Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Thoughts on Pimp Factory Wheels
  • heihei

Looking at getting a set of factory wheels. Need to be 20mm on the front, QR rear, and to comfortably run 2.3 – 2.4″ tyres. Short list is:

DT EX1750
    Crossmax SX (’09)
    Easton Havoc
    Roval Traversee

Anyone got any thoughts on strengths / weaknesses of the above, and is there anything obvious I’m missing out??

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t get factory wheels, just custom build. You’ll be able to do lighter/stronger/more reliable/cheaper (usually more than one!).

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i would agree with njee20 i would also custom build (even if it is through CRC)

guitarhero
    Free Member

if you’ve got the cash there’s no reason not to go for a pimp factory set of wheels. Can recommend the Xmax SX’s, Very light for their strength, Great rim (unavailable in custom build) and pimp as Huggie Bear.
    I’ve been running two sets of first generation SX’s for a couple of years and they are still going strong with occasional lubing.
    I bought spare spokes but so far haven’t needed them and still on the original bearings.

Count
    Free Member

I put Traversee wheels on my Enduro as they worked out cheaper than a custom build and have a great spec.

Tried both custom and factory and both are fine, shop around and get what you like. I have factory mavics on a couple of bikes and these are pretty good, I am going to try Fulcrums to replace a wheel that is about to expire.

gingerflash

I too would go for custom wheels, rather than factory built. Factory wheels look flash, but often represent poorer value and spares can be expensive or hard to come by.

For a light 20/QR and a wide tyre, I’d go for Hope Pro2s or DT240s with 719s or Stans Arch. For ultimate strength heavy-duty wheels, I wouldn’t know what to get.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll second Count about the Traversee wheels.

I couldn’t find a custom set that offered the exact match of features and flexibility for the same money.

Liked them so much I got a second set.

hillsplease

Custom. At 17 stone it seems sensible to have something you can get spares easily for.

molgrips
    Free Member

Never seen a set of factory wheels that was worth it, bar the super budget ones from the big S. Custom wheels will be lighter, cheaper AND stronger. Seriously.

gingerflash

Roval Traversees seem to be about £500. There’s an awful lot of custom options for less than that! Maybe not so many that use the specialized 25mm axle though.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Never seen a set of factory wheels that was worth it, bar the super budget ones from the big S. Custom wheels will be lighter, cheaper AND stronger. Seriously.

Mavic Xmax sx. cheaper yes, lighter AND stronger, no

UK-FLATLANDER

What about some I9s? Local shop had some in and they looked really nice.

mda

The 09 Crossmax SX’s are awesome. Check out post #37 on this thread:
    null

heihei

Cheers for the input. Fair point re: custom wheels – my current wheels are C K hubs with Stans Flow rims on DT Supercomp which come in at around the same weight as the DT 1750’s and the 09 SX’s, but not as light as the Rovals. C K and Pro II’s are about the same weight but obviously cheaper. Having a couple of sets means whilst the availability of parts for factory wheels is a good point, I’ll always have a second set to fall back on.

My original aim was to learn to build my own, but got really annoyed that it would cost more to buy the parts and build myself than to buy a pair custom-built! I’m still keen to learn, so am keeping an eye out for 2nd hand bits.

i9’s could be interesting, problem is that limited distributors (think it’s just riding along that are the only stockists) means limited discounting, making them pretty expensive compared to other options.

Looks like vote is for Roval or Mavic SX’s.

njee20
    Free Member

If you really must buy factory wheels, then Rovals are excellent. They’re DT hubs, so they work and the freehub won’t fail every 45 minutes (unlike Mavic!). They do use straight pull spokes though, so if you break one, you’re pretty scuppered!

chakaping
    Free Member

Roval Traversees seem to be about £500. There’s an awful lot of custom options for less than that!

I should have said, Freeborn had the 2008 Traversees for £359 for a long time, they may still do.

I’ve always been firmly of the opinion that custom is the way to go, but the light weight and flexibility of these won me over.

molgrips
    Free Member

Crossmax SXs are £660 and 1700 odd grammes. That’s pants.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive had the eastons and i found them very heavy feeling, i now have the ex1750 and they are great nice and light but strong but fully servicable at the lbs as they are made from stock parts (oversize 240 hubs, standard dt spokes and 5.1 rims) tho they are actually more expensive than getting the same set up custom built, but they do look more bling 😉

guitarhero
    Free Member

Crossmax SXs are £660 and 1700 odd grammes. That’s pants.

Does you’re experience with these wheels stretch any further than reading specs on the internet?

molgrips
    Free Member

Does you’re experience with these wheels stretch any further than reading specs on the internet?

No, my comments were about the price and weight. But why would you pay almost £700 notes for something that heavy, unless you’re a downhiller (in which case I’d not get those)? Mavic factory wheels are traditionally no stronger than any custom wheels if not weaker, and they cost a fortune. And aren’t light. So what’s the big advantage?

guitarhero
    Free Member

No

That’s all you needed to say, the rest is worthless 😀

poppa
    Free Member

Wow, friendly.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Not meaning to be unfriendly poppa, just saying that with no experience of a product, an opinion is just that, worthless.
    i’ve edited my post above to include a smiley to make it cuddlier 😀

poppa
    Free Member

Fair enough, I’m probably over sensitive – seems like there’s a lot of bad ‘tudes on here these days! I’m sure someone who gave more of a sh1t could provide a convincing counter argument to that statement tho, but not me…

ianpinder
    Free Member

i9’s could be interesting, problem is that limited distributors (think it’s just riding along that are the only stockists) means limited discounting, making them pretty expensive compared to other options.

Since I9s don’t have an official UK distributor you can just email them and buy directly from them, the link is on their website. They can build any combo hub spoke rim option you like. You don’t have to go through just riding along which is good as they seem limited in their colours and rim options and don’t seem to care about ordering in what you want. Alternativly, your lbs can deal directly with I9 and therefore you can pick up a discount through your local lbs which is what I have done.

richc
    Free Member

how much did you pay for a set of i9’s then Ian?

ianpinder
    Free Member

They are going to be in the region of £600-£700 depending on currency fluctuations and the discount my lbs gives me. Thats with the enduro hubs in red, with red spokes and mavic 823 rims. A similar price to the kings built up on similar rims

ianpinder
    Free Member

This is a copy of the email they sent me.

Ian,

Although we do deal with Just Riding Along we do not have a dedicated
    distributor in the UK, if they do not want to build you a set of wheels with
    Mavic rims you may order them direct from us if you wish. You too may order
    from your local bike shop but they will need to contact me for the
    appropriate dealer information first. Please feel free to contact me if you
    have any further questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,

Brandi

Brandi Groff
    Industry Nine Componentry
    828-210-5113
    brandi@industrynine.net
    http://www.industrynine.net

heihei

Thanks Ian. They certainly fulfil the pimp factor!

heihei

Freeborn sold out of Roval Traversee with no new deliveries expected until June so that narrows it down a bit!

ianpinder
    Free Member

just go with i9, you won’t go wrong

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Pimp Factory Wheels’ is closed to new replies.