Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Thoughts on Ti hardtails
  • A steel frame can also look as good in 10 years time as it does now as a new powder coat is relatively inexpensive and can make an old frame look as good as new again.

jfeb
    Free Member

How many of us really have frames for 10 years any way?

ChrisS
    Free Member

It’s funny, I had a steel on-one 29er, just the standard SS build with rigid forks, loved it, cheap, cheerful, amazed by what the big wheels meant you could do with rigid forks. Upgraded to the Ti version, swapped all the bits over then was kind of underwhelmed, it felt like the sluggish tyres and rigid forks were holding the frame back in a way that I never noticed with the steel version. Now swapped the tyres for faster rolling WTB prowlers and put a second hand set of fox G2 29er forks on the front and it’s amazing, sooo fast, remarkably agile and yet sooo comfortable, a veritable rocket powered flying carpet of a bike (can you tell I like it!).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    forge197
    Free Member

I love comments like this "Steel is for people who can’t afford titanium. Aluminium is for beer cans." 🙄

nicko74

I ride a Cotic Soda, and love it. It does need more work to pick a line, and it’s probably more tiring than a FS when you’re knackered and just want to sit down over the bumpy stuff, but at the same time I think it’s more involving because you can’t just bulldoze through without feeling the bumps underneath.
    Personally I’m a lazy get, and live in a 3rd floor flat, so maintenance isn’t really my thing, and it ticks that box too. Formula Oro brakes, RS Revs and Gore Rideon cables are all great – all I do is put a bit of chainlube on and I’m ready to go! 🙂

Norton
    Free Member

I owned a Dean Scout for a couple of years. Beautifully made and lovely to look at but to be honest nothing to justify the price tag in terms of ride quality.

I’d go for high end steel every time.

flange
    Free Member

I ride a Morning Glory (fnarr) swapped for my Turner 5-spot with a chap off of here.

I found that full sus was great for riding fast but took some of the fun out of it – I live in Suffolk so don’t get to do a massive amount of MTB so when I do I like it to be challenging. If I rode in the Stanes every day it might be different.

I got a titanium frame mainly because I like a bit of bling. However its light enough without loosing strength and feels much nicer than Alu.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

I scratched my itch

the_pilot
    Free Member

I’ve scratched my Titanium too, but with a bit of scotchbrite/wire wool/metal polish, it pretty much all comes good again.

Get a s/h frame, try it, if you don’t get it move it on…. I think the summary of the posts on here is pretty much my experience, you just don’t know if you will like it and all the bits bolted to it make a helluva difference, and it is a very personal thing

LardLover
    Free Member

Following on from the_pilot, I bought a 2nd hand Ti frame, a Moots, as I had never tried Ti and was Ti-curious, and it came up for sale just as I had a wad burning a hole in my savings account. Needless to say after a few months the headtube split and cost me a sh1t load of cash to have repaired. Which is now why I have gne back to a nice steel hardtail.

and now have a bad back and am “thinking” about FS 🙁

hora
    Free Member

I recently read in mbr or mbuk(?) a comment that they seem to ‘peel open’ alot of ti frames.

hora
    Free Member

Ps. Put a brown Spoon saddle on a ti frame.

Stunning [FACT]

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

i had a titanium frame last year that i used for XC racing, loved it, had to sell it though, would love to replace it, but considering a steel frame until i can, something like an 853 tubed genesis altitude, but worried about the weight, as my ti was sooooo light.

Coasting
    Free Member

I cant think of a more overated material.Other than its ability to look good for a long time and the smug value i really havnt fallen in love with the three ive owned.Ive just sold a Lynskey,owned a Litespeed and Cove and am now riding a Cotic Soul which i think is a far superior frame.Just an opinion.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Have to say that the thought of owning a Moots was better than the real thing. It was all a bit underwhelming TBH

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Ti hardtails’ is closed to new replies.