Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Thoughts on Solaris / Salsa Spearfish
  • chrisps
    Free Member

Heya,

I bought a 456Ti off the classifieds here last year as my first hardtail (yeah, yeah, I know!) after normally riding longer travel full sus’ers.

Built it up with spares I had lying around to see if I liked having an HT, with an eye to then getting a Cotic Solaris.

I really like it and to be honest, my full sus generally only gets used on bigger trips now, with the 456 used for everything from local downhill to small bikepacking trips.

However, I do find that on rocky ground, its dreadful at sapping energy as its wheels bump and catch on the terrain (the Forest of Dean this winter being a good example).

So, I am wondering how much “better” in this regard the Solaris will be. I also have always had a soft spot for the Salsa Spearfish. You can get them a bit reduced, frame only at the minute and I am wondering if a Spearfish would be better for long XC / bikepacking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

zippykona

There’s always a cheap Spearfish frame going on here.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I had a Solaris. It handled the Rangers Path going down in Snowdon no problem and at the bottom I felt fine. Also took it to Bike Park Wales and had fun there too on it. I would look at getting the newer version now though. I was running 120mm. The Spearfish is lovely too. Dilemma! 😀

STATO
    Free Member

I have a spearfish. It’s great for bike packing obviously, and its a good quick xc bike. There are times when you think it might be out of its depth but then you ride it and it copes well with anything. Having said that I’m thinking of swapping to a new camber as I want a bike for bigger days but already have a dh bike and an enduro bike makes nonsense for my local riding.

jonnyrockymountain

As title very good condition, size 16″ salsa spearfish frame, (ideal for 5’6″- 5’10”) comes complete with hope headset, salsa q/r seatpost clamp, BB30 FSA carbon K force light 2×10 cranks running 27,39 rings, and sram BB30 bottom bracket with brand new bearings,(receipt to prove) the rear shock is a 4 month old 2015 rockshox monarch RT3, which has had about 5 rides
    The frame is in very good condition with hardly a mark on it, this is due to very minimal usage, chainstays perfect as you will see (which is generally a good guide to how much use)
    I’am wanting £475 posted or £450 collected (Huddersfield) for the lot, which I think is a bargin as the carbon cranks retail around the £400 mark alone!! email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk
    Ps for an extra £30 I can include X9 2×10 front mech and shifter

If this is any good for you I can forward you loads of pics?

NormalMan

I know there are a fair few Solaris owners over on bear bones bikepacking site. I think some of them post here so they should be able to help. If not, ask overy there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Another HT albeit a 29er will feel slightly but not hugely different on bumpy terrain IME.

weeksy

I have what’s a pretty close comparison for you in the garage

Salsa Spearfish
    Charge Cooker

Both great bikes, but totally different. The Charge is a little longer on the TT in feel. But when it comes to comfort there’s really no comparison between the 2, the Fish is effortless and you barely notice any of the stones that you do on the Charge. The times on Strava are VERY close… but overall, on the Fish I’m quicker over a 20km ride by about 1min on average. The downs make it a bit quicker, the flats are almost identical, the ups, the Charge wins by a very small figure.

the only downside really to the Fish is the Pressfit BB30 bottom bracket which is the weak point.

If I had to sell one… it would be the Charge.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

My brother has a Spearfish in the best colour, lambo orange after spotting it as complete build and telling him to shift his ass and just buy it, he did and is thankful every time we got out riding.

It really is a flattering ride and always a pleasure.
    Best fast short travel 29er full suss frame that I’m aware of.

yeah there is always a certain spearfish in the classifieds that is repeatedly advertised at any given chance.
    Tbh I don’t see why someone hasn’t snapped it up or offered on it even if it is in that nasty green colourway.

ianpv
    Free Member

I had a spearfish and I now have a Solaris, using them for the sort of riding you describe. I wish I’d kept the spearfish, to be honest! Although they’re both great bikes hts are more fatiguing on long off road rides for me. But I’ve got a bit of a dodgy back.

adsh
    Free Member

The split pivot Spearfish is a superb bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wsL537]Ridgeway double[/url] by adshools, on Flickr

Ivinghoe and back in (relative) comfort 😉

NormalMan

Slight thread hijack – sorry.

But adsh can I get some info on the saddle model / where you got it from, etc. Please?

Would look great on my Cotic.

adsh
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi Kium from Wiggle about 2years ago.

Like this

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/fizik-gobi-kium-rail-saddle-fluo-green-limited-edition-p216094

The bad news – I can’t see any on the net.

NormalMan

Gutted 🙁

Thanks. It looks great. I’m currently on saddle number 5 in a year of hunting for the ‘right one.’

MoreCashThanDash

I have mates with both bikes – I’d hate to have to choose between them.

I’d go Spearfish and then keep an eye out for a second hand Solaris as well….

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Solaris but the Spearfish is one if the few FS bikes I’d look at getting. There’s a thread running on bearbonesbikepacking where I’ve posted the setup of my Solaris, same username.

I’ve had the bike for just over a year and it’s still just as much fun as on day one. There’s often a nagging doubt about such a purchase but I can honestly say that I’ve not had a single one about the Cotic.

NormalMan

@whitestone – you might guess who I am too after my saddle questions! (Despite the different username)

rOcKeTdOg
    weeksy

As you’re in thames valley you’re more than welcome to ride my spearfish for a day out etc.

chrisps
    Free Member

Wow, go away for a day and 18 replies – thanks guys!

Does sound like the Spearfish would be the way to go and just keep the 456 for local winter stuff when I don’t want to trash the bearings.

@rumbledethumps: How do you find the Solaris is peddling over rocky, but flat or slightly uphill ground? Thats where my 456 is dreadful. Downhill rocky, its a blast.

@jonny rocky mountain: Thanks, I had seen that… unfortunately I am 6’3″, so really need the 22″ (or at least the 20″). Pity :(.

@STATO: When you say bigger day out, do you mean just bigger stuff, as opposed to the Spearfish being tiring?

@weeksy: What size Spearfish do you have? That could be quite useful; thanks!

@rocketdog: Interesting about the ZTR Crests – I had been thinking of some of those, as the 26ers that I run on my 456 are great and have taken a right beating.

Thanks everyone!

rOcKeTdOg

Yes, I’d always fancied crests as a race rim but they were horrible.

Andy

Thames valley? I have an XL Solaris you can have a spin on if needs 😀

weeksy

Large. Just off the Ridgeway near East ilsley.

Set up 1×10 with Formula brakes, Reba race 100mm, crest/hopes.

STATO
    Free Member

@STATO: When you say bigger day out, do you mean just bigger stuff, as opposed to the Spearfish being tiring?

Sorry yes, bigger in your context of ‘bigger bike/stuff’.

I use mine all year round now, though avoid heavy mud for drivetrain longevity only. Bearings wise its solid, main pivots and linkage on mine have been no issue (i have original flex-stay model not split-pivot).

Ive got the Spearfish, rigid 29er with alfine and 26″ rigid with gears. The spearfish obviously trumps all in comfort but because it has suspension and 29er wheels i run smoother smaller tyres compared to other two, so its rapid fast on singletrack while still having grip and comfort for rougher stuff.

Also, at 6ft4 i have the 20″, which is a little small but still fine with a 100mm stem.

STATO
    Free Member

Dont have any up to date pictures (other than on FB) but this was a few years ago on an Edinburgh to Newcastle ride.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cbZqTA]Salsa Spearfish on the SUW[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

chrisps
    Free Member

@Andy – Thanks for the offer, but I actually managed to blag a ride on someones Solaris at Whinlatter last year! Thanks though 🙂

@weeksy – Might take you up on that – I pass through there reasonably often, so will give you a PM next time it is decent weather – that would be appreciated 🙂

@STATO – Thanks. Still can’t decide whether I prefer the nice simplicity of the old one or the more advanced / more complex split pivot. Nice looking ride though!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

The older one is a lot more clean looking and rides ggggreat!

As for the new Spearfish, I’m assuming it’s a heavier more complex system somewhat.

weeksy

zippykona

I have one and the rear end isn’t as plush as I would like. Had a kashima rp23 pushed and it still wasn’t that good. One of those Fox spacers sorted it out.
    It’s still not as plush as my 2000 mount vision.
    However it does steer fantastically and has been responsible for the proliferation of cheeky hour rides before dinner . No other bike has made me do that.

brassneck

However, I do find that on rocky ground, its dreadful at sapping energy as its wheels bump and catch on the terrain (the Forest of Dean this winter being a good example).

I should try some bigger tyres first – I really never felt that with mine.

That said, I’m now on a Whyte 29CS and it is better suited for the Wessex downs that I ride normally out of my door. I considered a suss, but when it came down to it the lighter HT with big wheels and tubeless fat tyres works better for me, and copes fine with the occasional trail centre / rocky day out.

STATO
    Free Member

I have one and the rear end isn’t as plush as I would like. Had a kashima rp23 pushed and it still wasn’t that good. One of those Fox spacers sorted it out.
    It’s still not as plush as my 2000 mount vision.

The old single pivot marin were quite falling rate, the spearfish curve starts falling and has a little ramp at the end. Once into sag you will be feeling the ramp as it will get there quickly due to only 80mm travel. Ive set my suspension up for bikepacking, so without bags its a little firmer than id normally pick, this has the advantage of using the flatter middle section of the suspension curve more, so it feels a bit less progressive though firm.

However it does steer fantastically and has been responsible for the proliferation of cheeky hour rides before dinner . No other bike has made me do that.

Yep, love the feel of the bike, tho ive messed with mine (-1.5 deg headset and 51mm offset fork) to make it more like the split-pivot version and i like it even more.

roverpig

Isn’t the Spearfish a bit steeper than the Solaris? I thought the Horsethief would be the more natural alternative to the Solaris, but I’ve not ridden either Salsa, so could be way off base.

adsh
    Free Member

The split pivot is heavier but very very good. I don’t feel it bottoming nor moving around much. Basically it feels like riding a comfortable hard tail.

zippykona

Bit of an update.Dropped my shock pressure to 90 psi even though I’m 12 stone and it is absolutely perfect.
    Was expecting to bottom out all over the place. It’s happened once.
    Those Fox Air Spacers are amazing.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Solaris / Salsa Spearfish’ is closed to new replies.