Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Thoughts on nicolai? 160mm gravity enduro bikes?
  • mildred

Ha ha yes, the FR is a beast of a frame by ‘modern’ standards – my medium anodised FR with Bos Devilles & a CCDB was the best suspension setup I’ve ever had. I was an absolute cock for selling that combo but somehow convinced myself I needed something else. I was wrong. I now have an ST that hardly get ridden at 42lb (66 rc3ti, CCDB, diabolous cranks & mega brakes).

Anyway built with formula megas, ex823 on pro2’s, reverb post & mountain king UST tyres, 2×9 sram with e13 DRS it weighed a useable 37lb. This was great in the alps with lift assisted riding but back home it was a bit much. I wish I’d got a Vip’r smaller brakes & used my 819 wheelset, which I calculated would’ve brought it down to around 31lb, which is fine for me.

Chainline
    Free Member

OK so I have to respond to the saddle and big tackle question! It actually isn’t very nose down at all. In that picture it is dropped as you can see and its a bit of an optical illusion against the sloping TT. It does point down a little, but only a couple of degrees (I’m a detail freak) The reason for that is its shape. Its a carbon saddle, no padding, just flex. a 72g one at that. I find it very comfortable even for 9.1/2hr days in the saddle, it wouldn’t suit everyone but that position is where its comfy. When the bike is upright and the post raised, its a pretty ‘normal’ angle. I don’t have big tackle, unfortunately!

On other matters, weight has been mentioned. It is about a 3lb weight penalty against the lightest carbon frame out there, but usually closer to 2lb, so its mostly what you hang off them. They are on a par with the best carbon frames in terms of stiffness.

Mine weighs 28lb with pedals in that guise so Fox 34 forks, 203mm discs, chainguide, dropper post, King hubs (not the lightest) xt shadow plus rear mech,31mm wide AM wheels, 750mm bars and 2.4 tyres so very acceptable for all day riding and bombproof. And its a wagon wheeler to boot.

With a 120mm German:A forks that comes down to 26lb which shows you how much difference there can be between say a 36mm fork and 32mm fork.

Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on nicolai? 160mm gravity enduro bikes?’ is closed to new replies.