Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Threadlock, wet or dry?
  • sodafarls
    Free Member

Just been wondering after reading another post…threadlock, say blue for example. Are you supposed to wait for it to dry after applying and then threading up, or thread it on wet? I ask as I did wait for it to dry once, and when threading on, it seemed to peel away from the bolt. Hmmm.

WTF
    Free Member

Wet usually but dry also as you get bolts pre threadlocked on occasion.
    Main criteria is clean and oil free parts so maybe this is where you are failing.

HTH

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Try Loctite 248 it comes in a tube like a Pritt glue stick. Its a waxy consistency so it doesnt spread everywhere like the liquid stuff does. It can be used next to bearings with no worry about it migrating into and locking up the bearing. It is medium strength so you can undo the thread.

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Loctite_248_Medium_strength_stick-825-p

sv

Loctite 243 on wet and tighten nut/bolt. The threadlock cures anaerobically within the thread, checkout loctite.com.

srrc
    Free Member

All normal ones wet.
    Don’t put too much on, on a typical bike nut & bolt (M6) one smear is plenty, and if there is lots of thread showing put it where the nut will end up.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’m using loctite 243 at the moment after having dribble issues with the liquid stuff. I didn’t know it cured anaerobically though, so that answers my question neatly 🙂

sodafarls
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’m using loctite 248 at the moment after having dribble issues with the liquid stuff. I didn’t know it cured anaerobically though, so that answers my question neatly 🙂

sodafarls
    Free Member

woah, editing dp…(and a message, “slow down , you’re moving too fast”) …that’s that second espresso that is.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive always found that screwing wet is far preferrable to screwing dry.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Threadlock, wet or dry?’ is closed to new replies.