazing job (although I didn’t quite get what Abbie Cornish was doing in there, her Aussie accent sounded really bizarre in that context).

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Saw it this evening. Best film I’ve watched in ages.

Fabulous black comedy – cancer, rape and murder and you still come out with a feel good feeling.

Dickyboy

although I didn’t quite get what Abbie Cornish was doing in there, her Aussie accent sounded really bizarre in that context

+1 seemed very odd indeed

atlaz
    Free Member

I know the director has used her before so perhaps he has a few favourite actors. Obviously it worked fine with Sam Rockwell but perhaps not so much with Cornish. Her acting was fine, just the accent was jarring.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Saw it on Saturday afternoon- there are still bits of character and plot coming back to me to think upon.

So good to watch a film where each and every character is believably complex and fallible, understandable and has depth, even down to bit parts like the other policemen, the estranged father, the sign writers and the new boss with his pejorative term for white people- there are no heroes and no villans. Everyone’s motivations were entirely understandable if not entirely forgivable.

Hope that films like this will lead the way to a growth in more mature complex film making rather than the cardboard cutout heroes/heroines that dominate so many of our films at the moment, and ill serve the times in which we live.

tripsterpete
    Free Member

Absolutely amazing in every way

Wanted to watch it again immediately after it finished.

Entire audience laughing at black comedy. Cinema at its best

mahalo

Surprised how many posts before someone mentioned the ending, I hate stupid non conclusive endings. Let down an otherwise outstanding film.

johnners
    Free Member

I enjoyed it a lot while watching it but it’s less satisfactory looking back, there are a few bits of the plot and character development that don’t make a lot of sense to me. Frances and Woody are very good though and it’s still well worth going to see.

sofaking
    Free Member

loved it, except the non ending.
    I think we need to blame the Coen bros for the recent non ending endings we are now getting
    Some films it can work but now I just think directors and writers are taking the easy wayout

curto80
    Free Member

Superbly paced and acted, incredibly engaging, blurring the lines between good and bad, thought provoking on so many issues. Felt like i was there. Brilliant.

crankinirish
    Free Member

The bar scenes were shot in a bar in our town. It’s actually more of a shithole in real life than it looks in the movie. Great movie though.

rone

What? The ending was perfect and straddled the same moral tight rope that went before.

jonnyboi

Cracking movie, great plot and superb acting

wingnuts

Loved it. More tortoise action needed though. Wonderful touch.
    We went on Saturday and the reaction from everyone in the cinema was the same as ours. You could fell the buzz as we walked out. First film to may us really think for ages. Plot and character depth with great dark humour put over by great acting. Continued to maintain pace and not get sentimental until the very last minutes but I’m not sure how they could have resolved it without a complete moral u turn.

arrpee
    Free Member

Loved it.

Fans of hoofing-in-the-slats are in for a real treat.

I understand frustration at the ending to some extent: I realised what was going to happen with about 5 minutes to go, and felt something approach actual grief. However, by the time the credits rolled, it all made perfect sense. There are no neat resolutions, because life isn’t like that. Thematically, it’s totally consistent with the murder going unsolved.

However, embedded within that, you have the over-arching theme of struggling towards acceptance and forgiveness, as illustrated by Mildred and Jason’s truce.

I was also hugely impressed that they managed pull-off the seemingly impossible feat of improving a film featuring Frances McDormand – by throwing in Clarke Peters half way through!

DezB
    Free Member

With endings like that, my feeling is – that’s how the film ends. Obvious yeah, but that’s how the film maker wants to end it, so they want you to decide for yourself where it goes after that. And that’s fine by me. They’ve done their bit.

jonnyboi

I understand frustration at the ending to some extent: I realised what was going to happen with about 5 minutes to go, and felt something approach actual grief. However, by the time the credits rolled, it all made perfect sense. There are no neat resolutions, because life isn’t like that. Thematically, it’s totally consistent with the murder going unsolved.

However, embedded within that, you have the over-arching theme of struggling towards acceptance and forgiveness, as illustrated by Mildred and Jason’s truce.

Agree, you’ve summarised that perfectly

sadexpunk

i agree to some extent, id still have liked it to go just that bit further tho. it would have been better for me if theyd been umming and ahhing about it, maybe even decided not to, but then mildred would see that the bloke was the one from the shop earlier, then have another decision to make…..

rone

Thematically, it’s totally consistent with the murder going unsolved.

Absolutely.

And crucially neither of them are murderers in my book. It’s likely that it would defuse before they got to it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Saw it yesterday, very good but not brilliant. Sam Rockwell superb but a few to many character jumps. Woody Harleson had me saying no no no under my breath before he ….. (sounds of birds)

McDormand brilliant 7 out of 10 from me.

dmorts

There are no neat resolutions, because life isn’t like that.

I think that’s the point of the entire film, nothing turned out as you might expect

geetee1972
    Free Member

I saw it last night; it was every bit as brilliant as I was hoping it would be.

This film could have been made by the Cohen Brothers, which is not to take anything away from Martin McDonagh, far from it given that the Cohen Bros. are considered to be geniuses! But it definitely had that perfect balance of tragedy, pathos, simmering menace and tension and comedy. And of course, the ending is classic Cohen Bros. For a moment though, I did wonder wether the was going to bundle it’s way into a fourth act so was actually relieved when it ended where it did.

Pure class with sparkling performances from both McDormand and Rockwell. Cameo performance though has to go to Dixon’s biggoted mum.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

This film could have been made by the Cohen Brothers, which is not to take anything away from Martin McDonagh, far from it given that the Cohen Bros. are considered to be geniuses! But it definitely had that perfect balance of tragedy, pathos, simmering menace and tension and comedy. And of course, the ending is classic Cohen Bros. For a moment though, I did wonder wether the was going to bundle it’s way into a fourth act so was actually relieved when it ended where it did.

Saw it a few days ago with the girlfriend. Excellent piece of film making. I very much agree that it could of been a Coen Brothers film, had something a kin to their trademark black comedy and tragic drama and caused by ineptitude and character flaws.  Some brilliant actings and Ioved the ending. If it had been all wrapped up neatly I would of felt a little let down, honestly, given the tone of the rest of the film.

binners

Watched it last week and it’s the best film i’ve seen in years. Certainly lived up to the hype

if you watched it without knowing who made it, you’d just automatically assume it was a Coen Brothers film. And that can only ever be a good thing.

had that thing where you piss yourself laughing at some piece of dialogue, then stopping and thinking to yourself ‘its probably a bit wrong to be laughing at that’

brilliant!!!

anagallis_arvensis

I loved the way the two characters in the car at the end were passing each other going different ways in their redemption/whatever the opposite of redemption arcs by doing the same thing.

anagallis_arvensis

Townes Van Zandt too…couldnt be better

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Acting wise there were only two good actors – Woody and the mum.

Serious case of over acting by Sam (nasty copper) especially when he was saying ‘no it wasn’t my mama”.

Atrocius acting by the ex husband’s 19 year old gf. Really bad. A bit like the “once I was at band camp” but even less believable

Also cringeworthy acting by the game of thrones guy, especially the restaurant scene . Just bad.

The ending was trying to be very Coen but not quite believable that she would do it?

6.5 – saved by Woody and the mum.

shermer75
    Free Member

>Atrocius acting by the ex husband’s 19 year old gf. Really bad. A bit like the “once I was at band camp” but even less believable

I was under the impression that this was an intentional performance as it provided a lot of humour. I loved it actually.

anagallis_arvensis

“Serious case of over acting by Sam (nasty copper) especially when he was saying ‘no it wasn’t my mama”.

Atrocius acting by the ex husband’s 19 year old gf. Really bad. A bit like the “once I was at band camp” but even less believable”

I think you may have missed the point!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Plus a sex dwarf. First since In Bruges.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ is closed to new replies.