Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thred gone in stem what can I do ( helicoil )
  • ruffriders
    Free Member

My Thred in my sunline v one stem has gone as I’ve tightened the bolt too much. just wondering if it’s worth geting it looked at rather than spend another £60-70. Any idea wat I can dovand a idea of costs

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

thats a really bad idea. buy a new one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

A properly done helicoil in an aluminium base material will be stronger than the original thread. No reason why not if you can do it properly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Most things can be helicoiled, A kit is £20 – 30 or getting one done by an engineer / bike shop will be a similar amount.

Is it worth it for a stem? I doubt it.

sweepy
    Free Member

I drilled out a stripped stem thread and re tapped for the next size up bolt. I only really did it to try out a cheap set of tap and dies, so its had no real use, but appears fine.

andyl
    Free Member

Pretty sure I said this yesterday….

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-please-threading-gone-in-sunline-stem

Maybe take a picture of the front of the stem with no face plate on so we can see how much meat there is to drill into.

Oh and buy yourself a torque key (about £13 set to 5nm)

Northwind

You could get it helicoiled… Or, you could get a perfectly good new stem for much less than that. Pro, Gusset Staff, etc.

oxnop
    Free Member

I did the same yesterday on my 4 mth old v1. I’d just serviced 3 sets of forks and was fitting the last stem.

Defo not overtightened, was just nipping up (as I had done on the previous 2) never known this to haapen before.

coatesy
    Free Member

We’d normally charge a tenner to fit one helecoil, so worth shopping around and getting it done.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thred gone in stem what can I do ( helicoil )’ is closed to new replies.