Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Threadlock
  • sideshow
    Free Member

The brake and derailler bolts on mrs sideshows bikes keep coming loose. I’m guessing I should apply threadlock? Is all threadlock the same or is it made in different mixtures for different applications? If it’s different which stuff do I get? Cheers.

Simon

I use Loctite 243 for bike stuff

teamslug
    Free Member

same here…there are different strengths…its all to do with shear forces…http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-locking_fluid

sideshow
    Free Member

Doesn’t shear strength also depend on how much of the thread you cover with the stuff?

nickdavies

Get the blue chapstick for bike stuff, about £7 from halfords and none of that faff with the fluid.

neilwheel
    Free Member

As above 243 or medium strength, don’t use high strength.

JoeG
    Free Member

248 is the med strength chapstick and is what you want.

Northwind

The loctite pritt stick is really handy I find and goes a long long way.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Got some of the 248 pritt stick stuff recently and is a lot less messy and not as nasty as the higher strength stuff.

That said I find the top layer in the tube quickly sets hard and you have to break it off to use the next bit.

Also, it takes 24hrs to get to full strength, but generally not an issue.

chip
    Free Member

Use the Pritt stick stuff also, it’s just to stop bolts vibrating loose like a nylock nut rather than glue in place. have used marmite as a temporary fix in the past to great effect.

sideshow
    Free Member

Cheers. Do I need to use a weaker one for really small stuff e.g. disc rotor bolts?

andyl
    Free Member

nah, that one is fine for those.

Onzadog
    Free Member

All rotor bolts I’ve seen come with it pre installed.

scruff
    Free Member

Just use less. I once covered my rotor bolts before going to the alps, one wasn’t moving after, used so much force to undo it just snapped the head off and the threads where stuck in there forever and ever.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Threadlock’ is closed to new replies.