• This topic has 27 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Threadless JIS / 1" fork for old Kona Lavadome
  • Spin
    Free Member

I’m currently running the original P2 threaded fork on this but would like to replace it with a threadless one. I think the original fork might be JIS rather than 1″ but I’m not entirely sure. Ideally it would have lowrider mounts too.

Any suggestions?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“JIS” not 1″? There’s only ever been one 1″ std for (decent) mtbs AFAIK.

Spin
    Free Member

I may be getting mixed up with the fork from a hack I built for a mate which was JIS.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t know what JIS is for forks.

Spin
    Free Member

I think JIS is 25mm rather than 25.4mm which is 1″.

Thinking about it being a US brand it’s more likely to be 1″.

thepodge
    Free Member

My 92 Cindercone is 1-1/8. Would be surprised if yours is 1″ never mind some random Japanese standard

robdob
    Free Member

Some of the older lower range Konas had 1″ forks while their more expensive brothers converted to 1.125″

I have no idea why you would want to swap one of the best rigid forks ever made for something that won’t be as good, and won’t match and look weird. Stick with threaded, there’s nothing wrong with it.

robdob
    Free Member
    Spin
    Free Member

I have no idea why you would want to swap one of the best rigid forks ever made for something that won’t be as good, and won’t match and look weird

Mainly because it’s used as a tourer and a threadless is adjustable with allen keys and offers a wider range of stems.

It’s definitely not 1.125″

bencooper
    Free Member

My old Cindercone is 1″ – and it has the original Kona threaded headset which can be adjusted with just an Allen key. If you can find one of those then they’re a brilliant solution.

The JIS thing is about the crown race seat diameter – they’re all 1″ headsets (the steerers are all 1″).

robdob
    Free Member

But a quill stem is adjustable with one Allen key? And it can go up and down without removing or faffing with spacers!

zippykona

Lava dome was 1’8″.Hahanna was an inch.
    Edit. I could be wrong if it’s pre 93.

Spin
    Free Member

But a quill stem is adjustable with one Allen key?

But if the bearings loosen (and they do) you need big spanners to tighten them.

Suffice to say I’d like to replace the fork which we’ve now established is 1″.

Does anyone have any suggestions for such a fork?

bobgarrod
    Free Member

depends on crown to axle heights – probably fairly short on these. If you can measure or find out what it is – these could be viable http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=82&.

I’m sure that retrobike would be able to tell you the height.

Spin
    Free Member

Here’s where my JIS confusion came from: Seems I’ve been here before… except last time it was a headset rather than a fork I was after.

Thanks bencooper for clearing up the JIS thing for me.

robdob
    Free Member

But if the bearings loosen (and they do) you need big spanners

Not if you tighten them up properly. You can always get a headlock for extra peace of mind.

Does it still have the original Impact headset on it?

thepodge
    Free Member

Robdob, leave him alone. I’m planning on replacing my threaded P2 forks but with threadless P2 ones. is that acceptable in your world?

robdob
    Free Member

Just trying to save hassle and more money!

thenorthwind

carboncycles.cc do a 1″ threadless rigid carbon fork with disc mounts. You might be smited by the STW gods if you put the two together though.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m really drawing a blank on this. I found that Kona did a run of 1″ threadless P2s a few years ago but they’re all sold out.

There are carbon ones available but it wouldn’t really suit as I will be touring with front panniers.

It’s looking like I will either need to get a fork built (expensive but deals with the aesthetic issue) or (god forbid!) take robdob’s advice. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

A new frame would probably be cheaper than custom forks

Spin
    Free Member

Does it still have the original Impact headset on it?

It has the original headset but it’s looking pretty sorry for itself. I’m running it with a quill to threadless adaptor which just feels like a bodge.

That said, this set up has done over 2 months worth of loaded touring and some fairly gnarly off road too so perhaps I should just leave as is.

The frame is a 1990 model which I’ve had from new. It sat in the loft for a while before I built it up as a tourer for a trip to Canada in 2010 and it has proved to be excellent in that role. The only original bits are the forks, headset and seatpost I even earned my living (barely) on that bike as a courier in the mid 90’s so it owes me nothing!.

nedrapier

ebay or classifieds on here? I picked up a 1″ threadless P2 off here earlier this year (you can’t have it, sorry!)

Spin
    Free Member

A new frame would probably be cheaper than custom forks

I’m emotionally attached to it I’m afraid.

thepodge
    Free Member

ebay had loads of 1″ NOS forks when I looked at this kind of thing

robdob
    Free Member

or (god forbid!) take robdob’s advice.

No offence taken……… 😉

The Impact headset is one of the best headsets ever made IMHO. My 94 Kilauea has its original headset in, now 21 years old and reinstalled after I completely restored the bike….

I’ve been on Retrobike a few years and the 1″ threadless fork issue is common, they are so rare…..

Anyway, if you have a problem with the headset loosening or you want a new headset and a more practical way of adjusting/tightening it try one of these:

http://www.abundantadventures.com/quads.html#HEADLOCK

If you email the bloke he is very helpful with shipping. You might get one on ebay or RetroBike too.

My Kilauea was recently pressed into touring duties too….

Spin
    Free Member

Here’s mine in MTB mode in Vermont after a months touring in Newfoundland.

[/url]P5170154 by happycrenker, on Flickr[/img]

and more recently, bound for the Pyrenees:

[/url]kona by happycrenker, on Flickr[/img]

Spin
    Free Member

Dave Yates will convert the existing fork to threadless for £80. This now seems like a lot of hassle when the existing set up is working but it’s certainly an option.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Threadless JIS / 1" fork for old Kona Lavadome’ is closed to new replies.