• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Thoughts? (the most tricked out 2004 Enduro you'll ever see)
  • jhw
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Specialized-Enduro-Pro-Custom-Fox-36-DHX-5-Hope-M4-/190513074834?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c5b76d292

Full on Alps kit – Hope M4s with 200mm discs, Fox DHX 5.0, Fox 160mm forks, E13 – bolted to a 2004 Enduro frame.

Words fail me. It’s just a little bit of a strange setup.

peterfile
    Free Member

I dunno, it’s an M4 frame, presuming the previous owner like the geo/ride, then why not upgrade to that spec?

Suppose it really depends whether he/she just liked buying nice parts, but couldn’t really afford a new frame, or whether they set it up to ride just how they liked it.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I don’t understand the question.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its not M4, its an A1 premium frame. Only the S-Works had any M4 in them IIRC.
    My 2004 Pro is similarly fully upgraded, but more general XC stuff. 140mm Float 32s, RP3, XT drivetrain, XT disc (203mm front, 180mm rear). Works well on all days rides without being too heavy?
    Not sure the warranty would hold for 160mm forks.
    Why would words fail you jhw? You seem to have issues with people owning and enjoying clamshell enduros, seemingly thinking they’ll fold in half because the new ones are better built and won’t fail, but older ones will somehow.

The way I see it, its the owner progative to build their bikes how they see fit, who are you to judge?

Keef
    Free Member

each to there own,init.

not my cup of chai,btw,but hey-ho……

Gary_C

I’m more than surprised that the piggy-back is still attatched to the shock, surely it must hit the frame at full compression?

jhw
    Free Member

Not doing the owner down, it’s a very nice setup. Just triggers curiosity on my part.

Why not just buy a new one? The cost of the aftermarket shock forks and brakes alone would justify it.

I can see the logic in 140mm on that, I bet it rides nice.

mrplow
    Free Member

Might have bought the parts 2nd hand. Was enjoying the lifetime warranty of the frame knowing if it snapped he would be sorted with a newie. Hasnt burst the stays and the coil with linear rate is probably easier on them than the shorter travel air shock original.

What is the issue again?

jhw
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d love to know how it actually rides.

It just looks funny: a little frame juxtaposed against such a chunky shock, massive forks and wheels.

Like a tank powered by a lawnmower engine.

mrplow
    Free Member

The thing I wonder is about the increased rear travel. I have an 06 enduro and use a coil on it making it 165mm compared to standard 150. The bike feels like it rides very well like this but will the wheel path not be really forward for that final travel (shock is same eye to eye with longer stroke), the bike gets hell of a short if you cycle it with no spring in. Being a 4 bar maybe it is not too forward to normal.

Is this a good or bad thing? I don’t know but the bike seems to work as lands very well off of drops etc.

Nothing like internet engineering… 🙂

Stuuey

I’ve never had the bottle to replace the brain on mine and was told by mojo that RPL was the limit as an RP23 would hit the frame. So seeing the DHX was a shock, coil would be nice tho.
    My frame still has the original warning sticker about not using a fork with more than 120mm of travel, thought that was just a geo thing and the fact that axle to crown lengths have dropped on large forks since 2004. I’ve got a 140mm fork with 69° head angle which is about per manufacturer specifications.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

You asked for thoughts.

I thought that that was the best Enduro they built, I cannot comment on the last few years though.

I’d love it in my stable and would use it on my two local big up and down hills (Drum and Snowdon).

bigyinn
    Free Member

@ Stuuey, I presume you’re talking about the propedal lever hitting the frame?
    This was a concern when I bought my RP3, but its fine in all 3 positions.

takisawa2

I ran an 04′ SWorks for a few years. Ace bike. More than capable. Ran mine with Pikes at 140mm. BETD used to do a 6″ conversion linkage.

kwack
    Free Member

I had a 36rc2 talas and dhx5 air on mine and it rode fine now swapped bits over to a pitch

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I defo would bung a betd link on it.

The S-works frame in 2004 used M5 not M4 but only on the down tube, the rest is A1 so they are almost the same frame.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2004&spid=21119&menuItemId=0

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve run a 2004 Enduro since new.

160mm forks and a DHX air are really a non starter, the frame is warrantied to 130mm forks and air shocks of the correct eye to eye only. For the cost of all the kit, you might as well buy a decent secondhand 6″ frame which was designed to do it all justice. The 2004 Enduro is too steep and flexy really.

Stuuey

@bigyinn that’s what I understood. Thanks for the info. Still think brain would be better than pro-pedal but heavier 🙁

Some of the guys one here put the betd link on but also had to modify something, think it was the shock??

ampthill

Still way more sense than the Fuel ex I saw in ebay with XTR and Boxers!

jhw
    Free Member

160mm forks and a DHX air are really a non starter, the frame is warrantied to 130mm forks and air shocks of the correct eye to eye only. For the cost of all the kit, you might as well buy a decent secondhand 6″ frame which was designed to do it all justice. The 2004 Enduro is too steep and flexy really.

Agree 110%

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts? (the most tricked out 2004 Enduro you'll ever see)’ is closed to new replies.