Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thoughts on Stumpy Evo Sizing
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sorry for a dull what size thread but I’m struggling to get a seat on the sizes I want to check for myself and I know there are lots of Stumpy Evo owners on the forum.
    I’m 6’1″, I test rode a L 29er FSR Evo and while the reach felt good, it had a 90mm stem on it which is way longer than I would want to ride. I’m wondering if the XL would be the better size with a 50mm stem on it. Problem is no local shop has any in stock and Specialized UK are out of stock so can’t order any in, so if I want the XL I’ll need to buy mail order without sitting on one first.
    The official sizing chart has me at the top end of the large, but given specialized spec such long stems on the bikes I’m concerned it will be too short unless I go XL. Based on the reach numbers of this bike versus my current one (which is too short) I’m thinking XL but worried it might feel v large overall (wheelbase in particular, 1211mm).

Overall I really wish Specialized had tweaked to this new school long front centre, short back end geometry as it would get me what I want without compromising wheelbase!

Any experiences of similar size riders, what you on?

mattrgee
    Free Member

I’m also 6’1″ and got a large, it feels spot on. I’ve struggled with bikes which were too short in the past but this one feels absolulety fine. I went to a specialized concept store to try the bike and took the advice of the staff when choosing the size, that was at the Fort Dunlop store in Brum.

br
    Free Member

Overall I really wish Specialized had tweaked to this new school long front centre, short back end geometry as it would get me what I want without compromising wheelbase!

I’ve looked at a number of bikes, I’m a bit taller than you – and if they don’t fit, they don’t fit.

Other manufacturers are available…

I also wouldn’t worry about wheelbase of a bigger frame but the height of the seatpost and the ability to drop a post far enough down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I also wouldn’t worry about wheelbase of a bigger frame but the height of the seatpost and the ability to drop a post far enough down.

No worries there, one of the reasons the Stumpy was on the shortlist in the first place was the good standover. And you’re right, if it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t fit, but at the moment I guess I’m not sure if it does or not, and particularly difficult to tell when you can’t ride everything in anger!

shortcut

I’m 6’2 and on a large.

Loving it.

Euro
    Free Member

Haven’t rode the 29 version but if it’s anything as nice as it’s little uncle then you’re in for a treat.

if it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t fit,

I ‘m 6’5″ and ride a large 26″. Most folk my size would be on an XL but i bought it second hand and at the time there weren’t any about. A couple of riding buddies your height also ride large 26. Size is pretty much perfect.

Being a size too small hasn’t proved to be a problem on the kind of riding that warrants a better fitting frame and a wee bike is much funner on the way down imo. For a mountain bike i think if you fall between sizes then you should always go for the smaller size. It’s has to be better to the overall ride to size up with the components than size down. With a 50mm stem and 750mm bars it works very well on all day rides – probably because the bike climbs so eagerly to being with. If i was heading out for a day in the hills i’d sometimes stick a 70mm stem on, but I recently moved the seat back on the rails about 10mm instead. Steering was still good so the only real difference was my undercarriage going numb after a few hours of seated riding. Should really move it back.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’m also 6’1″ and thought the Large was plenty roomy enough for my taste. Also the 2015 Large Stumpy Evo’s come with a 75 mm stem. The XL has a 90 mm. Maybe you have longer arms? I never even gave the XL a moment’s thought.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m not perfectly proportioned Moshimonster! Legs are a bit shorter than average, so main concern is the reach for my longer torso.
    I think also the thoughts on the XL are coming from the bike I’m comparing it to- Transition Smuggler which has the same reach as the XL stumpy but around a much shorter stem.

servo
    Free Member

I got a 2015 Camber Expert Evo a few weeks ago. It actually came with a shorter stem (70mm) rather than the 90mm listed on the website.

devash
    Free Member

I’d definitely put you on a large. Specialized bikes size up long and low so you’ll still get a good stretch even with a short stem.

The XL would be way too big. I ride an older 26″ Camber (same geo as some of the older Stumpjumpers) in large and at just under 6ft its a little on the big side for me.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Thanks all, good advice. Pretty clear on what others are running so very useful.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Im just over 6′ 1″ and i rode a large with a 45mm stem. Felt good, the top tube is nice and long so always felt really balanced and planted.

I loved it until i broke most things on it and lost confidence in it. Cracked seat and chain stays etc..

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sounds like you maybe got unlucky Phil? Certainly it doesn’t seem to be the norm for these to be cracking. And if they do, that’s what warranties are for, I hope!!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Phil – that’s a bit of a worry! Were you just riding along or competing at the Red Bull Rampage? I know some guys who are very hard on their bikes and tend to suffer cracked stays etc. But then they are pushing their bikes to the limit i.e. taking big jumps and drops and I mean big. Lightweight trail bikes can only take so much.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

In case anyone is interested, or it is useful to others in the future, I actually managed to track down an XL 650b Stumpy Evo to take a spin round the local streets today. The geometry is pretty much the same as the 29er but with a lower stack height on account of the smaller wheels.

The XL wasn’t bad, and in terms of actual seating and standing position it was the more comfortable bike of the two, with a shorter stem even more so. With the frame being so low slung there was also acres of standover on the bike, it felt really nice and low. However what did put me off was the wheelbase on the XL bike, it felt really cumbersome to throw about and turn tight, ok it was only on the street and at best chucking it around on some lumps and bumps in the local park, but it was enough that I feel it would be a handful in the tight stuff. Overall I think I’m perhaps decided I just can’t get the Stumpy to work for me size wise, what I really need is the XL seating position with the L wheelbase. So on to plan B & C, which would either be an Enduro or the new Transition Smuggler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Stumpy Evo Sizing’ is closed to new replies.