Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • thoughts on which headphones to ride with
  • bobbyspangles

i am always finding that the headphones i have tried-sennhieser pmx70s' and apples own but maybe its me ears ,as the headphones, they keep falling out!
    i would like a pair that i can pop in and leave, preferably non bud type but i quite the bud type with ear hoops.

any thoughts?

ourmaninthenorth

Er, I'm struggling to translate that.

I think you're looking for headphones which aren't earbuds, but which stay in just like earbuds. Yes?

Whatever, I just use some cheap earbuds with the wire looped over my ear.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Sennhieser CX300. These are ear canal ones and I find they stay in much better than the other ear bid ones. £15 from play.com

njee20
    Free Member

Second CX300s, they're really good, made me realise how absoultely shocking the Apple headphones are (cue some expert coming along to point out how the CX300s are still a really cheap pair of headphones!). Although my ears are different sizes, I have the small bud in one ear and the medium in the other. Strange.

bobbyspangles

the quality looks good from the stats, but do they not keep falling out over long rides? maybe i should try anti perspirant in my lugholes? 🙂

verses

Fat Cyclist recommends these, I assume they're available in the UK;
    http://www.fatcyclist.com/2009/06/16/how-to-listen-to-rock-and-roll-whilst-riding-a-bike/

njee20
    Free Member

They also make you look like a total cock, and put your iPod in the way of all the crap!

I use a 2G iPod Shuffle (agree with fat cyclist on that, it's the best on-bike MP3 player I've come across), but stick it on your bib straps. If you don't wear bibs then you need to start, not least so you can attach your MP3 player.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i use sony ear canal ones, mine used to fall out all the time but i changed to the smaller in ear rubber bits and the stay in better. sennheiser/denon ear canal ones have a textured finish which may help although denon ones would whistle in the wind as they have a port on the back

bobbyspangles

wearing bibs-check.

those arriva headphones look good but 2 things-i quite like a good sound and wind noise is always an issue when riding. i tried bigger cans but they just get hot.

alpin
    Free Member

if you've an ipod shuffle you may find you can attach it to the rear strap on your helmet.

organic355
    Free Member

[quotethoughts on which headphones to ride with[/quote]

Call me Victor, but I hope you mean for offroad or cyclepath use. Riding with headphones on the roads is suicide!!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Riding with headphones on the roads is suicide

really?

i'm not dead yet

AndyP
    Free Member

really?

i'm not dead yet

yes you are, and so am I. It's just our ghosts haunting the forum. Mind, being ethereal, I can stand all day in the Uni sports centre girls' showers enjoying the view. Hurrah for riding with headphones on the road.

njee20
    Free Member

Riding with headphones on the roads is suicide!!

Why? Why is it suicide? No one's ever been able to explain this in a sensible fashion. Is it because you can't hear traffic (which I find I can anyway)? How do you tell the difference between the sound of a car which is going to overtake you and one which will mow you down? Should I be mounting the verge every time a car comes? I think progress would be rather slow unless you live in Australian Outback!

I've ridden thousands of miles on the road wearing headphones, I've had two altercations with cars, one I rode into the side of as it turned across me, and one who clipped me overtaking. In both cases I was listening to music, and in neither case did I think 'I could've avoided that had I not been listening to music'. Ridiculous perspective.

I'm done.

MrAgreeable

And hurrah for AndyP, class post. I don't normally ride on the road with headphones in, as I'm used to hearing cars and responding accordingly, but if you take extra care then I don't see why not. After all, it's not like car drivers can hear everything that goes on around them.

Sennheiser CX300s here, excellent headphone for the money. £14 from Amazon. One thing I do find a bit weird with them is way that, although external sounds are cut out, any noise through your body is amplified. So footsteps on the pavement, bumps in the road, or anything tapping against the cable become much more audible. Apart from that they're ideal.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the better sennheisers come with a wee clip to attach the cable to something, this helps keep vibrations from being carried up the cable.

a bit of tape works just as well

CountZero

I've used the CX300's, but the new Denon AH-C252's are astonishingly good, and they're only £25! Brilliant sound, makes it seem pointless buying anything more expensive, plus they sit in your ears really well, because the bud part is angled inwards.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i bought some Denon C551s recently and they are amazing, too heavy (and expensive) for cycling though and they have a hole right in the back which picks up wind noise real bad. Most comfortable listening headphones i've ever owned though. those 252s look good.

footstomper
    Free Member

Cheap CX300s

I have the same problem with ear pieces falling out, so after seeing the CX300s recommended I have just purchsed some from the link above £9.99 free post 😛

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

every pair of 'too good to be true' priced sennheisers i have bough (even through Amazon) have been fake.

beware

barca
    Free Member

I knew it wouldn't be long before somebody popped up with the "You shouldn't wear earphones" line.
    Due to an industrial injury I'm partially deaf and will, in a not great length of time, be profoundly deaf. Does this mean I shouldn't be riding my bicycle on the road?

IanMunro
    Free Member

No, it just means you're less aware of what's happening around you.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your onset of deafness btw.

FuzzyWuzzy

I prefer not hearing all the ghosts, zombies, wolves and vampire bats stalking me on night-time road rides so always wear earphones.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I like em as well for the same reason 🙂

adlyhobart
    Free Member

anything by grado is the way. dont dare take my rs1`s out though just incase

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘thoughts on which headphones to ride with’ is closed to new replies.