Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thoughts on Intense SS1's Please
  • paul123
    Free Member

Considering the above to ride over the summer on uplifts, in the Alps (Les Arcs) and for a bike to gernerally mess about on. I don’t want a full on DH bike.

Does anyone have any thoughts on them for this kind of riding??

jes
    Free Member

So good I have two 🙂 I would recommend 180 mm forks (ran Talas last year) when pointing down.
    By day 2-3 of hitting braking bumps at warp speed you will probably yearn for a bit more travel though, the Uzzi would be slightly better.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Sounds perfect.

I took a Tracer VP to the alps this year which was good, next year will take the SS which should be even better.

Make sure it has been welded up properly before you buy; http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crooked-intense-ss-frame-fixedbodged

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

Mine was epic with a 200mm boxxer in alpe d’huez, and equally good in blighty with a 160mm lyrik. Not the lightest bike you’ll build, but that’s not the point!

paul123
    Free Member

cheers for the feedback, very trempted. I’m looking for something that will just be fun to ride and easy to pop of lips etc. still the right kind of bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do they still build wonky frames? Quality always seems to be an issue with Intense – also whats the warranty?

hamishthecat

Do they still build wonky frames? Quality always seems to be an issue with Intense – also whats the warranty?

Read the thread 🙂

deserter
    Free Member

I had one as my first dh bike, very balanced{easy to jump etc} and doesn’t feel like too much of a transition from a trail bike to a gravity one, I built it with 160 vanilla 36’s, I only changed as I’m getting old and was getting really tired after a couple of days riding

saxabar
    Free Member

I have a medium in raw I’m selling. Let me know if interested and I’ll send pics and details.

deserter
    Free Member

I got it because they were cheap 2nd hand compared to other stuff

paul123
    Free Member

Jes – looked at the Uzzi but think it just too much bike for what I want

Saxabar – I’d need a large but ta.

jes
    Free Member

Jes – looked at the Uzzi but think it just too much bike for what I want

Bit more adjustment on the Uzzi, feels a bit bigger (shallower seat tube)and the BB feels slightly higher, have to run 170 cranks and 180 forks to get any clearance on the SS1.
    The SS is very flickable and perfect for the technical DH single track runs but the Uzzi is will be more forgiving if your clocking up DH runs with bigger features/speed.
    I also thought the Uzzi pedalled a bit better with the coil shock when I first rode it, but the SS with an air shock is better but wouldn’t want to run that setup in the Alps.
    How about an SS2?

deserter
    Free Member

I ran 165mm cranks on mine, full length seat tube and front mech ability would sway me to a ss1

dans160
    Free Member

They are bloody brilliant. Having said that mine is for sale over on pinkbike. I don’t use as I just seam to ride dh these days and have another bike for that sort of thing that is more specific.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1216480/

Steve77
    Free Member

I love mine. Only downsides the super low BB meant I had to fit 165mm cranks and thinner pedals but the end result is great. Also the top linkage bolts have a habit of working loose and even with loctite I’ve lost a couple. I’ve been living in the Alps for a year and haven’t felt the need to get a proper DH bike yet

dans160
    Free Member

Running 175mm cranks on mine. I’ve never had ground issues but the stoy gives loads of mid travel support. My bolts have stayed put also.

paul123
    Free Member

Jez,
    thanks for the thoughts. SS2’s are little more than I would want to spend on my first foray into “bigger” bikes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Intense SS1's Please’ is closed to new replies.